DVR Chatter

Discussing the DCT-6412, Home Theater Devices, Entertainment, Celebrity and the Cable Industry. Not affiliated with any Cable Company, Hardware Manufacturer or Software Developer.

You are not logged in.

-->

#1 05-08-2008 7:21:54 AM

jganyard
PM

You've lost that looovin feeling....

...Now it's gone...gone...gone...wooooooh.  Almost.

Sad news for Comcast unfortunately. 

I officially made the leap to DirecTV last night with the installation of a Slimline 5LNB dish and HR21 HD DVR and H?? HD Receiver.  I'll keep Comcast for internet and phone, but it just made financial and HD sense to switch.  I crunched the numbers and we'll actually save ~$500 over a 2year period at same time enjoying more HD.

Right now Comcast TV hasn't been cancelled just yet, I want to make it through the 3-day "honeymoon" period with DirecTV as well as finish watching our backlog of recordings... but soon, very soon.

Don't worry though, I'll still keep tabs as usual on DVRChatter.  Someone needs to hang around here to disagree with Frank!

#2 05-08-2008 8:09:38 AM

lewisr
PM

Re: You've lost that looovin feeling....

Can you show us the math?

#3 05-08-2008 9:48:35 AM

jganyard
PM

Re: You've lost that looovin feeling....

There are a plethora of discounts that DirecTV is currently offering that I was able to stack...

-$10 for 24mos - AAA customer discount
-$18 for 12mos - DirecTV new customer discount
-$10 for 5mos - Customer referral discount (referring customer gets the same discount)
-$5 for 12mos - Credit for HD Extra $4.99 fee for 12mos

Paid $99 plus tax and s/h for HD DVR "lease fee".  HD Receiver was free/no lease fee, though there is an add'l $4.99 per month charge.  The plan I signed up for includes DVR (other plans requires $4.99 DVR fee, but you only pay one DVR fee no matter how many you have).

Also got HBO, Showtime & Starz free for 3mos under their current promotion; -$35 credit each of the first 3mos.

I ran a spreadsheet calculating monthly costs of DirecTV taking into account the various discount expirations, and upfront HD DVR fee plus Comcast Internet & Phone.  In comparison to my current monthly bill with Comcast for all three services it worked out to about $500 in savings over the 24mos period.  Used 24mos since that is the term of DirecTVs contract.  I made the assumtion that rates would remain the same for both companies across the term (of course that won't happen).

Board footer