DVR Chatter

Discussing the DCT-6412, Home Theater Devices, Entertainment, Celebrity and the Cable Industry. Not affiliated with any Cable Company, Hardware Manufacturer or Software Developer.

You are not logged in.

-->

#1 07-13-2007 8:22:36 AM

hybucket
PM

The Guide

I'm new to Comcast, and I am being told by the CSRs that the guide should run two weeks in advance.  Mine runs about a week, then spotty coverage for the next couple of days, then TO BE ANNOUNCED on everything.  The cable is not split before going into the box. I've got a tech coming down to look.  Is this common, or do they just lie about the guide being 2 weeks worth?

#2 07-13-2007 8:56:09 AM

Georgia Guy
Charter Member
PM

Re: The Guide

That was one of my biggest peeves about the 6412, which I used for more than a year.   Every time I had a momentary blip in the power, the box lost all the guide info, then took 2 days to rebuild it.  Often the box would lose the guide info own its own, randomly.  Every once in a while it would finally get to 2 weeks worth of data, then would lose it again within a day or two.  Tried getting another box, but had the same problems.....until the box simply powered off on its own, and never would start again.  That was the final straw (all the other numerous dislikes notwithstanding) and I got rid of the Comcast dvr for good.

#3 07-13-2007 10:11:57 AM

ghoofie
Charter Member
PM  Website

My guide is doing the same thing since they added OnDemand and bunch of new channels. I used to be pretty close to two solid weeks out, but as G Guy says, it took a long time to re-load. Now I'm lucky if I have a full week.   And then it's spotty after that.   It's Comcastic.

#4 07-13-2007 2:07:29 PM

hybucket
PM

ghoofie wrote:

My guide is doing the same thing since they added OnDemand and bunch of new channels. I used to be pretty close to two solid weeks out, but as G Guy says, it took a long time to re-load. Now I'm lucky if I have a full week.   And then it's spotty after that.   It's Comcastic.

Mine also got the full two-weeks at one point, then, the next morning, it was gone.  How can Comcast say that you'll get a two-week guide, when you don't?  I dropped TiVO for this?

#5 07-13-2007 3:28:00 PM

ghoofie
Charter Member
PM  Website

I wouldn't really mind if it only went out 7-10 days. My biggest complaint is that I can go out say 6 days and see that day pretty full  but day 4, for example, as lots of TBA's.  And the TBA's are not true TBA's from the network because I can see programs listed on-line .  AND...they change back/forth. I will have a program series showing for example, Eureka, to record 3 days from now. Then tomorrow, my schedule of recordings says TBA.  Now I have to remember what the heck did I have schedule in that time slot ?  Then the next day, it's back to Eureka.  (This is a true case history). So I have several TBA's on my recording schedule.

#6 07-13-2007 4:21:42 PM

andyross
Charter Member
PM  Website

The 2nd week issue has been around for awhile, and appears to be getting worse with the newer software and as more channels are added.

The best guess is a lack of memory. It starts to fill in for awhile, but then memory is reallocated for something else, and it disappears. I wrote this up in the Wikibook, under the bugs section (one hellishly long link!!)
http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/How_to_use … nounced.22

From the diagnostics, my 6412P2 appears to have 128M.

Sony KV-30XBR910, Sony STR-DB930, Sony DVP-NS55P, JVC HR-S3800U, Motorola DCT-6412, Sony KV-13FS100, OneForAll URC-8910.
Andy's UnEmpty Web Page
How to use a Motorola DVR

#7 07-14-2007 3:35:44 PM

CommTech
PM

Most of the time when you notice that your guide is reset in the mornings it is because of a system HIT it has taken during the night (or the box is power cycling for one reason or another). You can especially notice it has taken a HIT if you ever change any of your preferences (for instance, I sort my recordings by Title, after a HIT, the box is set to default of Time).  If you notice that this is happening too often, I would request a new box. 

The Central Valley (Fresno, Merced, Los Banos, Visalia) in California is prepping for ADS functionality. As a technician, I am in grave fear of this because our service calls are going to fly through the roof lol.  We are supposed to be getting the 34xx and 32xx series boxes soon. After paying attention to this forum, I am also fearing the arrival of those lol.

Comcast Cable Communications Technician - Fresno, CA system

#8 07-14-2007 4:08:06 PM

Wareagle
Charter Member
PM

What's a 32xx?  If it's a single tuner 34xx, who wants that?

#9 07-14-2007 5:15:34 PM

andyross
Charter Member
PM  Website

Wareagle wrote:

The 3208 is an SD version of the 34xx/64xx series. It will record HD, but can only output SD. At least it has S-Video out for a better picture.

Sony KV-30XBR910, Sony STR-DB930, Sony DVP-NS55P, JVC HR-S3800U, Motorola DCT-6412, Sony KV-13FS100, OneForAll URC-8910.
Andy's UnEmpty Web Page

#10 07-14-2007 5:18:09 PM

andyross
Charter Member
PM  Website

Also, I noticed that the TBA issue with titles may be fixed, at least by me. This Friday evening, I noticed that titles were complete for the full 2 weeks. Even this morning, they pretty much were, except for the very last day, and that has filled in by the afternoon. As far as I can tell, it was NOT rebooted, as my menus were still defaulting to where I had last opened them.

I'm guessing they either reformatted the Guide data a bit, reduced it's memory footprint, or sent some configuration change (maybe reserving more memory?) The box also seems to be more responsive than before.

Andy's UnEmpty Web Page

#11 07-14-2007 6:53:07 PM

Wareagle
Charter Member
PM

andyross wrote:

Wareagle wrote:

The 3208 is an SD version of the 34xx/64xx series. It will record HD, but can only output SD. At least it has S-Video out for a better picture.

Single tuner?  8GB?  Ugh!   roll

#12 07-14-2007 6:58:49 PM

Frank
DVR Chatter Honcho
PM  Website

Wareagle wrote:

andyross wrote:

Wareagle wrote:

Think it's 80GB, as a 6412 is 120 and not 12.  I'm not sure it's single-tuner, either.

#13 07-14-2007 7:33:30 PM

ghoofie
Charter Member
PM  Website

andyross wrote:

Also, I noticed that the TBA issue with titles may be fixed, at least by me. This Friday evening, I noticed that titles were complete for the full 2 weeks. Even this morning, they pretty much were, except for the very last day, and that has filled in by the afternoon. As far as I can tell, it was NOT rebooted, as my menus were still defaulting to where I had last opened them.

I'm guessing they either reformatted the Guide data a bit, reduced it's memory footprint, or sent some configuration change (maybe reserving more memory?) The box also seems to be more responsive than before.

ARRRRGGHHHHH....in my most jealous tone. No change here.

#14 07-14-2007 7:44:57 PM

Wareagle
Charter Member
PM

Frank wrote:

Wareagle wrote:

andyross wrote:

Think it's 80GB, as a 6412 is 120 and not 12.  I'm not sure it's single-tuner, either.

I meant to type 80.  (8...80...both unacceptable.)  And the Motorola numbering system would indicate it's single tuner.  I can't find anything about it online.  I found a 6208 that's a single tuner: http://broadband.motorola.com/dvr/

#15 07-15-2007 8:57:25 AM

hybucket
PM

ghoofie wrote:

I wouldn't really mind if it only went out 7-10 days. My biggest complaint is that I can go out say 6 days and see that day pretty full  but day 4, for example, as lots of TBA's.  And the TBA's are not true TBA's from the network because I can see programs listed on-line .  AND...they change back/forth. I will have a program series showing for example, Eureka, to record 3 days from now. Then tomorrow, my schedule of recordings says TBA.  Now I have to remember what the heck did I have schedule in that time slot ?  Then the next day, it's back to Eureka.  (This is a true case history). So I have several TBA's on my recording schedule.

That's exactly what's happening to me. As I said, coming from TiVO, this is unacceptable, particularly since, before I had the install, I specifically asked how far ahead the guide data went,and was assured it was "at least" two weeks.  Well, the new TiVO HD cheapo box is due out next month, and it will be bye-bye to the Motorola.

#16 07-15-2007 9:00:47 AM

andyross
Charter Member
PM  Website

Minor correction: The SD only-DVR is the 3080, not 3280. The official Motorola page is here:
http://broadband.motorola.com/business/ … settop.asp

It has no digital video outputs, either. Just composite/S-Video/RF. It does have SPDIF/optical audio out.

80G seems small, but since it's not designed for HD, it is more than enough. That is around 80 hours of SD. It does appear to have two tuners.

DCT3080 "All-Digital" Set-Top
The Motorola DCT3080 all-digital set-top combines the extraordinary features of digital cable with dual-tuner, all-digital video recording (DVR) for watch-and-record capability. The DCT3080 supports standard definition output only, and it does not support tuning analog channels on the cable plant. This all-digital DVR SD set-top rounds out Motorola's all-digital portfolio by meeting a service provider's All-Digital Simulcast (ADS) requirements.

Convenience Features

* Maintain a personal library of recorded programming
    * Records hours of Standard Definition, Enhanced Definition and High Definition programming. (Please note: HD recorded programming will be stored on the hard drive as HD, but output as SD.)
    * Pause and shift live TV programming
    * Schedule multiple recordings through the Interactive Program Guide (IPG)
    * Watch two programs and switch between them
    * Record one program while watching another
    * Record two programs at the same time
    * Watch a recorded program while recording two other programs
    * Full range of industry-standard outputs for video, audio, and data applications
    * Unswitched accessory AC outlet

Performance Features

* Supports Standard-Definition (SD)
    * Enhanced-Definition (ED), and High-Definition inputs, creating a Standard Definition only output
    * Dolby® Digital and stereo audio output
    * Digital Video Recording (DVR) services
    * Supports Video-on-Demand (VoD) programming
    * SATA connector for additional DVR capacity with an external hard drive
    * Built-in DOCSIS® cable modem for high speed connections
    * On-screen diagnostics
    * Full feature access from front panel

Andy's UnEmpty Web Page

#17 07-15-2007 10:31:48 AM

Wareagle
Charter Member
PM

I don't understand why the 3080 would even tune HD channels, just to waste its precious storage and output SD.  Why would anyone with HD consider it?

#18 07-15-2007 1:04:16 PM

Georgia Guy
Charter Member
PM

None of us HD folks would give a hoot about something that outputs only sd, but storage-wise, it does have a SATA connector for additional DVR capacity with an external hard drive.  Deals on sata drives are all over the place nowadays. I got a Seagate 500gig sata drive the other day at Fry's for $119.00, using it mainly for storage for, uh, imported mpg files on my computer, for transfer to my Tivo.  To attach an sata drive to the dvr, you would just have to get an external enclosure.

#19 07-15-2007 1:17:21 PM

Wareagle
Charter Member
PM

The Comcast 3416 also has a SATA port (mine does).  Unfortunately, it isn't functional.  The TiVo Series 3 has one that works, but I don't know who might have a Motorola box that does.

#20 07-15-2007 1:17:42 PM

Frank
DVR Chatter Honcho
PM  Website

Georgia Guy wrote:

I got a Seagate 500gig sata drive the other day at Fry's for $119.00, using it mainly for storage for, uh, imported mpg files on my computer, for transfer to my Tivo.

Not to veer too far off the topic here, but:

Series3?  Does this work?  I was under the impression that your first connection of the SATA to the TiVo automatically "blessed" it, formatting it for TiVo and rendering it inoperable when connected to other devices (i.e. the PC).

If you got this to work, I'll friggin' create a Series 3 TiVo forum on this site right now so we can discuss it. My main gripe with the S3 is not the lack of Tivo To Go (getting shows off the TiVo) but TiVo Come Back (shows from the PC to the TiVo).  If I can do that, my TV watching life will be complete.

#21 07-15-2007 2:58:14 PM

CommTech
PM

I made a post in Cable industry news that may be of some use to those disheartened by Comcast (or other) equipment.

Comcast Cable Communications Technician - Fresno, CA system

#22 07-15-2007 5:13:34 PM

Georgia Guy
Charter Member
PM

Frank wrote:

Georgia Guy wrote:

I got a Seagate 500gig sata drive the other day at Fry's for $119.00, using it mainly for storage for, uh, imported mpg files on my computer, for transfer to my Tivo.

Not to veer too far off the topic here, but:

Series3?  Does this work?  I was under the impression that your first connection of the SATA to the TiVo automatically "blessed" it, formatting it for TiVo and rendering it inoperable when connected to other devices (i.e. the PC).

If you got this to work, I'll friggin' create a Series 3 TiVo forum on this site right now so we can discuss it. My main gripe with the S3 is not the lack of Tivo To Go (getting shows off the TiVo) but TiVo Come Back (shows from the PC to the TiVo).  If I can do that, my TV watching life will be complete.

Sorry if I wasn't too clear about that.  No, the S3 won't do transfers yet. I hope it will someday.   The S3 only lets you add huge storage by attaching an external drive, but, as you said, it is "blessed" and can't be used in any other way, for now.

It is possible to use a big drive attached to a computer, and to use a dvd player attached to a tv card to copy stuff onto the drive to mpg, then transfer it to a Tivo S2.  It copies in widescreen and quality is equal to an original commercial dvd, even when played back via Tivo.  So its possible to have a large library to watch whenever one wants.  Also it can be copied onto a laptop for watching on the road.
There is a little black box that one can run the video thru before it gets to the tv card, (which lets the Tivo allow it as a transfer), removing any "problems" as it is copied to the drive.

I expect that the S3 will eventually allow this too, but for now the S2 provides a beautiful dvd-quality picture, with the convenience of a large library that resides on a computer drive. A library that consists of anything you might want.

You have probably already seen something like this yourself.

#23 07-15-2007 7:11:14 PM

Wareagle
Charter Member
PM

CommTech wrote:

I made a post in Cable industry news that may be of some use to those disheartened by Comcast (or other) equipment.

Give us a hint... or better yet, a link.

(Never mind.  I see now that you meant on this forum.)

Last edited by Wareagle (07-15-2007 7:12:36 PM)

#24 07-16-2007 4:29:08 PM

andyross
Charter Member
PM  Website

Wareagle wrote:

I don't understand why the 3080 would even tune HD channels, just to waste its precious storage and output SD.  Why would anyone with HD consider it?

Some HD channels (Discovery, some PBS) are not the same as their SD counterparts and may carry different material. Downconverted HD will probably be higher quality than normal digital SD.

Last edited by andyross (07-16-2007 4:29:29 PM)

Andy's UnEmpty Web Page

#25 07-29-2007 8:04:53 AM

andyross
Charter Member
PM  Website

andyross wrote:

Well, it was nice while it lasted. Here it is, TWO weeks (sound familiar?) later, and it's back to TBA's in the second week and many cases of remote delay.

Andy's UnEmpty Web Page

Board footer