DVR Chatter

Discussing the DCT-6412, Home Theater Devices, Entertainment, Celebrity and the Cable Industry. Not affiliated with any Cable Company, Hardware Manufacturer or Software Developer.

You are not logged in.

-->

#101 04-20-2006 5:00:20 PM

Frank
DVR Chatter Honcho
PM  Website

Re: Digital Simulcast Information: All Areas

The digital simulcast channels won't look different between the 6412 and 3412, as both were providing you with the simulcasted picture / sound.  If you had a 6412 back when there was no simulcast, you'd have noticed a difference between analog and the simulcast.  The digitally simulcasted picture looks about 100 times better than when we had the analog through the 6412.

#102 04-20-2006 5:35:59 PM

Stevehof
Charter Member
PM

shj wrote:

My 6412 crapped out, and they replaced it with a 3412.  That means we now have complete digital simulcasting here in San Jose.   But, I don't see the point.  My TV (Sony KD-34XBR960) can tune directly to both the analog and digital versions of the channels, and I can't see any significant difference between them, and I can't say that any of the previously analog channels look better via the 3412 vs. the 6412.

They won't be able to eliminate the analog channels any time soon, so it seems to me that they are just wasting bandwidth on the cable for the digital versions of the 78 analog channels.  I'd rather see them use the bandwidth for additional HD channels instead of the digital simulcast.

The point is that the 3412 costs the cable company less than the 6412, because of the lack of analog tuners.

#103 04-21-2006 7:27:55 AM

markjrenna
Charter Member
PM

And the attrition removal of Analog channels with their Digital counterpart is sooner than you think.

Cable companies that are 100% Digitally Simulcasted will start to slowly remove the Analog channel counterpart forcing those viewers to move to Digital.

#104 04-21-2006 7:53:57 AM

Frank
DVR Chatter Honcho
PM  Website

markjrenna wrote:

And the attrition removal of Analog channels with their Digital counterpart is sooner than you think.

Cable companies that are 100% Digitally Simulcasted will start to slowly remove the Analog channel counterpart forcing those viewers to move to Digital.

I'm thinking there's got to be some kind of backlash on that.  Sure, I've got digital on my main set, but what about all those other bedroom/basement/office TVs?  Maybe by 2009 13 inch TVs with QAM tuners will be out there, but I'm not seeing a lot of options right now.

#105 04-21-2006 2:44:04 PM

Bradb21
PM

Does anyone know what will happen to existing customers who have analog sets still when they start to turn off analog channels?

I have two 3412 PVR's and one set (in my kitchen) that I use for the analog channels still. Any idea what Comcast is going to do for me when they turn off those analogs. Will I have to pay a rental charge for a digital box for my kitchen?

I haven't been able to get an answer from Comcast on this issue.

I'd take one of those little digital boxes they have, but I don't really want to pay the rental charge on it. Thats where they are going to get people when they turn off the analogs (all the box charges).

Comcast - Geneva, IL
2 x 3412's with 16.20 firmware
50" Philips HD Plasma with Ambilight 2 (HDMI connected)
32" Philips HD Wide Tube (HDMI connected)

Board footer