DVR Chatter

Discussing the DCT-6412, Home Theater Devices, Entertainment, Celebrity and the Cable Industry. Not affiliated with any Cable Company, Hardware Manufacturer or Software Developer.

You are not logged in.

-->

#1 03-31-2006 7:29:06 PM

emmshopper
PM

connecting cable dvr to separate dvr/burner combo

I started using Tivo last summer and bought a Humax dvr/dvd burner.  Two weeks ago I terminated my telephone service via a telco and am now getting it through my broadband connection from my cable company (more service, much cheaper).  I didn't get alot of help from Tivo about what I need to do to get acces to their programming now that I have broadband telephone service.  When I called my cable company they suggested I get dvr from them.  They say all I have to do is switch cable boxes.  The problem is their box doesn't have a burner,  They said that's fine, just connect the cable dvr to my Humax dvr/burner.  Has anyone done this.  If so, can you tell me how?  Thanks.

#2 04-01-2006 12:02:47 AM

Frank
DVR Chatter Honcho
PM  Website

Re: connecting cable dvr to separate dvr/burner combo

I haven't and, to tell you the truth, I'm suprised that anyone at Comcast had the technical knowledge to suggest it.  Did you talk to a VP of technology or something smile

Anyway, the Comcast DVR has just about every output you can imagine (except, strangely, RF passthrough), so if your Burner can accept aux inputs (i.e. not from the DVR or internal tuner) then you should be good to go.

Assuming, your cable operator is Comcast and you're talking about the Comcast 6412/3412 DVR.

#3 04-01-2006 10:44:57 AM

andyross
Charter Member
PM  Website

If the broadband phone service supports standard phones, then it shouldn't affect your Tivo. Just connect it up and it should dial as normal. The main drawback might be if it somehow deliberately blocks modems, although I would think it should still work, but may not run at full speed.

Personally, I would not fully drop landline yet. I don't believe in the reliability of cable compared to a regular phone. Plus, if the power goes out, you are totally dead. It's rare for a phone to go out. You should still consider a basic phone connection. Try to figure out what number your Tivo dials, and see if it's truely local. If so, you can often get a cut-rate phone deal with local service only, requiring 'dial-around' service to go beyond that. Shouldn't be much more than $10-15 a month, and gives you guaranteed E911 support. You should also have a plain (not cordless) phone available for use in case the power goes out.

Sony KV-30XBR910, Sony STR-DB930, Sony DVP-NS55P, JVC HR-S3800U, Motorola DCT-6412, Sony KV-13FS100, OneForAll URC-8910.
Andy's UnEmpty Web Page
How to use a Motorola DVR

#4 04-13-2006 3:30:23 PM

emmshopper
PM

First of all just want to thank people for responding to my question.  Bottom line:  Cablevision was wrong; their dvr will NOT copy to my Humax.  Furthermore, even if it did, I would have gone back to TIVO because the Cablevision programming software is not nearly as versatile as TIVO's.  So I returned their DVR, bought an ethernet adapter and a wired router (am not ready yet to deal with wireless router because of security issues).  Connected everything up, and after many hours, things finally work.  I suppose one of the benefits of doing things this way is it is how you learn about this stuff.  But the cable companies' efforts to compete with TIVO will be hampered by the fact that their dvrs don't include dvd burners, and their programming software is archaic.  TIVO is worth it.  As for the telephone connection, I am sticking with the cable company.  It's $15 a month for nationwide unlimited as opposed to $55 a month for local, 40-50% of which is the telcos' damned fees and taxes.  No way am I going back to the telcos.  I have a cell phone in case my cable goes down.  Thanks again.

#5 04-13-2006 4:08:30 PM

Frank
DVR Chatter Honcho
PM  Website

Thanks for checking back in with the resolution.  Sometimes I feel like those old folks who are scared to use the ATM, but I can't see going without a wired non-electricity dependant telephone line.  That's just me.  YMMV.

Board footer