DVR Chatter

Discussing the DCT-6412, Home Theater Devices, Entertainment, Celebrity and the Cable Industry. Not affiliated with any Cable Company, Hardware Manufacturer or Software Developer.

You are not logged in.

-->

#1 03-17-2006 9:42:56 AM

LowLight21
PM

Odd Remote Issue

I'm wondering if anyone has encountered a similar issue, and if so, what they did to solve the problem.  Here's what happens to me somewhat regularly:

I will be scrolling through the guide trying to find something to watch and I'll notice something I want to record.  I select the show and hit the record button on the remote.  Nothing happens, and when I hit another button on the remote, the Aux button lights up because its now switched over to Aux, rather than cable, rendering the Record button useless until I press the Cable button again to regain control of the 6412.  So, that's the issue that I'm having, and I do realize its not a major issue at all.  I'm mainly wondering if anyone knows if its possible to lock the remote in Cable mode so this sort of thing doesn't happen.  If I could lock it into cable mode, than any button I press will be understood as a command to the cable box.  Thanks for any help.

#2 03-17-2006 12:01:27 PM

bweissman
Charter Member
PM

Re: Odd Remote Issue

My remote also shifts itself into AUX mode unpredictably. It's especially annoying when it turns on the DVD player.

I've never found a way to prevent this. I just try to remember to hit the CABLE button a lot.

#3 03-17-2006 1:15:04 PM

LowLight21
PM

Well I'm glad some other people have experienced this too.  Hopefully someone out there has found some sort of fix.

#4 03-17-2006 4:37:26 PM

ghoofie
Charter Member
PM  Website

I don't have this problem anymore because I use a Harmony remote to run all my devices including the 6412. It's great.

#5 03-23-2006 1:01:50 PM

bweissman
Charter Member
PM

ghoofie wrote:

I don't have this problem anymore because I use a Harmony remote to run all my devices including the 6412. It's great.

I finally bit the bullet and bought a Harmony 880. I'm optimistic this will actually solve the Single Remote Problem. I've had it for 2 days and have almost got it set up.

Advantages: Auto-programs well for the DCT-6412. The Logitech/Harmony database has lots of discrete codes for commands which don't appear on any of my remotes (e.g., discrete power on/off for my Pioneer RPTV). Even the 6412's hidden commands appear (e.g., cable box mute, cable box volume, neither of which I'd ever seen before). Skip ahead 30 sec. and skip back on the 6412 become the forward and back skip buttons on the remote, very cool.

Disadvantages: expensive. Proprietary battery. Tiny buttons with teeny labels. Web-based setup is cumbersome and slow. Despite Logitech website claim, the 880 did not auto-program for my Proceed AVP preamp. So I'm spending lots of time teaching it. (The AVP is unique in that it teaches other remotes via an IR transmitter in the unit itself. This allows every possible command to be taught, but requires performing the teaching in the media room, at the fringes of my wireless network.)

Last edited by bweissman (03-23-2006 1:04:39 PM)

#6 03-23-2006 3:14:14 PM

ghoofie
Charter Member
PM  Website

>>Disadvantages: expensive. Proprietary battery. Tiny buttons with teeny labels. >>Web-based setup is cumbersome and slow. Despite Logitech website claim, the >>880 did not auto-program for my Proceed AVP preamp. So I'm spending lots of >>time teaching it.

Yeah some of the stuff is cumbersome. But once it's there...it's really cool. I like the web based idea.. I had some issues and the logitech customer service made a change to my settings on the web base then all I had to do was update my remote and it downloaded the change he put in for me.  The change wasn't quite what I wanted..but I'm impressed with the way they handled everything for me.

#7 07-19-2006 12:51:49 AM

qubegirl
PM

This happens to me all the time as well.   It's annoying.

Board footer