DVR Chatter

Discussing the DCT-6412, Home Theater Devices, Entertainment, Celebrity and the Cable Industry. Not affiliated with any Cable Company, Hardware Manufacturer or Software Developer.

You are not logged in.

-->

• Index
  •  » OnDemand
  •  » CSI, NCIS, Survivor and The Amazing Race Coming to OnDemand

#1 11-07-2005 5:41:03 PM

Frank
DVR Chatter Honcho
PM  Website

CSI, NCIS, Survivor and The Amazing Race Coming to OnDemand

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drmn/b … 01,00.html

Comcast Communications Corp., which has more than 600,000 customers in Colorado, announced it will offer "CSI: Crime Scene Investigation" and three other popular prime-time CBS shows on demand, the first agreement between a major cable provider and a broadcast network. Comcast will begin offering on-demand episodes of "CSI," "NCIS," "Survivor" and "The Amazing Race" in January. Each episode costs 99 cents and viewers will be able to watch the shows within 24 hours of ordering.

Not sure why I wouldn't just record it on the DVR, but hey it's their money.  No wonder their stock's in the toilet.

#2 11-08-2005 9:15:16 AM

Bradb21
PM

Re: CSI, NCIS, Survivor and The Amazing Race Coming to OnDemand

It's nice to have the option there, but I personally will not be paying to view I show I could record on my DVR. I guess if the show was really important to me, and show how I missed it, I guess I would pay the $.99 to watch it.

Comcast - Geneva, IL
2 x 3412's with 16.20 firmware
50" Philips HD Plasma with Ambilight 2 (HDMI connected)
32" Philips HD Wide Tube (HDMI connected)

#3 11-08-2005 9:38:24 AM

jganyard
PM

I'm guessing that the majority of people subscribed to Comcast's digital tier do not have DVRs.  This is likely targeted towards them.

#4 11-08-2005 10:15:17 AM

Frank
DVR Chatter Honcho
PM  Website

jganyard wrote:

I'm guessing that the majority of people subscribed to Comcast's digital tier do not have DVRs.  This is likely targeted towards them.

Think like a business, though.  Businesses exist to make a profit.  Guaranteed (subscribed) money is better than Non-Guaranteed (ad hoc) money. 

Someone taking your DVR service is giving you 9.95 a month, month in month out, with the cash coming in not related in any way to their usage of your service.  They get addicted to DVR life, and continue paying you 9.95 a month every month for years and years and years.  These people have no use for your .99 OnDemand network offer.

Anyone who is looking to time shift shows with any consistency is going to go the DVR route.  So the max you're going to make off of anyone in any given month with this OnDemand scheme is likely LESS than 9.95. 

Say I'm the Average Joe.  I have no DVR.  If I care about my shows, I get to the TV to watch them.  If I don't care about my shows enough to get to the TV to watch them, I sure don't care enough about those shows to pay for them.  It just defies logic.

Plus, OnDemand has max capacity limits.  DVR does not.  Your upside for OnDemand is limited.

It seems like all the energy put into signing deals to be able to put these shows on demand would be better spent pushing the heck out of DVR service.

#5 11-08-2005 11:13:23 AM

Wareagle
Charter Member
PM

OnDemand viewing of these shows makes even less sense when your alternative (live or DVR) is HD and you'd be paying for SD.

#6 11-08-2005 2:06:20 PM

Bradb21
PM

I saw some Comcast stats yesterday. It listed a very very low % of people with Comcast own a DVR. A higher % had access to on-demand.

It's not a bad idea. The average Joe doesn't not have a DVR, and if they miss a show it's nice to have a $.99 option to see your show that you missed.

Comcast - Geneva, IL
2 x 3412's with 16.20 firmware
50" Philips HD Plasma with Ambilight 2 (HDMI connected)
32" Philips HD Wide Tube (HDMI connected)

#7 11-08-2005 3:02:56 PM

Wareagle
Charter Member
PM

Can you post the stats?

#8 11-08-2005 4:37:23 PM

jganyard
PM

Frank wrote:

Think like a business, though.  Businesses exist to make a profit.  Guaranteed (subscribed) money is better than Non-Guaranteed (ad hoc) money.  Someone taking your DVR service is giving you 9.95 a month, month in month out, with the cash coming in not related in any way to their usage of your service.  They get addicted to DVR life, and continue paying you 9.95 a month every month for years and years and years.  These people have no use for your .99 OnDemand network offer.

I call it DVR-crack.  Been addicted for 4 years myself. :-) I agree 100% there with you.  However there is just a majority of customers who will either never upgrade to a DVR, or for whom will not use DVR functions even if it was a part of their regular service.  I'm thinking Grannies here as well as people like my own mother (computer literate, mid-50s) that just is not interested in technology.  She'll use what she has to, doesn't use OnDemand but I'm betting she would if she missed one of her shows.  Heck, she's even looking for a new TV but refuses to buy an HD one even though I tell her that analog will be gone in a few years.  She doesn't want to pay extra for the TV, nor pay more to the cable co for HD service (which I did explain to her was optional).

Frank wrote:

It seems like all the energy put into signing deals to be able to put these shows on demand would be better spent pushing the heck out of DVR service.

I can assure you that Comcast wishes they could do that.  However I'm sure their numbers support the strategy they are using.  They're targeting multiple demographics which in my opinion is the right thing.

Afterthought... it's probably yet another selling point they can try to use on those stubborn analog customers that refuse to move up to a digital tier.  Every bit helps in that regard I'm sure.

Last edited by jganyard (11-08-2005 4:40:48 PM)

#9 11-08-2005 4:57:30 PM

markjrenna
Charter Member
PM

I feel it is a step in the right direction. Most of the current VOD content is pretty lame and very dated. It fits a niche market and is far from mainstream.

More "current" programing needs to be available on VOD for it to truly succeed. Most of Comcast's VOD usage now is the free kids programming. Was that worth the investment?

The networks will have to see value in VOD or it will be second to DVR's for a very long time.

I'm interested to see some figures a year from January to see how many people paid the $.99.

#10 11-08-2005 5:21:46 PM

Frank
DVR Chatter Honcho
PM  Website

jganyard wrote:

I can assure you that Comcast wishes they could do that.  However I'm sure their numbers support the strategy they are using.  They're targeting multiple demographics which in my opinion is the right thing.

Wall Street is sour on Comcast because (among a number of reasons) their numbers rarely support their strategy.  I guess that's what happens when your daddy hands you a company to run.  How can you have a monopoly every place you do business, and still have only a 5.6% profit margin? The company is clearly very poorly run.

#11 11-08-2005 5:34:42 PM

Frank
DVR Chatter Honcho
PM  Website

markjrenna wrote:

I feel it is a step in the right direction. Most of the current VOD content is pretty lame and very dated. It fits a niche market and is far from mainstream.

More "current" programing needs to be available on VOD for it to truly succeed. Most of Comcast's VOD usage now is the free kids programming. Was that worth the investment?

The networks will have to see value in VOD or it will be second to DVR's for a very long time.

I'm interested to see some figures a year from January to see how many people paid the $.99.

In my opinion, the one and only feature that will ever make VOD pop is when Comcast gets the rights to run movies the day they are released on DVD (or earlier).  Things are moving that way, but movie theater owners are fighting it like they fight everything else. 

It's nice to go into the HBO library and pick a movie to watch when I want.  It's nice, but it's not making them any direct money.  New money comes from new product, not repackages of already available product.

You put all the new DVD releases on there and charge me $.50 less than if I were to trudge to the video store, or offer an OnDemand new release plan like the NetFlix model, and the money starts rolling in.

#12 01-06-2006 7:36:12 AM

markjrenna
Charter Member
PM

It's now available.  Hurry and pay $.99!

#13 01-06-2006 9:36:38 AM

JayMan
Charter Member
PM

Only in certain markets....

CBS shows are only available in the following television markets: New York, Philadelphia, Baltimore, Boston, San Francisco, Los Angeles, Detroit, Pittsburgh, Minneapolis, Dallas, Salt Lake, Denver, Miami, Chicago, Sacramento.

I guess they are the top 15?

JayMan

#14 01-06-2006 9:48:46 AM

markjrenna
Charter Member
PM

I guess NJ falls in either New York or  Philadelphia since we have it.  Who cares, I'm not paying $.99 when I can record it on the DVR or my trusty VHS.

#15 03-01-2006 2:51:53 PM

Brewer247
PM

Frank wrote:

In my opinion, the one and only feature that will ever make VOD pop is when Comcast gets the rights to run movies the day they are released on DVD (or earlier).  Things are moving that way, but movie theater owners are fighting it like they fight everything else. 

It's nice to go into the HBO library and pick a movie to watch when I want.  It's nice, but it's not making them any direct money.  New money comes from new product, not repackages of already available product.

You put all the new DVD releases on there and charge me $.50 less than if I were to trudge to the video store, or offer an OnDemand new release plan like the NetFlix model, and the money starts rolling in.

Looks like VOD is about to pop!

http://www.businessweek.com/ap/financia … 1VKI09.htm

Sony KDF-55XS955, Motorola DCT-3412, Denon AVR-3805, Denon DVD-2900, Monster HTS-5100 Signature

#16 03-01-2006 3:29:15 PM

Frank
DVR Chatter Honcho
PM  Website

It's a start, but $5.99 for the glorified student films that run on IFC isn't going to set my world on fire.

#17 03-01-2006 3:43:25 PM

Wareagle
Charter Member
PM

I don't even watch the movies included in my Comcast subscription (HBO, etc.) unless they're in HD, so I'm not likely to pay extra for these.

#18 03-01-2006 6:29:12 PM

Brewer247
PM

I am not sure that I will ever watch one either, but it sets a platform that they can build upon.  When we get The DaVinci Code in HD on the theatrical release date (or better yet, before), I will be quite happy.  I'd even pay $6.99.  wink

Sony KDF-55XS955, Motorola DCT-3412, Denon AVR-3805, Denon DVD-2900, Monster HTS-5100 Signature

#19 04-29-2006 9:43:43 PM

Patrick
PM

Frank wrote:

Believe it or not, this has already started with the Independent Film Channel, and their releases match their theater release date.  They are not the sliced bread by which everything good should be measured, but they are the first to employ this mindset towards viewers.  Keeping in mind that it is not Comcast per se who secures the timeliness of rights to air movies/shows for OnDemand, I know first-hand that the distributors such as the Sonys and MGMs of the world are moving towards treating the theater as an option rather than the sole location to view first-run movies.

JayMan wrote:

Only in certain markets....

CBS shows are only available in the following television markets: New York, Philadelphia, Baltimore, Boston, San Francisco, Los Angeles, Detroit, Pittsburgh, Minneapolis, Dallas, Salt Lake, Denver, Miami, Chicago, Sacramento.

I guess they are the top 15?

It is restricted by contract (CBS' clause, it's a revenue sharing and legal issue) to markets which CBS has an O&O system (owned and operated).  In the next 2 weeks or so you will experience the same with NBC, which is coming to Comcast OnDemand with 5 of its more popular shows in precisely 10 NBCU O&O markets.  It was 11 but Birmingham was recently sold/transferred by NBCU so they were excluded.  Their shows will also run at the 0.99 price point.

Wareagle wrote:

I don't even watch the movies included in my Comcast subscription (HBO, etc.) unless they're in HD, so I'm not likely to pay extra for these.

CBS in HD for OnDemand is currently in testing with employees in the Richmond and Philadelphia markets.  I expect that it will become a standard part of their package when the next season rolls around.

#20 05-04-2006 9:42:40 AM

JayMan
Charter Member
PM

Patrick wrote:

CBS in HD for OnDemand is currently in testing with employees in the Richmond and Philadelphia markets.  I expect that it will become a standard part of their package when the next season rolls around.

Is that Richmond, VA?  I haven't seen any indications of that around here. If it does happen, I wonder if they will use the National Feed or local feed... The local feed is not broadcast in DD5.1.
I know someone that works for Comcast... I'll have to ask them this weekend.

JayMan (Richmond, VA)

#21 05-18-2006 9:00:39 AM

Patrick
PM

yes it was Richmond, VA.  That market is one of our primary test markets for "new" stuff related to system load and was the very first customer-facing market to have HD OnDemand.

• Index
  •  » OnDemand
  •  » CSI, NCIS, Survivor and The Amazing Race Coming to OnDemand

Board footer