DVR Chatter

Discussing the DCT-6412, Home Theater Devices, Entertainment, Celebrity and the Cable Industry. Not affiliated with any Cable Company, Hardware Manufacturer or Software Developer.

You are not logged in.

-->

#1 06-18-2008 8:12:05 AM

Frank
DVR Chatter Honcho
PM  Website

Posting of Associated Press (AP) Content

For those of you who are unaware of the Associated Press' outright assault on the legal concept of fair use as it applies to copyright law, the AP has decided that they will be ignoring the protections to citizens that are built into copyright law and want to charge a $12.50 fee for anyone that quotes more than 4 words of one of their left-wing propaganda pieces.  You can read more about it here or on basically any blog (left, right, center or unrelated) because they're all freaking out.

The four words include headlines.  I assume posting AP pictures is also a problem.

I quote Tech Crunch in explaining DVR Chatter's new AP policy:

Here's our new policy on A.P. [content]: they don't exist. We don't see them, we don't quote them, we don't link to them. They're banned until they abandon this new strategy, and I encourage others to do the same until they back down from these ridiculous attempts to stop the spread of information around the Internet.

Going forward, I will remove the content of any post that references any piece of AP content.  That includes summaries and descriptions. I will leave a notice of why it was removed in its place.

Please carefully review the source (original source) of any material you post before you post it, because I will be reviewing it after it is posted.

Print media is now basically irrelevant, and web users are about to make the source from which most print media gets their content irrelevant.

#2 06-18-2008 11:41:03 AM

Wareagle
Charter Member
PM

Re: Posting of Associated Press (AP) Content

I usually prefer a link to a quote, but now I suppose the descriptions of the link contents will be much more cryptic.  Burn before reading.  roll

Board footer