DVR Chatter

Discussing the DCT-6412, Home Theater Devices, Entertainment, Celebrity and the Cable Industry. Not affiliated with any Cable Company, Hardware Manufacturer or Software Developer.

You are not logged in.

-->

#51 06-05-2007 10:08:09 AM

LowLight21
PM

Re: Comcast Versus Verizon FiOS Channel Comparison: Lower Bucks County PA

Will you keep the Series3 for a backup or what?  If you had known that you could watch multiple HD shows at a time with the 6416, would you have still purchased the Series3?

#52 06-05-2007 10:41:12 AM

jganyard
PM

Interesting... good question.  Now that you know Verizon FiOS will handle multiple HD channels does that negate the need for the Series 3?  Are you going to have to send your new toy back?

#53 06-05-2007 10:42:17 AM

Frank
DVR Chatter Honcho
PM  Website

My wife and I discussed it and decided we are keeping the Series3.  However, I don't know if I'd have purchased it knowing what I know now.   We were quite used to having the option of recording up to 4 shows over Comcast / Basic Cable (2 6412  / 2 Series2), and this would not have been as flexible with the 6416 + Series2 (only locals + weatherscan local over the Coax).  My guess is that we'd have gone with a multiple-room DVR setup (1 up / 1 down) leasing the two multi-room DVRs from Verizon, but I don't know. 

Were it not for the rebate (and Verizon's $3 cable cards), it'd be a tougher decision.  I think it's pretty well documented around here that I had no desire for a Series3  under Comcast.

#54 06-05-2007 11:07:00 AM

LowLight21
PM

I'm switching to FiOS in a second if and when they spread out to the Minneapolis/St. Paul area.  Frank mentioning multi-room capabilities made me start researching FiOS further, and I came across this: http://www22.verizon.com/content/fiostv/dvr/dvr/dvr.htm

Since they're doing multi-room with the 6416, this means that Comcast could, but will they?  Are projects like this totally on the backburner until they roll out Tivo?

#55 06-05-2007 2:06:10 PM

Wareagle
Charter Member
PM

Frank, how does the performance of the 3 different guides compare (your old Comcast iGuide, Verizon, and TiVo), especially in terms of bugs and the remote DVR transport control?  I can guess that TiVo is fine, but I'm curious as to whether the Verizon s/w has managed to overcome the inherent problems with the Motorola firmware.  If it has, then there may be hope for the (eventual?) Comcast TiVo guide with Motorola.

#56 06-05-2007 3:05:13 PM

Frank
DVR Chatter Honcho
PM  Website

Haven't had enough of a chance to play with it to really make a call, but (with the aforementioned exception of FF and RW taking A BIT longer to engage) it seems overall much more zippy than IGuide on a 6412.  I'll report back after TV viewing tonight with more specifics.

#57 06-06-2007 12:28:49 AM

Frank
DVR Chatter Honcho
PM  Website

OK - we admittedly used the TiVo more than the QIP-6416 tonight, but I did get a little chance to mess around with it.  Based on the diagnostic and set-up screens, it has the same guts and firmware as a DCT-6412.  Same inability to pass through native resolution.

This list is bound to be incomplete, and is going to get all mixed up with Hardware / Service differences.  Maybe you guys should let me know whether I should keep updating this same post with new stuff as I find it (while the post gets buried) or just add new posts.  Also, this discussion will quickly need to move to another area of the site.  I am considering a "Verizon FiOS TV" section.  Thoughts on that are welcome in the "DVR Chatter Talk" area.

Worse than Comcast DCT-6412 w/ IGuide:
*No "Swap" button that I can find out about
*Very slightly slower response to "FF" and "RW" commands in DVR
*"Little Window" with live TV / current recording is smaller than IGuide
*No HD On Demand (yet - it's coming)
*0 Free Movies On Demand (not counting the premiums you subscribe to)

Better than Comcast DCT-6412 w/ IGuide:
*Faster On Demand response (Both menus and FF/RW)
*Better PQ On Demand
*Astoundingly better PQ on National SD channels. Better than DirecTV in its heyday (before addition of locals). 
*More HD offerings
*Faster cruising through menus
*Have not had a remote command queued yet
*Faster channel changing (Comcast 6412 was not "flipping" friendly.  Verizon 6416 is very much so)
*FF "Jump Back" (I've read this - I have not experienced it)
*Time Padding on recordings:
    This takes an explanation. All recordings start a minute early and end two minutes late UNLESS you are recording back to back on both tuners (time wise, not necessarily the same channel). In that case, the software is smart enough to drop the padding in between the shows and only pad the front of the first set and then end of the last.  Less chance you'll miss the beginning/end of a show, and less chance you'll create conflicts by padding yourself.  I find this ingenious.
*Seemed to receive full guide faster when first plugged in
*Better Searching (Search by Actor and/or description)
*6-Line Guide: No Ads
*Remove Channels you do not get / want to see from guide

As far as the TiVo goes, because it passes through native resolution and because it's hooked up via HDMI (only one input on my TV), it's become our "primary" box.  I have my same gripes about the TiVo as I always have, though.

1. No functionality is available when you're watching a recording / Limited Functionality while watching Live TV.  I like the Comcast/Verizon model of letting me access guides and menus while I'm playing a recording and watching TV on a little window on the screen. (TiVo does "Guide" during Live TV, but nothing else).
2. Slow, Slow, Slow navigation.  The Series3 is better on this in MOST areas, but much worse in one very key area and that is "Search by Time/Channel."  If I go in, just use my Favorite Channels (Local HDs Only - We're talking 5 channels here), select the date and time and hit "OK" to bring up the listings, I may as well just go make a sandwich because it's going to be a while.  That is no lie. 3 minutes chugging away before I got up.  Not even "Please Wait."  Then, once I wanted to page down to see the next hour's worth, same thing.

Additionally Verizon will be rolling out a sleek new guide this summer.

Questions on anything and everything welcome.  I think my friend the DCT-6412 and I are parting ways tomorrow afternoon.  Retaining the bare minimum basic cable and Internet while we wrap up our email and make sure we didn't miss anything (mailing lists, friends, etc).

#58 06-06-2007 9:46:25 AM

Wareagle
Charter Member
PM

Your description of the FiOS guide sounds very similar to the Microsoft guide we're about to lose in a few weeks.  I recall seeing some screen shots that looked just like ours some time ago.  (I'm going to miss the channel pruning.)

#59 06-06-2007 10:45:45 AM

shj
PM

Frank wrote:

2. Slow, Slow, Slow navigation.  The Series3 is better on this in MOST areas, but much worse in one very key area and that is "Search by Time/Channel."  If I go in, just use my Favorite Channels (Local HDs Only - We're talking 5 channels here), select the date and time and hit "OK" to bring up the listings, I may as well just go make a sandwich because it's going to be a while.  That is no lie. 3 minutes chugging away before I got up.  Not even "Please Wait."  Then, once I wanted to page down to see the next hour's worth, same thing.

Very strange.  My ancient (6 years old) series 1 TiVo has no such delays.  Bringing up listings from "Search by Time/Channel" is essentially instantaneous, as is paging down to the next hour.

Did you see similar delays on your Series 2 TiVo's?  If it's just on the Series 3, it sounds like a bug, and you might try to contact TiVo about it.

#60 06-06-2007 10:59:51 AM

Frank
DVR Chatter Honcho
PM  Website

shj wrote:

Frank wrote:

Very strange.  My ancient (6 years old) series 1 TiVo has no such delays.  Bringing up listings from "Search by Time/Channel" is essentially instantaneous, as is paging down to the next hour.

Did you see similar delays on your Series 2 TiVo's?  If it's just on the Series 3, it sounds like a bug, and you might try to contact TiVo about it.

Did not see it on my ancient Series1 or newer Series2.  Just Series3, may have something to do with the billion channels available through CableCard.  I'll give it a few days.

#61 06-06-2007 12:42:32 PM

Frank
DVR Chatter Honcho
PM  Website

Walked my 6412 into the local Comcast office and handed it back today (along with the remote I never used). Got to admit, I felt a little melancholy.  Not for the bugs and the crashes, but because without it I'd have never come in contact with any of you great folks.

The only constant is change.

#62 06-06-2007 2:06:03 PM

Wareagle
Charter Member
PM

Awww shucks, Frank.  We like it here.   tongue

#63 06-06-2007 4:19:25 PM

andyross
Charter Member
PM  Website

Some of this should be added to the Wikibook.

Sony KV-30XBR910, Sony STR-DB930, Sony DVP-NS55P, JVC HR-S3800U, Motorola DCT-6412, Sony KV-13FS100, OneForAll URC-8910.
Andy's UnEmpty Web Page
How to use a Motorola DVR

Board footer