DVR Chatter

Discussing the DCT-6412, Home Theater Devices, Entertainment, Celebrity and the Cable Industry. Not affiliated with any Cable Company, Hardware Manufacturer or Software Developer.

You are not logged in.

-->

#1 06-23-2008 11:16:08 AM

loub555
PM

Anyone else tried the magic jack?

I ordered one and it arrived Saturday. Took about three minutes to get it up and running. So it works as advertised. 40 dollars to order it and the first year of service. 20 dollars a year for service after that. Free calls to anywhere in the U.S. and Canada. The only problem right now is not all area codes are available. I took an Augusta, Ga. area code so my daughter who lives there can call me for free but when the Savannah area code becomes available I'll just buy another one for local use. For 20 dollars a year it's affordable.

Here's a link for anyone that's interested.

http://www.magicjack.com/2/?mid=304185

Last edited by loub555 (06-23-2008 11:22:36 AM)

#2 06-23-2008 3:08:52 PM

Georgia Guy
Charter Member
PM

Re: Anyone else tried the magic jack?

I read about them on several websites, and toyed with the idea of getting one just to try out.
Then, I saw a guy do a 1/2 hour sales pitch on television, and he had the opposite effect intended.  After watching his greasy spiel, I decided not to try it.  I might reconsider sometime though....my At&T phone bill is freaking enormous.

How is the sound quality?   Any dropped calls, or anything like that?  Works ok on a multi-handset cordless phone system, I suppose.

I found a WHOLE BUNCH of magic-jack owners whining about it on google, but by far the biggest complaint was idiots griping about having their debit cards billed before the supposed "30-day free trail" was up.  They were complaining that the $39 caused their checking accounts to bounce.  Geez.
A few of the complaining crowd had voice quality problems.

#3 06-23-2008 3:13:17 PM

Georgia Guy
Charter Member
PM

BTW, my daughter & son-in-law have been vacationing down there in Savannah for the last week (actually he's there for some lawyer continuing education conference, but they are making a vacation out of it).
She said y'all got a real tree-twisting gully-washer down there a day or two ago.

We are jealous of your rain here.

#4 06-23-2008 3:23:19 PM

ghoofie
Charter Member
PM  Website

I don't see the need for one yet.  We use are cell phones for all long distance. We get very good cell reception in our home.  We still have a land line, it's hardly used anymore.  People have pretty much started calling me/wife on our seperate cells depending on who they are calling.  I still like the idea of a land line for 911 that registers my address should need be.

#5 06-23-2008 4:22:26 PM

andyross
Charter Member
PM  Website

If I understand it right, you need to leave your computer running all the time for it to work? You need your Internet connection to be reliable?

What about the cost of electricity keeping the computer running? Will it work if the computer is in standby?

Sony KV-30XBR910, Sony STR-DB930, Sony DVP-NS55P, JVC HR-S3800U, Motorola DCT-6412, Sony KV-13FS100, OneForAll URC-8910.
Andy's UnEmpty Web Page
How to use a Motorola DVR

#6 06-23-2008 6:02:03 PM

loub555
PM

How is the sound quality?   Any dropped calls, or anything like that?  Works ok on a multi-handset cordless phone system, I suppose.

Sound is good, only has a spit and sputter sound on some calls like every tenth one but if I hang up and redial it's gone. Not sure if it's the jack or the phone causing it. You can tell if it's happening while the phone is ringing before the other end picks up. No dropped calls yet. Yes, I'm using it on a 3 phone system works fine.

If I understand it right, you need to leave your computer running all the time for it to work? You need your Internet connection to be reliable?

Yes and Yes. Haven't tried it in standby.

I still like the idea of a land line for 911 that registers my address should need be.

This will do that. Hey, for 20 dollars a year, can't beat the price.

She said y'all got a real tree-twisting gully-washer down there a day or two ago

Yea a bad one. Tore up some houses on the south side. Really haven't had a lot of rain though about once a week or so.

Last edited by loub555 (06-23-2008 6:04:07 PM)

Board footer