DVR Chatter

Discussing the DCT-6412, Home Theater Devices, Entertainment, Celebrity and the Cable Industry. Not affiliated with any Cable Company, Hardware Manufacturer or Software Developer.

You are not logged in.

-->

#1 10-08-2005 8:38:30 PM

Nightwolf
PM

Wish List

1.  The ability to create a manual recording, but set it to record at the same time once a week, or every weekday, or every day - like you could with the digital box.

2. Ability to skip directly back to the beginning of a program in the buffer.   <|

#2 10-08-2005 9:08:11 PM

DDR4040
PM

Re: Wish List

Nightwolf wrote:

1.  The ability to create a manual recording, but set it to record at the same time once a week, or every weekday, or every day - like you could with the digital box.

2. Ability to skip directly back to the beginning of a program in the buffer.   <|

Not sure what model and version of the 6412 you are running, but I have a manual recording setup for every thursday night at 10pm. It works fine. I set it up using the create a manual recording from the DRV menu. Choose the start/end time and pick any date. Press Confirm. On the next screen, choose your channel. The next screen shows Create Recording, Recording Options and Don't record. Choose Recording Options and you can set it up to record any day or days of the week. I know it sounds backwards since you already selected a specific record date on the first screen, but it does work.

I only have one thing on my wishlist, I want to be able to turn off that #&$@% flip bar!

#3 10-09-2005 10:41:07 AM

Bobby
Charter Member
PM

Nightwolf wrote:

You can do that.  When you depress the My DVR button you get a little menu on the bottom of your screen.  One click to the right of  play is "start from the beginning."

#4 10-09-2005 11:22:06 AM

Frank
DVR Chatter Honcho
PM  Website

Bobby wrote:

Nightwolf wrote:

You can do that.  When you depress the My DVR button you get a little menu on the bottom of your screen.  One click to the right of  play is "start from the beginning."

In the buffer - i.e. watching live not previously recorded.

The workaround is to hit record, then go to My DVR and start from the beginning.

#5 10-09-2005 12:16:25 PM

Nightwolf
PM

Not sure what model and version of the 6412 you are running, but I have a manual recording setup for every thursday night at 10pm. It works fine. I set it up using the create a manual recording from the DRV menu. Choose the start/end time and pick any date. Press Confirm. On the next screen, choose your channel. The next screen shows Create Recording, Recording Options and Don't record. Choose Recording Options and you can set it up to record any day or days of the week. I know it sounds backwards since you already selected a specific record date on the first screen, but it does work.

I only have one thing on my wishlist, I want to be able to turn off that #&$@% flip bar!

THANKS!  I wasn't going far enough in the process.  I just expected the repeat option to be on the first page, like it was on the old box (which didn't actually record anything).

As for the flipbar, I agree.  It's nice to be able to see where you are in a show sometimes, but it gets rather annoying the way it comes up every time you pause, rewind or go forward, and stays there unless you hit EXIT.  It would be better if it only appeared when you hit a specific button calling for it.

#6 10-09-2005 4:01:27 PM

DCTGoddess
PM

It would also be nice to go to the end of a recorded program, instead of having to forward through the whole thing.  I had scheduled a recording & found myself able to watch my show at my parents' house.  Unfortunatly, I missed the ending there.  I was able to replay it when I got home, but, had to fast-forward through the whole show to get to the finale.

DCT3412 P1 - i-Guide: 49.13, S/W: 74.53 - 3321, F/W:16.20, Bootloader: 05.08  DCT2224 - F/W: 7.93, S/W: 72.06

"Life's like a DVR waiting for you to press record."

#7 10-09-2005 8:37:09 PM

Nightwolf
PM

Absolutely.  There should be a 'GO TO' button you could push, and then enter the time index where you want to be.  Or maybe they could even allow you to move the slider directly with the arrow keys.

#8 12-14-2005 3:25:44 PM

ronman
PM

It would be great if programs could be provided with chapter menus (like you would have with a DVD). This would make recordings infinitely more user-friendly. I recently recorded the Cream Reunion concert on KQED HD (San Francisco Bay Area), but it was a real pain fast forwarding and rewinding to skip amongst the songs they played.

ronman.

#9 12-14-2005 6:37:39 PM

markjrenna
Charter Member
PM

I would love:

1.  Whole Home Media Option.  So I could watch my recorded DVR content on my other Digital STB's.

2.  Internet Scheduling.

3.  WishList.  Just like TiVo's.  I love that feature!

4.  Better Search Functionality.  Like TiVo's.  I love TiVo's.

5.  Folders.  Much better organization.  Hmmm.... Again like TiVo's.

6.  There should be no scaled windows when the active tuner is recording.

What I do like about the i-Guide:

1.  The scaled Video in the upper right (except when I'm recording in that tuner).

2.  The ability to go from Recorded program to live TV by hitting the "Last" button.

3.  No ADS.

4.  30 Second Skip.

5.  The program title in the progress bar.  Also the colors used for the different purposes.  I wish TiVo would add the program title to the progress bar.

#10 12-15-2005 12:43:23 PM

rkkeller
PM

You forgot in your "likes" no pathetically long "please wait" screens like TiVo, ability to see PIP or at least hear the sound in ALL the menus/guide not having to sit there in complete silence like with TiVo's, ability to change text size and screen colors to vary things up a little that TiVo doesnt offer, etc...

The ONLY thing I miss about TiVo is the "skip to tick" feature.  The 6412 is much superior in all aspects of performance that I would not go back to TiVo unless there was nothing else.

Rich

#11 12-15-2005 12:45:51 PM

Frank
DVR Chatter Honcho
PM  Website

I'm with you, rkeller and markjrenna. 

And mark's #1 "Like" is the little PIP window in the menus.

#12 07-13-2006 4:35:33 PM

jayfest
PM

I just got a software upgrade from (south NJ) Comcast that allows me to watch a currently-being-recorded show from the beginning, not just from the current spot. I love that!

Also, if I'm watching any previously recorded program, I can hit STOP and I get a menu that has "Skip to end" as one of the options.

#13 07-14-2006 4:19:14 PM

andyross
Charter Member
PM  Website

You can always start a currently-recording show from the beginning by simply playing it from MyDVR.

What use is 'skip to the end'?

Sony KV-30XBR910, Sony STR-DB930, Sony DVP-NS55P, JVC HR-S3800U, Motorola DCT-6412, Sony KV-13FS100, OneForAll URC-8910.
Andy's UnEmpty Web Page
How to use a Motorola DVR

#14 07-19-2006 11:54:05 PM

jayfest
PM

Until I got this upgrade, I could NOT start a currently-recorded show from the beginning. Believe me, I tried it many times. Selecting it from My DVR would ONLY put me at the current spot in the recording. (That is no longer true since the upgrade).

As for SKIP TO END, before the upgrade, if I started watching at 9:20 a show that begin recording at 9:00, I would have to select it, fast-rewind from the 20-minute mark back to the beginning, then watch. When it got to be 10:00 (the end of the scheduled recording), the DVR would kick me out of watching the show and throw me back to the list of recorded shows. If I was up to 9:55 in the recording when I got kicked out, when I selected the show from the recorded list, I would have to start over from the beginning. In that case, rather than have to fast-forward 55 minutes, I could start watching, hit STOP and then hit SKIP TO END, which would put me close to where I was before.

Now that I have this upgrade, I shouldn't need SKIP TO END for watching currently recorded programs, but what about if I want to watch any previously recorded program in pieces? Unlike the TiVo, which remembers how far I've watched every program, the DVR will only remember if it's the last thing I watched. So if I watch some show 3/4 of the way through and then go watch something other recorded show, I can't resume the first show at the 3/4 point. So SKIP TO END will save me some time, rather than having to fast-forward 3/4 of the way.

#15 07-20-2006 12:04:10 AM

Frank
DVR Chatter Honcho
PM  Website

That is 100% not the way mine has worked since 11/2004 when it was installed.

#16 07-20-2006 9:05:02 AM

markjrenna
Charter Member
PM

Maybe he has an SA with the SARA Guide.

Can you tell us what you have Hardware/Software?

Board footer