DVR Chatter

Discussing the DCT-6412, Home Theater Devices, Entertainment, Celebrity and the Cable Industry. Not affiliated with any Cable Company, Hardware Manufacturer or Software Developer.

You are not logged in.

-->

#1 10-29-2008 10:54:41 AM

jman444
PM

Motorola Box Frozen (except channel and volume)

I have had a Motorola DCH6416 HDTV Cable Box w/ DVR HD HDMI from Comcast for about a month.  Everything worked fine until Monday morning when I noticed that the remote would change channels and raise the volume (although the on-screen volume meter and channel numbers would NOT appear on my screen), but would NOT let me access my Guide, Info, DVR, OnDemand, or any other function of the box.  When I went to press the buttons on the box itself, the same problem occurred - meaning, the channel buttons worked and allowed me to change channels, but nothing happens when I push the Guide button or the Info button or anything else. 

In summary, the box is allowing me to change channels and raise/lower volume but not allowing me to access the Guide, Info, myDVR, OnDemand, or anything else.

I have scoured the internet for 2 days trying to find a solution to this problem.  PLEASE HELP.  I really appreciate your time and suggestions.

#2 10-29-2008 11:06:19 AM

Bobby
Charter Member
PM

Re: Motorola Box Frozen (except channel and volume)

Unplug the DVR for 10 minutes or so and then plug it back in.  After it boots up does that fix the problem?  If it doesn't call Comcast and have them send a hit to the box to see if that will fix it.  Otherwise they will need to replace it.

#3 10-29-2008 11:12:47 AM

Wareagle
Charter Member
PM

Assuming it's not a problem with the remote (battery?), you can try some resets on the box.  First, try unplugging the DVR for a minute and plugging it back in.  If that doesn't work, try one or more of the resets listed here: http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/How_to_use … DVR/Resets.  Be careful to note the warnings.  If none of that works, call 1-800-COMCAST and ask them to send a signal to the box.  If all else fails, you may need to swap for a new DVR.

#4 10-29-2008 12:12:54 PM

jman444
PM

Thanks for your replies.  Last night I unplugged the box for about 3 hours and then replugged it back in and that did not solve the problem. 

Would a reset cause me to lose all my recorded programs on the box?  Will the rest on the link you provided me work even if my Motorola box is a DCH box?

Why would sending a signal to the box make the Guide, OnDemand, or MyDVR work? 

Have you seen this problem addressed elsewhere on DVR Chatter?

Thank you for your assistance.

#5 10-29-2008 5:41:53 PM

ghoofie
Charter Member
PM  Website

The DVR that Comcast provides is very flaky.  If you unplugged your box and  it still doesn't work,
you probably need a new box.

#6 10-29-2008 6:19:21 PM

Wareagle
Charter Member
PM

See the cited reference for info on the effect of resets on your recordings.

Board footer