DVR Chatter

Discussing the DCT-6412, Home Theater Devices, Entertainment, Celebrity and the Cable Industry. Not affiliated with any Cable Company, Hardware Manufacturer or Software Developer.

You are not logged in.

-->

#1 10-08-2008 2:24:30 AM

J-Mac
PM

Comcast Silver Remotes - Odd Behavior

Hopefully someone has some info about this.

When I swapped out a couple DCT-6412's for DCH-3416's I was given two new Silver Remotes - look the same as my existing Comcast Remotes. But while customizing some buttons and adding a macro or two I found that the remotes - only the two new ones - no longer seem to have a "default device" assigned to them. IOW, I literally have to press the device button prior to each button function, which is getting to be a real PITA!

After powering on my HDTV, none of the buttons that control the DVR functions work until I press the "Cable" device button up top. Then the mute button, assigned now to my TV, won't work until I stop and press the "TV" device button up top, etc., etc.

I have been through all the manuals and web sites I know about trying to find a way to get these remotes back to working like the old ones - where whichever button I press "knows" which device is supposed to be controlled and uses that device function.

Been through the Universal Remote Codes page, the CH Engineering page, and all the Wikibooks Moto DVR & Remotes pages. Nothing seems to help.

I appreciate any advice!

Thanks!

Jim

J-Mac

#2 10-08-2008 10:09:20 AM

ghoofie
Charter Member
PM  Website

Re: Comcast Silver Remotes - Odd Behavior

Ony thing I would add is that it  happens whenever I use the Comcast silver remote. I would hit a button and notice  that one of the other devices button would light up, so I too, have to press which device I want the remote to process.  But that remote stays in a cabinet. I use a Logitech Harmony remote...much better.

#3 10-08-2008 11:13:07 AM

Wareagle
Charter Member
PM

My Comcast remote remains assigned to the last device used.  Since I set the volume lock as indicated at http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/How_to_use … olume_Lock, the TV volume is controlled while cable is selected, so I don't need to change it from cable.  Perhaps that's how you have it set up and it just doesn't work that way with yours now, but it's a suggestion.

#4 10-08-2008 11:26:52 AM

ghoofie
Charter Member
PM  Website

Wareagle wrote:

My Comcast remote remains assigned to the last device used.  Since I set the volume lock as indicated at http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/How_to_use … olume_Lock, the TV volume is controlled while cable is selected, so I don't need to change it from cable.  Perhaps that's how you have it set up and it just doesn't work that way with yours now, but it's a suggestion.

That's the way I have mine setup too.  That's the problem...in your example..even though it's locked
to TV volume, the device will switch. It's been a quirk in my comcast remote like forever. But I forgot about
it because I haven't used it in so long.

Harmony ONE remote rocks !!

#5 10-08-2008 1:08:54 PM

Wareagle
Charter Member
PM

Well, as long as mine still works that way it's more than adequate.  I've never had the need for anything more elaborate.

#6 10-08-2008 2:03:22 PM

J-Mac
PM

Wareagle wrote:

I have assigned the "TV/VCR" button as the mute for the TV, and yes - after using that the cable/DVR functions donít work until I press the cable button.  Also, I have the "C" button just below the "Page Down" button configured to power the TV on or off, leaving the DVR on at all times. That, too, makes all buttons "dead" until I press a device button.

Odd thing is, I would think that the TV button would light up after I use either that TV/VCR (Mute) button or the Red C (TV Power) button. Instead, NO device button lights up at all until I press a device button manually. The remote just appears to be completely dead, non-responive, until I press a device button. I never saw that with prior remotes. Also, tI still have all my older Silver Comcast remotes and they donít behave like the new ones at all. At least some device button always lights up, even if it is not the correct device!

Thanks!

Jim

-

J-Mac

#7 10-08-2008 2:23:19 PM

J-Mac
PM

Also I do have a Harmony 880 remote but have "retired" it to the box in the attic with devices I either hate or donít use anymore.

It has never been responsive enough to be useful. E.g., my 42" HD Plasma TV takes anywhere from 20 to 30 seconds to fully power up. The way the Harmony 880 works is that, like all Harmony remotes, it is configured to switch from device to device to perform all functions that would normally require several separate device remotes. I had the Plasma TV, Comcast DVR, and various DVD Changers/players at different times. So basically three distinct devices. If, say, the TV was on getting its signal from the DVR and I wanted to instead watch a DVD in the DVD changer, I'd press the "Watch a DVD" button on the Harmony remote. It would simulate the Source Select button on the TV, select the component cable source with which the DVD player was connected to the TV, and power on the DVD changer/player.

Problems arose because you must keep the remote pointed at the devices until ALL commands were sent and received. If for any reason a command was not picked up by a device, the Harmony remote still "thought" it had successfully executed all commands associated with the single "Watch a DVD" button (or whichever other was pressed). If this happened, the only way to correct the Harmony remote was to press the Help button and then answer a series of questions regarding what condition all devices were currently in. Very sloooow. It would say (on its LCD screen), "Is the TV power on?" and you have to press "Yes", then "Is the DVR power on?", and so on, and so on...  Because the Comcast/Moto DVRs have such lousy IR reception from any remotes, it would often either miss or delay actions, causing the Harmony - and/or its user! - to always be somewhat confused.

The biggest problem was that the TV takes so long on its initial power-up that someone - usually one of my granddaughters - would walk between the Harmony remote as I am holding it with arm outstretched in front of me, pointing it dutifully at the DVR or TV IR receivers!  Arrgghh!! This usually caused a signal to be missed and me having to invoke the stupid "Help" sequence, which you learn to hate in a very powerful way. Soon my daughters were grabbing and holding on to their daughters whenever the remote was being used, in fear of having a "Remote Failure Eruption" from me!

It was just too much to take, for me anyway!

Thanks!

Jim

J-Mac

#8 10-08-2008 2:43:52 PM

Wareagle
Charter Member
PM

The remote already has a "Mute" button, so if you implement the Volume Lock for the TV, it will mute the TV without any further changes.  Also, the "C" button already performs a very useful function while navigating through the guide (it pages forward a day, just as the "B" button pages backward a day).  I suggest you reset the remote and start over with a few simple things (such as Volume Lock), and stay away from reconfiguring useful buttons.  The "PIP" buttons at the bottom of the remote don't seem to be doing anything, so try using the "on/off" button there for your TV.

#9 10-08-2008 6:15:50 PM

ghoofie
Charter Member
PM  Website

J-Mac wrote:

Also I do have a Harmony 880 remote but have "retired" it to the box in the attic with devices I either hate or donít use anymore.

The biggest problem was that the TV takes so long on its initial power-up that someone - usually one of my granddaughters - would walk between the Harmony remote as I am holding it with arm outstretched in front of me, pointing it dutifully at the DVR or TV IR receivers!  Arrgghh!! This usually caused a signal to be missed and me having to invoke the stupid "Help" sequence, which you learn to hate in a very powerful way. Soon my daughters were grabbing and holding on to their daughters whenever the remote was being used, in fear of having a "Remote Failure Eruption" from me!

It was just too much to take, for me anyway!

Thanks!

Jim

You don't have to go to the help sequence.  You can just hit Watch  TV again or Watch DVD again, etc.
I guess it's a trade off.  It does take a bit longer because it  goes through the entire sequence for each
defined activity. For example, if I last watched TV, the input setting to the TV is already set to the DVR  box. The next time I  turn the TV on, it goes  through the entire sequence, so it has to set the TV input again.
But the upside for me, is I just hit one button to do any activity.   I always hit the activity, put the remote down and do something else. Like I hit Watch DVD and while it's doing all the settings, I'm taking the DVD outta the package and walk over to the DVD and it's always ready to go by then.  smile

#10 10-08-2008 10:22:48 PM

J-Mac
PM

ghoofie,

If I donít keep the remote pointed at the equipment throughout the entire sequence it will NOT complete it. Also, if you donít use the Help function to correct a bad/missed input and any of your commands are "Toggled" commands, then you have a bigger mess the next time you try to use it.

("Toggled" = Toggle the power; if it is On, it clicks it to the opposite; if Off, it turns it On, etc. Just one example.)

Jim

J-Mac

#11 10-08-2008 10:26:28 PM

J-Mac
PM

Wareagle,

Not the same with the newer Comcast remotes; they are different in function, though not in looks. E.g., your remote takes only 4 digits for device codes, correct? On the newer ones you must enter a 5 digit code, and some are not just an extra leading "0", but entirely different numbers. I have read some reports - I think it was in the Denver area just last month - of these newer remotes working hardly at all on the DCH-3416 boxes, while the older ones work fine.

Thanks!

Jim

J-Mac

#12 10-09-2008 3:30:40 PM

ghoofie
Charter Member
PM  Website

J-Mac wrote:

ghoofie,

If I donít keep the remote pointed at the equipment throughout the entire sequence it will NOT complete it. Also, if you donít use the Help function to correct a bad/missed input and any of your commands are "Toggled" commands, then you have a bigger mess the next time you try to use it.

("Toggled" = Toggle the power; if it is On, it clicks it to the opposite; if Off, it turns it On, etc. Just one example.)

Jim

Yep I get that part. There have been times when I had to go thru the help sequence.  But for example,
when I'm finished watching a DVD, I hit the Watch TV activity to switch everything from back to TV inputs.
The TV is already on, and I guess the Harmony knows that, because it doesn't toggle the on/off for the
TV as it does when I hit Watch TV for the first time (i.e. the TV was off). Sometimes, when switching from
DVD to  TV, the correct input doesn't get changed, sometimes it does.  When it  doesn't, I simply hit
Watch TV a second time, and it goes thru the sequence of changing inputs, but doesn't toggle the
power of either the DVD (which was turned off during the  Watch TV sequence), and the TV itself.
I think these Harmony's are pretty smart, but there are times , as you  say, that you have to use
the help function to get things back in sync. (I rarely have to do that though).

#13 10-09-2008 4:50:57 PM

Wareagle
Charter Member
PM

I never have understood the attraction of the fancy remotes.  The Comcast remote does what little I need from a remote.  Perhaps if I were using the DVD player more than once or twice a year I would appreciate it??

#14 10-09-2008 6:40:39 PM

ghoofie
Charter Member
PM  Website

Wareagle wrote:

I never have understood the attraction of the fancy remotes.  The Comcast remote does what little I need from a remote.  Perhaps if I were using the DVD player more than once or twice a year I would appreciate it??

Exactly !!  LOL We watch a couple DVD movies a week.

The nice thing about the 'fancy' remotes is the changing of the inputs, for me.
It's nice when we want to watch a DVD, push one button that actually says "Watch DVD".
It turns on the DVD player, turns on the surround system, and changes the TV input to
the DVD player. Also, the different remote buttons operate accordingly: The volume now
operates the surround player, but the channel up/down does the chapters on the DVD player,
etc etc.   When we're done with the movie, press Watch TV and the DVD player shuts off,
the surround shuts off, and the TV input changes to the DVR.

But the BIGGEST thing.... my wife doesn't call me into the room to ask how to do things.
She just pushes buttons or presses the touch screen.

I was like you War, it was my wife who wanted me to get one after our friends told us about theirs.
Now I like it.

#15 10-09-2008 9:23:23 PM

Wareagle
Charter Member
PM

My wife has a PhD and is a professor in the top ranking nursing program in the country, but when it comes to mechanical things she doesn't even attempt to go there.  I am her remote operator, no matter how easy or hard it is to use.   wink

Board footer