DVR Chatter

Discussing the DCT-6412, Home Theater Devices, Entertainment, Celebrity and the Cable Industry. Not affiliated with any Cable Company, Hardware Manufacturer or Software Developer.

You are not logged in.

-->

#1 06-05-2006 4:31:34 PM

rosh400
PM

Connect with Component and HDMI at the Same Time

Is it possible to connect the 6412 III to an HDTV with both HDMI and component connections at the sametime?  The TV I will likely buy lets the consumer have different settings for different inputs.  With dual connections, I could have one set of settings for HD programming and one set of settings for SD programming.

Slightly off topic quesiton.  When in exchange my DVI box for an HDMI box, the woman at Comcast told me that all their programming is now digital.  Is that true?  I live in Montogmery County MD.

#2 06-05-2006 5:05:07 PM

shj
PM

Re: Connect with Component and HDMI at the Same Time

rosh400 wrote:

Is it possible to connect the 6412 III to an HDTV with both HDMI and component connections at the sametime?  The TV I will likely buy lets the consumer have different settings for different inputs.  With dual connections, I could have one set of settings for HD programming and one set of settings for SD programming.

Yes.  All the outputs of the 6412 can be used simultaneously.

A while ago, I tried connecting my Sony KD-34XBR960 to the DVR via both component and HDMI.  Both worked.  There's a couple second delay before the picture and sound come on after switching to HDMI, unlike the component connection.  I couldn't see any significant difference in the quality of the picture, so I stuck with component.

I didn't think of using different video settings on the TV for the two inputs.  I think I'll give it a try - I currently have the component settings optimized for HD, which definitely gives sub-optimal SD quality.

#3 06-05-2006 7:15:43 PM

rosh400
PM

shj,

Thanks.  I am looking at the 32XBR1 LCD.  I have looked at it 3 times in different stores with HD content, SD content and DVD.  I thought even the SD content looked good.  I think one of the most important things is viewing the set from the appropriate distance.  That being said, many owners have commented on other sites that SD programming needs different settings.  With the XBR1 I can define HDMI to be HD and component to be SD.  With the XBR, I think it may also be possible to use one connect and use settings under standard for HD and settings under custom for SD.  Will have to play with that.  If I could use the component inputs for the cable box.  That would free up the HDMI input for HD DVD whenever the standard war ends and prices come down to earth.

rosh

#4 09-01-2009 10:03:55 PM

pitviper1961
PM

I have a Viso 42 Inch LCD tv and a comcast motorola 6412 III dvr.  The first Time I hooked the tv to the box with a HDMI cable (When I bought the tv) and the hdmi worked.  I became curious (i wanted to see which looked better)and tryed the component cables that came with the box and it worked fine but the sound was lower (I had to turn up the tv to 75 to hear it).  I tryed to hook the hdmi back and it will not work?!?  I have tryed a different cable, a different port on the tv, and nothing  (No Signal across the tv).  I have tryed the hdmi cable and componen(no good)  I have tryed the power off both the box and the tv and no good either.  Is there a secret to how you start the sequence to get the hdmi to work again????????

thanks

Board footer