DVR Chatter

Discussing the DCT-6412, Home Theater Devices, Entertainment, Celebrity and the Cable Industry. Not affiliated with any Cable Company, Hardware Manufacturer or Software Developer.

You are not logged in.

-->

#1 04-17-2008 11:11:13 AM

butterscotchdragonfly
PM

No audio from Moto QIP6416 DVR , the DVD, VCR, Surround Sound is OK

The DVD player and VCR look and sound great through the surround sound system and TV. Not so the DVR, which has picture but no audio on any channel.   
However, the DVR must be getting audio as I recorded a show and played in back with great sound in another room with the Multiroom DVR function.  But, there is no audio at all coming from the DVR. I've checked and rechecked every cable, wire and connection. They are all good. The DVR audio settings are fine, the mute is not on, but, still no sound.
I don't want another DVR, as the current one has some things I haven't watched yet, but want to. I just want this one to output audio, as it should. Any suggestions? Thanks. B.

#2 04-18-2008 8:13:45 AM

Frank
DVR Chatter Honcho
PM  Website

Re: No audio from Moto QIP6416 DVR , the DVD, VCR, Surround Sound is OK

Have you tried unplugging / Replugging the box?  This is the most basic reset of a Motorola box (turning it off and on will usually not do the trick).

Barring that, you may have a bum box.

#3 04-18-2008 9:53:20 AM

ghoofie
Charter Member
PM  Website

Verizon FiOS uses the Moto box too ?

#4 04-18-2008 9:58:47 AM

Frank
DVR Chatter Honcho
PM  Website

Yes, but a QIP version, not DCT or DCH.  VOD is sent to the box via IP rather than via QAM.

#5 04-19-2008 12:02:49 PM

butterscotchdragonfly
PM

I've searched around the net, and there are folks that have some type of Motorola DVR from Concast,  or a Scientific Altanta box, with audio that is intermittent or quits completely.  The Motorola 6416 Wikipedia page says one of the top problems with that DVR is with the audio. They also suggest unplugging it for a few minutes. That did nothing. I checked and rechecked everything, got new audio cable, the AIWA surround sound settings seem OK (I can play a DVD with sound),  the DVR's audio settings are fine. The DVR is getting an audio signal, it's just not outputting one. Maybe I over looked something. You would think that there would be more on the web about this problem.  Maybe Verizon could send a signal to try and correct  things? This is a quite frustrating problem. B

#6 04-19-2008 12:15:29 PM

Bobby
Charter Member
PM

Maybe Verizon could exchange your box as was suggested after unplugging didn't fix the issue.  You've done all you can do from your end.

#7 04-19-2008 12:50:39 PM

Frank
DVR Chatter Honcho
PM  Website

I'd call them and let them know you have a busted box.  If you've done all the resets and the hard power cord reboot and still are getting no sound, the thing's broken.

#8 04-19-2008 1:36:06 PM

Bobby
Charter Member
PM

Eccchhhhoooooo.....  smile

#9 04-21-2008 12:03:27 AM

butterscotchdragonfly
PM

Following the suggestion someone gave me, I turned the surround sound up as high as it would go, to 50. The display started flashing red (a warning not to turn it up so high), but before I turned the volume down I could hear faint audio. The DVR must be outputting a very weak audio signal. So, I rechecked the audio settings on the DVR, the volume is where it should be and is not muted.

And, the surround sound settings seem OK, I can play a DVD and it sounds very good through all the speakers and subwoofer. In wish there were other settings, etc. to check, or something that Verizon could do remotely. I hate to exchange the DVR as it has some unwatched movies and such on it.

But, I guess I'll have to call Verizon in the morning and face the muzak. However, maybe they could play some great classic rock, instead. After all, last time I was on hold long enough to hear Inna-Gadda-Da-Vida. B.

Board footer