DVR Chatter

Discussing the DCT-6412, Home Theater Devices, Entertainment, Celebrity and the Cable Industry. Not affiliated with any Cable Company, Hardware Manufacturer or Software Developer.

You are not logged in.

-->

#1 10-31-2008 3:29:38 PM

wac2006
PM

DCH6416 overrides CC on Samsung TV

I was thrilled with a new Samsung LN32A450 TV and the use of a CC button on the remote for closed caption, until I hooked it up to the DCH6416 DVR from CableOne.  The DVR overrides the closed captioning functionality on the TV so that you can't use the CC button on the TV remote.  Setting the DVR closed caption setting to Disabled does NOT solve the problem.  The Caption option in the TV Setup is grayed out (disabled) when hooked up to the DVR.  Using HDMI if that matters.  Until I solve the problem, I'm using the closed captioning in the DVR.  Any ideas?

#2 10-31-2008 4:48:59 PM

wac2006
PM

Re: DCH6416 overrides CC on Samsung TV

I found this answer on WikiBooks:

The way that closed captioning works depends on the type of cable used to connect the DVR to your TV.

Closed Caption: Coaxial, S-Video, or RCA video
Use your TV's built-in closed caption decoding to display closed captions when you connect the DVR to the TV with any of the following:

Coaxial RF OUT: The typical screw-on cable connector.
Composite video: The yellow RCA jack.
S-Video
Your TV may have a closed caption button on the remote (often labeled "CC"), or else you may need to use your TV's on-screen menu system to enable decoding of closed captions.

Closed Caption: HDMI, Component, etc
You must use the USER SETTINGS menu on the DVR if you connect with any other cable type, including HDMI and component (YPbPr). You can not use your TV's closed caption features because these other connections can not carry the closed caption signal. Instead, you must tell the DVR to decode closed captions, and then overlay them on the video sent to the TV.

Unfortunately, it is very inconvenient to switch between displaying and hiding closed captions. You must use the USER SETTINGS menu which requires you to power-off your DVR. After accessing the menu (see above), move down to the CLOSED CAPTION entry then change DISABLED to ENABLED. When you power on the DVR again the next time, captions will always be displayed.

There are some other caption settings when ENABLED which are mostly self explanatory. For ANALOG, CC1 is the standard closed captioning channel. CC2 is often used for Spanish captioning.

It is limitations of HDMI and component connections that prevent you from using your TV's closed caption features, not the fault of the Motorola DVR. See the HDTV interoperability issues section on the main Wikipedia page for closed captions for more details on these limitations.

#3 10-31-2008 4:57:55 PM

Wareagle
Charter Member
PM

Re: DCH6416 overrides CC on Samsung TV

I was just about to send you a link to that explanation.  One thing you might consider if CC is vital to you is to also connect an s-video or composite cable and switch to an alternate input to the TV when you want to use the TV's CC.

Board footer