DVR Chatter

Discussing the DCT-6412, Home Theater Devices, Entertainment, Celebrity and the Cable Industry. Not affiliated with any Cable Company, Hardware Manufacturer or Software Developer.

You are not logged in.

-->

#1 06-01-2006 8:22:12 AM

dar
PM

6412 III Is the Best in the Business (So says the Calibrator)

I'm not sure if this belongs here or not but I thought I'd share my experience with having my tv calibrated and have the most appealing picture quality as possible.

One of the foremost experts in calibration is Craig Rounds.  He can be found on another board called the Home Theater Spot.

Craig spent about 4-5 hours on my tv.  I thought before he came out that the screen looked pretty good.  But after his visit, I must say its now stunning PQ.

As far as my DVR 6412 III,  he said its the best DVR out there.  He said its much better than Tivo.  I don't know Tivo, but I'm using HDMI connectors.  He found a wrong setting in the user menus that I was unaware of for the HDMI connectors.  He seems to be able to get around menus fairly well and know what all the settings means.

Craig also mentioned the Comcast HD signals in the Chicagoland area are the best he's seen in the entire country.  (I don't think he was jiving me.)

My eyes are still adjusting to the unbelieveable picture quality I'm experiencing now.

Seems I am now fighting with the rest of the family memebers as to who watching what, where and when.  The 9 year old puts the Disney Channel on soon after she gets home from a hard day at school, and I'm relegated to watching the NBA playoffs on the 19 inch Magnovox.  Sometimes, I can't seem to win.

Last edited by dar (06-01-2006 8:28:51 AM)

Mitsubishi WD-52528, Motorola DCT-3416, Denon Recvr, Sony DVD, Panasonic DVD R/VCR, Harmony Remote, KEF Speakers

#2 06-03-2006 3:19:33 PM

rosh400
PM

Re: 6412 III Is the Best in the Business (So says the Calibrator)

dar,

I have the same box through Comcast.  I will be purchasing an LCD (probably Sony or Samsung in the next 2 to3 weeks.

Just curious,  in the setup menu, are your outputting the Hd signal as 720p or 1080i?  Also, what do you have the 4:3 override set to?

Thanks in advance for your reply.

#3 06-03-2006 4:42:07 PM

dar
PM

Rosh
The calibation determined what was best, and a grid pattern distinctly showed a finer grid for the 720p than 1080i for my tv.  The calibrator people can get into special service menus that show grid and color patterns with their measuring equipment.

So, what's the best resolution setting?  Probably whatever the native resolution of the TV.  Mine is the 720p but I got differing opinions and I really didn't know what to look for before the calibration.

There is a setting on the DVR menu for HDMI cables and the default setting for colors in that menu was wrong, and was changed to RGB for my TV.

The HDMI cables provide the best signals, followed by Component cables, S-Video, RCA Inputs, ANT.

You can get HDMI cables for as low as $10 on the internet or several hundred dollars from Best Buy.  Your choice. 

Overide is set to Stretch which fills the screen.

Last edited by dar (06-04-2006 7:49:43 AM)

Mitsubishi WD-52528, Motorola DCT-3416, Denon Recvr, Sony DVD, Panasonic DVD R/VCR, Harmony Remote, KEF Speakers

#4 06-04-2006 10:40:05 AM

rosh400
PM

dar,

Thanks for your reply.  I already ordered the cables from monoprice.  The HDMI cable was about $10.  They get great reviews.  Many folks seem to think that for short cable runs (<20 ft) there is not much of a difference among cables unless a cable is really bad.  I just need 6 footers and I am happy to save $90 and not enrich Monster.  By the way.  Do you use a surge protector.  I have APC for my computer and networking which I like.  Belkina and APC make surge protectors with coax for about the same price.  Any preference?

Finally, your override setting would not work for me.  I really don't want to stretch 4:3 prorgramming.

Rosh

P.S.  The 32 inch LCD's have a native resolution of 768 so I think 720p would probably work better but it may be a matter of trial and error

Last edited by rosh400 (06-04-2006 10:41:31 AM)

#5 06-04-2006 11:08:15 AM

Wareagle
Charter Member
PM

rosh400 --

I have a 30 inch LCD and couldn't see any difference between 720p and 1080i, but 720p should require less manipulation of the signal, overall.  Unless the TV has much better circuitry than the box (for the 1080i sources), that should work better.  Also, I couldn't see much difference between DVI and component, except for having to adjust the picture settings between the two, so the same should apply to HDMI.  Setting the override to "off" works best for me, both from the standpoint of distortion and that the SD picture looks sharper.  You shouldn't have to worry about burn-in so much with the LCD, so it's a matter of taste.

#6 07-05-2006 9:57:40 AM

rosh400
PM

Have the Sony 32XBR1 for about 2 weeks now and I can't tell the difference between 720p and 1080i.  What I really need now is for some station to broadcast calibration patterns so I can do a rough calibration of the set.  Can't afford an ISF calibrator right now.

#7 07-05-2006 8:04:47 PM

dar
PM

Well its still a tv, and it ain't gonna cut the lawn no matter what you do to it.

When in doubt, go with the natives, ah resolution that is.

Do a search on Avia or Video Essentials, which may help.

Later.  Got to get back to all the Twilight Zones I just recorded before the wife decides to erase them so she doesn't miss her soaps.

smile

Board footer