DVR Chatter

Discussing the DCT-6412, Home Theater Devices, Entertainment, Celebrity and the Cable Industry. Not affiliated with any Cable Company, Hardware Manufacturer or Software Developer.

You are not logged in.

-->

#1 08-10-2006 4:34:06 PM

Excitableboy
PM

Don't re-record what I've already watched

Every night I turn on my Comcast DVR I have to spend several minutes to delete multiple shows Ive already seen.  If I go away for a few days, the drive can fill up way early with these already viewed shows in hi def.  Deadwood, Entrourage, anything that repeats first run shows during the week.  My old TIVO used to remember what I watched and not re-record them.  I think the software kept a list for about 30 days of watched shows.  It seem like an easy fix for comcast...  Am I missing somthing?

#2 08-10-2006 6:34:02 PM

Wareagle
Charter Member
PM

Re: Don't re-record what I've already watched

Why not delete the duplicates from the list of scheduled programs every week or so before they record?  Same deletions, and they won't fill up the disk or interfere with other recordings.

#3 08-10-2006 6:42:13 PM

ghoofie
Charter Member
PM  Website

Wareagle wrote:

Why not delete the duplicates from the list of scheduled programs every week or so before they record?  Same deletions, and they won't fill up the disk or interfere with other recordings.

That's what I do.  But sometimes when the guide updates, the scheduled recording  gets set again.  So I have to delete the same program , same day/time again.

I have a few series recordings set because I wanna be sure I don't forget to set them in a given week.  There are still some stations out there that I guess don't broadcast   new/repeat in a way that I-guide recognizes, so they all look NEW.
I've caught a few marathons scheduled to record that way.  Marathon Monk is good for that.

#4 08-10-2006 7:08:05 PM

Wareagle
Charter Member
PM

I haven't had any deletions reappear (Microsoft guide s/w), but most of the time it won't record duplicates if I forget to delete them, even though they're on the list.  As long as they're listed they can interfere with other recordings at the same time, though, so I try to remember to prune the list.

#5 08-11-2006 5:06:20 PM

andyross
Charter Member
PM  Website

One workaround for programs that are on at a regular date/time is to use the VCR-style manual recording, where you specify start/end time, channel, and how often to repeat. The only drawback is that it will only display as a date and time in the MyDvr list instead of by the title.

Sony KV-30XBR910, Sony STR-DB930, Sony DVP-NS55P, JVC HR-S3800U, Motorola DCT-6412, Sony KV-13FS100, OneForAll URC-8910.
Andy's UnEmpty Web Page
How to use a Motorola DVR

#6 08-14-2006 10:31:37 AM

jganyard
PM

For HBO shows that I enjoy watching I don't even bother recording them since they are always available OnDemand.

#7 08-14-2006 11:38:26 AM

Brewer247
PM

jganyard wrote:

For HBO shows that I enjoy watching I don't even bother recording them since they are always available OnDemand.

But not in HD..........

Sony KDF-55XS955, Motorola DCT-3412, Denon AVR-3805, Denon DVD-2900, Monster HTS-5100 Signature

#8 08-14-2006 12:05:49 PM

jganyard
PM

True... I'm still SD only.

Why doesn't HBO had HD OnDemand? Seems like a no-brainer.

#9 09-06-2006 11:24:10 PM

Patrick
PM

jganyard wrote:

True... I'm still SD only.

Why doesn't HBO had HD OnDemand? Seems like a no-brainer.

I'm glad you asked.  The answer, at least right now, is bandwidth.  HBO does their own VOD distribution to Comcast rather than supplying it to an aggregator as part of a larger distribution net.  Because a single HD show is round abouts 4.5x the size of its SD counterpart the bandwidth requirements to support that are extensive, and I'm not convinced that HBO has enough available transponder space to make that happen (by themselves).

It may also be a contractual limitation between HBO and Comcast.  That's not my part of the business so I will play dumb.  But I do know that Comcast OnDemand is adding about 8-10x the amount of HD currently carried by the middle of next year.  Chances are that, because HBO is one of the top VOD performers, their HD bundle will increase during that time.

#10 09-06-2006 11:50:16 PM

Frank
DVR Chatter Honcho
PM  Website

Off topic to the thread title but on topic to where it's gone, what does Comcast (or the distributor) do to HD movies, etc?  It's not true HD to my eyes.  We watched "She's the Man" (don't ask) in HD this weekend, and it was blocky as all get out.  Are they doing DirecTV-style phony HD on demand (thankfully, it was the same $3.99 as the SD version or I'd have made a tipsy Saturday night call to Comcast for a refund of the difference)

Board footer