DVR Chatter

Discussing the DCT-6412, Home Theater Devices, Entertainment, Celebrity and the Cable Industry. Not affiliated with any Cable Company, Hardware Manufacturer or Software Developer.

You are not logged in.

-->

#1 04-19-2008 8:14:19 PM

ghoofie
Charter Member
PM  Website

Difference in HD picture size question

So, pals-o-mine,
Help me with please if ya don't mind..

My TV is a 46" Wide screen..and..

I can be watching a program on and HD channel, it appears to be HD,
and the screen is full...all the way across.

Then I can put on another channel, which is also HD, and the picture is
still what I would call landscaped... wider then taller... but the picture
is smaller and centered on the screen, and the rest of the screen all around
it is black...letterbox I guess  you could call it...but not just the top and bottom,
but also the sides.

And still a third channel will have the normal 'square ' picture size.

So the first example I guess is 16:9.  The third is 4:3, right ? What is the second example ?

My TV setting is for 16:9 aspect. I have 4 size options.  Whenever I watch a 4:3 I can stretch, but
the three examples above all happen on their own.

If you that are wise in these things care to explain, how does all that change by itself ?

#2 04-19-2008 10:06:50 PM

Wareagle
Charter Member
PM

Re: Difference in HD picture size question

The first and third are quite common, since the first is a normal 16:9 HD picture and the third is a 4:3 SD picture as viewed on an HD channel (such as for an SD commercial).  The middle one seems to be a 16:9 picture embedded in a 4:3 frame, as you would see if an HD picture was being viewed on a 4:3 TV, or with a cable box configured to provide a 4:3 picture to an HD TV.  I can't think of any reason for an HD channel to be providing such a feed on its own.

#3 04-20-2008 9:42:52 AM

Bobby
Charter Member
PM

I am seeing this quite a bit on the newly activated Sci-Fi HD channel.  It is termed windowboxing.  Wareagle is correct, it is 16:9 picture embedded in a 4:3 frame.  I have been noticing this on the Eastern time zone transmission.  I haven't yet tried it on the Western one, maybe it goes full screen in it's proper time.  Although, BSG was full 16:9 in the Eastern feed.

#4 04-20-2008 11:13:30 AM

Wareagle
Charter Member
PM

I've often seen 16:9 embedded in 4:3 on SD channels, but not on HD, other than 16:9 SD commercials.  Do you have both eastern and western Sci-Fi HD channels (I can't believe poor old Comcast would use bandwidth for that), or are you referring to the eastern HD and western SD (which is what I get in Seattle), or perhaps a second showing on the eastern HD channel?

#5 04-20-2008 12:07:30 PM

Bobby
Charter Member
PM

No, just one feed and it is the eastern feed on the HD channel, even though we are on the west coast.  It's the same with the newly activated Food-HD but all of it is wide screen, SD (stretched) and HD.

And yes, I mean the second showing on the eastern feed, just for clarification.

#6 04-21-2008 4:22:48 PM

andyross
Charter Member
PM  Website

The first may be true HD, or some form of stretched SD.

The second is an SD 4:3 letterboxed program that has been upconverted. Basically, you get the pillarboxes (on the sides) for the 4:3 conversion, then letterboxing from the SD. This may be where they only have a letterboxed copy (or rights to only SD), but no HD version. Doctor Who and Sarah Jane Adventures are NOT recorded in HD, they are widescreen PAL SD. Torchwood is recorded in HD. I don't know when BBCAmerica HD launches, but I already see HD tags on some of their shows.

For those, I often go back to the SD channel so I can ZOOM it with my TV. Some TV's may let you do that with an HD signal.

The third is an SD 4:3 program without letterboxing.

Last edited by andyross (04-21-2008 4:25:35 PM)

Sony KV-30XBR910, Sony STR-DB930, Sony DVP-NS55P, JVC HR-S3800U, Motorola DCT-6412, Sony KV-13FS100, OneForAll URC-8910.
Andy's UnEmpty Web Page
How to use a Motorola DVR

#7 04-21-2008 5:11:00 PM

Wareagle
Charter Member
PM

If they have a letterboxed SD program, why not upconvert it to 16:9 without the pillarboxes?  If you and I can do it with our TVs, why can't the originator?

Board footer