DVR Chatter

Discussing the DCT-6412, Home Theater Devices, Entertainment, Celebrity and the Cable Industry. Not affiliated with any Cable Company, Hardware Manufacturer or Software Developer.

You are not logged in.

-->

#26 05-21-2007 9:58:17 AM

Frank
DVR Chatter Honcho
PM  Website

Re: Comcast Versus Verizon FiOS Channel Comparison: Lower Bucks County PA

Well the timing of the price break does seem to be a bit of kismet, doesn't it?

I'm going to post each decision and step I take during the switch here.  At most it will help others who are in the same boat as me.  At worst, I'll have a detailed history of the monumental occasion of having nothing whatsoever to do with Comcast for the first time in 8 years.  Maybe the timing will be such that it will be EXACTLY 8 years after I invited Comcast back into my life (Saturday June 26, 1999: Basic Cable for local channels after DirecTV had to drop me from the national feeds) when I am finally rid of them.

Anyway, I've been running OTA HD signal reception tests during different parts of the day and different weather conditions by hooking my existing rooftop antenna to the HD Tuner Card in my computer.  I am deliberately using more cable than will be needed to simulate worst case scenarios.  I'm also running it through the much discussed Motorola signal booster, which seems to juice it about 5% and stabilize fluctuations. 

All network signals are in the 90-100% range (CBS, ABC and CW are pegged at 100%) except FOX, which antennaweb.org has listed among the lowest strength stations at my location.  Fox fluctuates between 55-75%.  However, my rooftop antenna is mis-aimed by about 65 degrees, so I have to get over my fear of climbing onto my very steep Cape Cod roof and rotate it a bit.  Some of the rods on the antenna are bent to hell, too.  Hopefully, fixing those issues will clear up the Fox problem.  I also have a newer, better rooftop antenna that I purchased some time ago on standby if need be.

My next step is to wait until the rebate offer is active and then get the Series3 TiVo in here. I want to make sure I have 100% reliability in recording OTA HD programs before going further and scheduling the FiOS switch.

Using the $400 after-rebate figure and the previous 3 year life expectancy for the TiVo, the TV Cost --> TV Cost comparison per month is better yet: I save $6.44 a month by switching from Comcast into HD TiVo + FiOS AND get a pretty cool piece of equipment to boot!  That just about pays the extra $7.04 a month I'll be paying for the upgraded Internet.

#27 05-23-2007 7:35:35 PM

Frank
DVR Chatter Honcho
PM  Website

Just read that Verizon is raising it's HD DVR charge to $15.99 per month for new customers who sign up after July 13. Existing customers prior to that date will continue paying $12.99. Further motivation for me to get moving!

#28 05-23-2007 7:50:36 PM

Wareagle
Charter Member
PM

Frank --

Is that for the DVR/system that will only allow for one HD feed at a time, or have you found out that isn't the case?

#29 05-23-2007 9:55:55 PM

Frank
DVR Chatter Honcho
PM  Website

No matter what DVR you have, you're only getting 1 HD channel in the house over FiOS (per FiOS Customer Service) due to bandwidth limitations.

#30 05-23-2007 9:59:41 PM

Wareagle
Charter Member
PM

I understand, and for me that wouldn't work (although it's academic here in Washington).  Are you planning on using the TiVo S3 to record OTA signals to supplement the FiOS?

#31 05-23-2007 10:59:43 PM

Frank
DVR Chatter Honcho
PM  Website

Yes.  Details about 5 posts up.

#32 05-27-2007 2:58:55 AM

Frank
DVR Chatter Honcho
PM  Website

UPDATE: Waited until 5/27 on the West Coast (where Amazon is located) and ordered the Series3 TiVo under the rebate.  Next step is to test OTA HD signals in full with the TiVo when it arrives.  Then, if all is well, to schedule the FiOS install. Stay Tuned, folks. 

By the way, my signal strength via Comcast has gotten considerably weaker in the past three days. My analog signal on channels 2-7 is nearly unwatchable, even with the signal booster. I was so relieved to know that I would NOT have to be going back and forth with Comcast (level 1 techs and then line repair) to figure out the problem.  The spring TV season is over, and in a few weeks it won't be my problem any longer.

Viva la revolution. Viva Fiber Optics. All hail competition.

#33 05-27-2007 2:38:32 PM

LowLight21
PM

Will FiOS ever be able to deliver two simultaneous HD feeds, or is that a permanent limitation of the fiber's bandwidth?  Can anyone explain why fiber isn't able to deliver this, but our current Comcast lines can?

#34 05-27-2007 6:14:18 PM

salspalden
PM

LowLight21 wrote:

Will FiOS ever be able to deliver two simultaneous HD feeds, or is that a permanent limitation of the fiber's bandwidth?  Can anyone explain why fiber isn't able to deliver this, but our current Comcast lines can?

I don't know the answer to this but as for Comcast....I have 2 DVR's, have had them recording 2 HD shows each while another HDTV with an HD (non DVR) box tuned another channel.

5 HD channels. I wonder what the limit is?

Verizon must be banking on people being in the dark about this or not caring but once people install FIOS with DVR and find they can't watch one channel while recording another, then add an HDTV in another room and find they have to watch the same channel as the first TV....they will not be amused.

Or do I not have an accurate understanding of FIOS?

Sals

BTW Frank...it's squirrels. You have to call Comcast and tell them you SEE the squirrels chewing the junction boxes so they send maintenance out and not another tech to your house who never relays the info to maintenance.....of course, if the lines are underground then blame moles. (But you're a Bensalem guy so I'm guessing you're on my side of Rt1 where we still have poles.

#35 05-27-2007 6:55:34 PM

Frank
DVR Chatter Honcho
PM  Website

I do not know the answers to these FiOS questions, but I suspect it's a limitation of the same technology that ensures there is no limit to the number of channels FiOS can offer (while there is a physical limit to the number of channels cable can offer).  Only the requested channel is sent to you from what I understand, while cable sends all channels over the line all the time.

I have to admit, I have been reading and reading and reading some more on the Internet when it comes to FiOS and HD and the only confirmation I have that there is this limit is the word of that seemingly knowledgeable CS rep.  Andy mentioned it here a long time ago and I went reading then and found nothing, and now that FiOS is becoming a reality in my little world I'm still not seeing it.  I've been reading about the Series3 TiVo and people using it with cable cards over FiOS and have seen nothing about any one HD program limitation.  You'd think those folks would have mentioned it.  Who knows.

I will be able to report in a few weeks with my own experience.

Now you tell me the squirrel thing!  Could have used that info back when I anticipated a continuing relationship with Comcast and was having line problems!

#36 05-27-2007 10:29:14 PM

shj
PM

salspalden wrote:

I don't know the answer to this but as for Comcast....I have 2 DVR's, have had them recording 2 HD shows each while another HDTV with an HD (non DVR) box tuned another channel.

Traditional cable systems like Comcast transmit all their channels on the cable all the time.  You can watch or record as many of them at one time as you have TVs and DVRs.

#37 05-28-2007 5:40:44 AM

salspalden
PM

shj wrote:

salspalden wrote:

Traditional cable systems like Comcast transmit all their channels on the cable all the time.  You can watch or record as many of them at one time as you have TVs and DVRs.

Thank you shj....

So, that being the case, how can FIOS be a considered alternative?

Leaving price out of the equation since were talking about an indulgance rather than a necessity...why limit yourself to one HD channel at a time and then trying to make up for that by capturing two more OTA using a Tivo.

So, now you can get 3 HD channels but 2 of them have to be OTA and you still miss a lot of Phillies games.

Believe me, I hate dealing with Comcast as much or more than the rest of you but FIOS seems like a poor alternative so it seems to me that Comcast is the better deal.

Plus, I get to keep complaining.

Sals

#38 05-28-2007 9:46:31 AM

Frank
DVR Chatter Honcho
PM  Website

There comes a point when "the deal" is not everything.   Even so, FiOS is the better deal FOR ME.

So, now you can get 3 HD channels but 2 of them have to be OTA and you still miss a lot of Phillies games.

"Have to be OTA" is not exactly a drawback.  The only non OTA HD shows I really record are Sopranos and Entourage.  Sopranos will be over by the time I'm switched.  I'll only be "missing" the Phillies games that are broadcast on CN8 at the beginning of the season.

In my real world application, I'm going from 2 HD channels at a time to 3 HD channels at a time PLUS getting Internet that's 2.5 times faster PLUS getting digital cable in two rooms in the house where it currently is not PLUS acquiring a much coveted Series3 TiVo PLUS flipping the bird to Comcast for about $6.50 less a month.

#39 05-28-2007 7:01:59 PM

salspalden
PM

Frank wrote:

There comes a point when "the deal" is not everything.   Even so, FiOS is the better deal FOR ME.

"Have to be OTA" is not exactly a drawback.  The only non OTA HD shows I really record are Sopranos and Entourage.  Sopranos will be over by the time I'm switched.  I'll only be "missing" the Phillies games that are broadcast on CN8 at the beginning of the season.

In my real world application, I'm going from 2 HD channels at a time to 3 HD channels at a time PLUS getting Internet that's 2.5 times faster PLUS getting digital cable in two rooms in the house where it currently is not PLUS acquiring a much coveted Series3 TiVo PLUS flipping the bird to Comcast for about $6.50 less a month.

Maybe I shouldn't have used the word "deal". Forgetting the cost comparisons, I see FIOS as being much less flexible.

You could have digital in all the rooms you want with either provider but with FIOS, you have to tune all those tv's to the same hi def channel.

If I had your viewing habits, I might consider FIOS a viable alternative but I would hate to not be able to watch HBO, record Showtime, record Discovery HD.....but I see your point if most of your viewing is network tv.

It just seems to me your vision is being clouded by your desire to screw Comcast. I would like to as well but switching to a convoluted, less flexible and marginally less expensive alternative is not for me and I doubt Comcast will lose any sleep over it.

Please don't be offended, I hope your choice pleases you and you keep us posted on how satisfied you are.

Sals

#40 05-28-2007 7:24:49 PM

Frank
DVR Chatter Honcho
PM  Website

Not offended.  There's a certain amount of second guessing that's going to go on anyway, even here.  That's what this whole thread is for in the end.  Kind of a trip-tik detailing my mental process, the ins and outs, etc.  I suspect that, as FiOS becomes available in more and more areas, there will be plenty of folks faced with this same decision. 

Let's not get hung up on the whole "1 high def show at a time thing."  For one, adding in the TiVo with OTA has made that a non-issue for me. But also this information is according to a Verizon customer service rep.  I also had a Verizon customer service rep tell me the exact opposite after allegedly talking with his supervisor.  I'm going to wait until the box is in my house before making a final pronouncement on the whole 1 high def thing.

It's less a desire to "screw Comcast" than it is an overwhelming desire to not have anything to do with them and their ratty network anymore.  In my experience, Verizon treats their network as much more "mission critical" than Comcast.  No matter what else is out, my phone is on. 

So I worked out a plan that will meet my needs, get me a nice new coveted piece of equipment, get me faster Internet, get me more channels in more rooms, and save me a couple of bucks a month.

If I was out to "screw Comcast" over all else without regard to how it will effect my viewing habits, I'd have switched back to DirecTV ages ago.  Hell, I still have all the stuff.  It would have been a no brainer.

They will not lose sleep when I do it, and others may not be motivated until that last straw hits their back like it hit mine.  However, knowing Comcast, a lot more folks than they want are going to get hit by that straw.

#41 05-31-2007 8:34:26 AM

Frank
DVR Chatter Honcho
PM  Website

Well step one of my transition is complete.  My new toy - the Series3 TiVo - arrived yesterday.  Immediately de-boxed and hooked up via my TV's one remaining HD input: HDMI.  I was surprised to find a HDMI cable within the box, but I guess at that price I shouldn't have been.

Hooked it up to my existing rooftop antenna (which, if you remember, has some bent elements and is pointed about 60 in the wrong direction.  I'm about 15 1/2 miles from the transmitters). Got great signal with no amplification on all but two channels: FOX (readings between 0 and 30% - mostly zero) and PBS (ditto).  Decided I would go onto my steep Cape Cod style roof and redirect the antenna to the right compass direction once it cooled down outside.

I also hooked up the cable line that was previously feeding my Series2. It won't be available once my transition is complete, but I figured I'd give it a try and poke around whatever Clear QAM channels it could find.  Did a channel scan and found about 425 available channels between the antenna and cable feeds.

Activated the box and noticed that a service update was ready to install pending restart.  Restarted.  Got a message that the service update was in progress and would take "an hour or more." Actually took only 20 minutes: probably due to there being very little data on the drive.

I used that time to pick around the internet. I found out that the SD bitrate for Best Quality seems to be about 25% higher than on my Series2, which kind of matched my visual observations.  Don't think I'll be using it for much SD after the switch, but it's good to know.  HD is, of course, uncompressed.

Once the service update was complete, I got out the ladder and decided to hit the roof.  However, once I got to the top my fears took over and I kind of stood there for a minute or two.  The mast has one of those rotor motors on it, and both seem considerably older than the antenna itself.  The wire for the rotor terminates in my basement with no controller attached.  Convinced myself that once I got up there I probably wouldn't be able to rotate it anyway.  Got down off the ladder.  Decided to seek other alternatives for an antenna.  Will likely get one of these to mount to the side of the house.

I set up two HD recordings (CW and ABC) on the TiVo.  Headed back to the computer.  At about 8:10, Internet went dead.  Turned on analog TV set.  Picture flicking in and out.  Checked 6412.  Picture stuttering and stammering.  Checked TiVo.  Steady 70% signal and recording fine (CW).  Pointed out to wife, who was fearful of OTA recording due to a previous bad experience when we lived about 8 miles further away from the towers in a shorter house and tried to use an indoor antenna.  Her two word reaction: "F'n Comcast."  Mission accomplished.  Comcast signal problem lasted about 15 minutes, tanking our recordings of So You Think You Can Dance and Hidden Palms.

Series3 is missing video transfer for now due to Cable Card certification requirements (we mainly use computer -> TiVo transfers, not clear why that would be a copyright issue to Cable Card labs).  After the service update, everything else is there. 

Found a lot of QAM channels on the cable, but without Cable Cards it doesn't know what they are and you cannot use the guide to do recordings on them (must do manual recordings like a VCR on these channels).  Won't matter after the switch, but mentioning because it may be useful information to folks who think they're going to get a Series3 and then record HD shows over cable without the added expense of buying Cable Cards from Comcast.

I'll report back in when I have more.  Once I get the antenna issue worked out, it'll be time to schedule the FiOS install.

#42 06-02-2007 11:35:21 AM

Frank
DVR Chatter Honcho
PM  Website

Quick update for the interested.

Called Verizon Friday, and they were able to give me a MONDAY install date for FiOS.  I'll have a definitive "with my own eyes" answer on the whole "2 HD Show" issue then.

I did wind up getting a small, wall mount amplified antenna and hooked it up pointed in the right direction via a 25ft run of RG6 cable.  This significantly improved reception on FOX (which is now usable and stable), but the lower altitude has decreased signal strength / quality on two other stations (NBC-10 and the "if The Tube wasn't on the subchannel I wouldn't care" MyPHL 17) to the point where I am now getting some breakup on those.   Neither is unwatchable by any means, but my goal is "rock solid."  And, by the way, my Comcast feed has become decidedly un-rock solid over the past week or two for some reason.

The OTA breakups may be correctable via adjusting the tilt of the antenna and tweaking the aim, but I am also considering experimenting with hooking the two antennas together via an inverted splitter.  I know there are all kinds of physics type issues with this due to the two signals hitting the two antennas at slightly different times, but it can't hurt to try and see what happens.  All in all though, OTA seems to be pretty solid at my location.

Hooking the TiVo up via HDMI plus the fact that the TiVo sends video IN NATIVE RESOLUTION has provided quite a picture quality boost for HD.  Don't know if this is also due to pulling it in OTA, but A/B-ing shows recorded on the 6412 against shows recorded on the TiVo (even 1080i shows, for which the native resolution thing wouldn't matter) shows a clear improvement in clarity.  So much so that my wife, who self-admittedly has no eye for video quality, commented on the improved picture one minute into our first HD show on the TiVo.  Having read that normal folks (of which I am one) usually notice no difference between HDMI and component, I am left wondering whether Comcast hasn't begun doing some processing on HD signals.

That's all for now.  Updates as they occur.

#43 06-03-2007 12:08:44 PM

Wareagle
Charter Member
PM

Frank --

Have you filled up your TiVo and added an external eSATA drive yet?  cool

#44 06-03-2007 12:27:44 PM

Frank
DVR Chatter Honcho
PM  Website

Wareagle wrote:

Have you filled up your TiVo and added an external eSATA drive yet?  cool

Not yet, but there's always hope smile

Got an automated confirmation call from Verizon about tomorrow's appointment yesterday afternoon.  That's an efficiency I'm not used to.

The whole "couping the antennas" thing didn't really work out. With the aid of my wife and two walkies, though, we were able to get the amplified radio shack antenna aimed well enough to correct most of the problems.  A storm is headed in here today, so that'll be a good OTA stability test.

BTW, after spending a lot of time this weekend reading about FiOS, I'm starting to get the impression that the whole "1 HD show at a time" thing may be a red herring.  Hands on report (hopefully) tomorrow evening.

#45 06-03-2007 12:43:07 PM

Wareagle
Charter Member
PM

Frank wrote:

BTW, after spending a lot of time this weekend reading about FiOS, I'm starting to get the impression that the whole "1 HD show at a time" thing may be a red herring.  Hands on report (hopefully) tomorrow evening.

You'd think it would be worth the effort for them to actively counter that.  Let's hope for the sake of your setup that it's not a limitation.

#46 06-04-2007 8:37:31 AM

Frank
DVR Chatter Honcho
PM  Website

Install underway. Tech was prompt and is courteous and knowledgeable.

#47 06-04-2007 12:14:04 PM

jganyard
PM

Frank wrote:

Install underway. Tech was prompt and is courteous and knowledgeable.

Waiting with bated breath for your next report!

#48 06-04-2007 6:45:07 PM

Frank
DVR Chatter Honcho
PM  Website

OK - so here's the deal.

The guy called promptly at 8 and arrived at 8:30.  I gave him the tour of my wiring set up and explained what I wanted where.  Then he started stringing my Fiber Optic to the pole.  Then he put the junction box type thing (which I learned is called an ONT) on the side of the house and wired it up.  Then he went into the basement and put my battery backup and all that rigmarole together.  That was, oh, about 11.  In about a half hour my phone was switched over.  He gave me the heads up that my Comcast Internet would be going down as he was disconnecting me entirely from Comcast and tapping my house wiring into FiOS.  Yay.  About 15 minutes later, we migrated my computers onto the Verizon.net network.  All was good.  12:30.

Then he and I ran around and put the STBs where they needed to be.  In the meantime, I decided I wanted CableCards for my Series3 TiVO after all - why not, they're only $3 a month each.  We're on a roll.  He hates doing CableCards because apparently they're finicky.  But we're going forward.

We start setting up the CableCards.  TiVo instructions say to activate one at at time.  We install the first one, he goes onto his network to activate it...failed.  He calls HQ.  Apparently, the authorization system for all of PA is down.  No STBs or CableCards can be activated at this time.  OK - there's other stuff to do.  We work out a minor phone issue.  Try again.  Still down.  This is about 1:30 PM.  All I have is what comes over their Coax connection: local channels (w/ HD versions in QAM), WGN out of Chicago for some reason, and weatherscan local.

Long story short - he sat in my driveway (at my request) until about 7PM, checking every 15 minutes, and the authorization system never came up. To his credit, he then re-hooked me back up to Comcast for the night.  Everything.  It's all back to Comcast.

An update on the "1 HD at a time" issue.  I think it's bogus.  I had my QAM Tuner card tuned to an HD channel and the Series3 TiVo connected to the Coax feed tuned to a different HD channel.  I'm not ready to say 100% that it's a flat out lie, but I'm at about 75%.

He'll be back tomorrow.  Same guy, allegedly.  All the equipment is here.  Would a Comcast installer have spent 11 hours on site? Doubt it.

#49 06-05-2007 9:43:08 AM

jganyard
PM

Man alive Frank... that's dedication to getting the job done.  Then again he's probably paid hourly by Verizon vs. Comcast's mostly contracted installer force who get paid by the job.  When I moved this past week (hence why I dropped off and haven't antagonized you lately wink ) the Comcast installer didn't want to get into the crawlspace to do the install.  Lucky for him that I was okay with that since I knew we had a spider cricket problem down there and am a nice enough guy to not insist on someone going where I wouldn't.  I let him run a cable down our gutters for now.  I was planning on re-wiring for network anyway so I guess I'll just do coax at the same time down the road.

I must say I'm really enjoying this.  I'm living vicariously through your experience.  Hopefully AT&T will roll out uVerse in our area soon.  I have heard complaints about them only handling 1 HD at a time also.

#50 06-05-2007 9:47:26 AM

Frank
DVR Chatter Honcho
PM  Website

And so it goes...the switch is complete.

First and foremost, the "1 HD Channel at a time per household" is 100%, complete and total BUNK.  A lie.  A slander.  Using the Verizon DVR (QIP6416) and my Series3 TiVo with 2 CableCards, I recorded **4** shows from HD channels simultaneously this morning with no glitches.

For those following "the story," my same guy arrived this morning at 8:15 AM.  He hooked me back into the FiOS system.  We flipped my computers off my old router (connected to the Cable Modem) and back onto the Verizon-provided router.  Speed tested (www.speakeasy.net), and actually am getting BETTER than the 15/2 I'm paying for.  My last speed test with Comcast yesterday showed 1031 kBps/731 kBps.  What a joke.

We installed the CableCards per the instructions that came with the TiVo.  One at a time.  1st one initialized and then activated.  2nd one initialized and then activated.  All channels appear on the TiVo on both tuners, including Premium (HBO).

Connected and powered up the 6416.  Downloaded firmware and software and had time display in about 10 minutes.  Initialized - got IP address - activated and up and running. Menus and guide appeared almost immediately.  All channels working, including HBO.  Tested VOD. All active including HBO.

Did not need to change anything on my Harmony remote in order to operate the 6416.  Even 30 sec skip still works as it did on the 6412. FF and RW take a little bit longer to activate than on the 6412, but everything else (menus, guide, setting up recordings) is faster.  The 6416 hard drive makes NO noise whatsoever.

Was told by the installer that there is a cooling fan inside the 6416, but I do not see evidence of this.  USB port (marked USB 2.0) on the front is active but seemed to be powered weird (cooler started freaking out).  Worked fine on the back USB port (just marked USB).

Connected up the 2 STD STBs (QIP 2500).  Same as above.  Time display after firmware / software DL then full menus and guide and channels.  Tested premium (HBO) and VOD.  All is well.

All cables etc were provided (with spares in a case where I requested).  My installer was 100% pro and 100% helpful and 100% out to make sure I was satisfied with every aspect of the install.

Everything was signed and dated and the guy was out of my driveway by 9:35 AM.

Board footer