DVR Chatter

Discussing the DCT-6412, Home Theater Devices, Entertainment, Celebrity and the Cable Industry. Not affiliated with any Cable Company, Hardware Manufacturer or Software Developer.

You are not logged in.

-->

#1 08-04-2005 9:29:53 AM

dmward
PM

Remotes conflict

We are in remote "hell" the remotes for several devices, HDTV, 6412's Tivo and DVD recorder all seem to have codes in common. Thus when trying set the record time on the DVD recorder the Tivo also scrolls etc.
In addition we have installed two 6412s to gain sufficent recording time. And naturally they share the some remote codes.

Is there a way to get the different devices to use different codes for actions?

I am willing to spend the time reprogramming the remotes if that is what is required.

Thanks for insights.
David

#2 08-04-2005 9:55:50 AM

Frank
DVR Chatter Honcho
PM  Website

Re: Remotes conflict

Technically, the only two devices that should have a conflict are the two 6412s.  The only way I have ever seen anyone get around that restriction is to use a piece of cardboard to swich back and forth blocking the sensor on the front of the 6412 they are not using at the time.  In theory, another way to get around it would be to put the two 6412s on opposite sides of the TV (or room) and hope for the best.

Without knowing what brands of equipment are conflicting (TiVo, DVD-R and TV), I don't know how much help anyone can be on solving it.  Even within a brand, I thought each type of device should have it's own set of codes.

I successfully use a Harmony 659 remote to run my TV (Sony), DVD Player (JVC), Audio Rcvr (Pioneer), 6412 (Motorola), TiVo(Philips) and (believe it or not) Air Conditioner (Whirlpool) without conflict.

There are certainly people here who are more expert on the inner workings of remotes, though.  Maybe someone has a magic pill to fix it.

#3 09-16-2005 1:19:09 PM

dmward
PM

Frank,
Thanks for the info. Seems I forgot to check back here.
The Tivo's have a switch on them so that two Tivos can be in the same stack and independently controlled by one remote by switching back and forth.

We have a Pioneer DVD recorder, the remote for which also seems to affect the Tivo it is connected to for recording. (The Tivo is a Tivo Series 2)

That is the biggest problem. I have also noticed that the 6412 sometimes responds to the Samsung DVD remote. It's the Sammy DVD that upconverts to HD input.

David

#4 06-04-2006 1:19:30 AM

Wareagle
Charter Member
PM

Hey, Frank --

Something occurred to me when I saw a similar question on another forum (but I decided to post here, because of the greater likelihood of getting an intelligent response).  Has anyone ever tried using polarizers to separate the remote signals to two DVR's?    I realize the signal could be attenuated too much for practical use, since you'd need to have a polarizer on the remote as well as each DVR, and the cost might be excessive, but the idea appeals to the Rube Goldberg part of me.  Put a polarizing filter on the remote, with one DVR having a filter aligned with the remote and the other DVR 90 degrees off -- hold the remote level for one and perpendicular for the other.  Or you could get fancy and have a rotating filter on the remote.  Since I only have one DVR, it's just a mental exercise for me.   cool

Last edited by Wareagle (06-04-2006 1:20:27 AM)

Board footer