DVR Chatter

Discussing the DCT-6412, Home Theater Devices, Entertainment, Celebrity and the Cable Industry. Not affiliated with any Cable Company, Hardware Manufacturer or Software Developer.

You are not logged in.

-->

#1 11-29-2005 9:49:14 AM

slhmtb
PM

5c turned on

I hadn't dumped a recording via firewire to my htpc in several weeks.  Tried a INHD show last night and no luck.  The 5c has been turned on.  I checked several cable channels and many had 5c turned on but it seemed to depend on the show as well.  The local stations did not.  If Comcast isn't going to let me archive recordings than they could at least put a decent sized hard drive inside.

#2 11-29-2005 9:56:30 AM

Frank
DVR Chatter Honcho
PM  Website

Re: 5c turned on

Well, that's a little upsetting.  What INHD shows?  If it was Game of the Week or a movie, I get it. 

I don't think I've ever been able to dump a SD digital program via Firewire.  Now that all the channels are Simulcast, I suspect that extends to pretty much everything.

#3 11-29-2005 3:20:49 PM

leftjab
Charter Member
PM

I can still dump everything by firewire to my D-VHS, except On Demand.  This includes all channels, HD & SD.

#4 11-29-2005 4:04:59 PM

slhmtb
PM

It seems pretty random on INHD.   The show I was trying to dump was called Bike Battle or something like that about urban mountain bikers.  It's been on many times over the last year so not exactly cutting edge content.  But this morning when I was testing different channels and shows and a show about ice skaters racing down a course on INHD did not have the 5c turned on.  HBOHD definitely had it turned on.  I think my firmware is like 9.19?  Does that sound right?  Don't know if it is a firmware thing.  I'm sure Comcast will implementing this elsewhere.  My brother-in-law works for Cox and he was surprised that Comcast had not turned on 5c when I first got the hddvr last winter.  According to him, Cox has it turned on for most stuff.  I guess I shouldn't worry about it.  Most of the time I compress the shows way down anyway so I'll just hook up an svideo cable and that will be fine.  But it sure was cool to create a dvd from hd content.

#5 11-29-2005 4:05:28 PM

Frank
DVR Chatter Honcho
PM  Website

leftjab wrote:

I can still dump everything by firewire to my D-VHS, except On Demand.  This includes all channels, HD & SD.

Your D-VHS recorder is a 5C compliant device, while the rigged up HTPC method via Firewire isn't.

#6 11-29-2005 5:26:36 PM

leftjab
Charter Member
PM

Frank wrote:

leftjab wrote:

Your D-VHS recorder is a 5C compliant device, while the rigged up HTPC method via Firewire isn't.

thanks for the clarification, I do forget that fact sometimes.

Board footer