DVR Chatter

Discussing the DCT-6412, Home Theater Devices, Entertainment, Celebrity and the Cable Industry. Not affiliated with any Cable Company, Hardware Manufacturer or Software Developer.

You are not logged in.

-->

#1 04-06-2008 6:10:19 PM

LowLight21
PM

Help me understand the Digital TV Transition in February 2009

I haven't done a lot of reading into this, mainly because I've got cable boxes throughout my house and I don't have any TVs that are old enough to be affected by this.  But, my main question is this: does this relieve the bottleneck that we're always hearing of from the cable companies regarding how they are still forced to use up so much of their bandwidth by distributing analog channels?  Shouldn't February 20, 2009 provide cable companies with the opportunity to start sending 100% digital versions of all channels?  What am I missing?

#2 04-06-2008 7:05:52 PM

Frank
DVR Chatter Honcho
PM  Website

Re: Help me understand the Digital TV Transition in February 2009

One has nothing to do with the other except that the Cable Companies are using peoples' confusion regarding the transition as a way to cut off analog services.

The way it's supposed to work is that - on that date - OTA broadcasters shut off their analog stations and broadcast only digitally.  Not only in HD - they are free to digitally transmit their SD signal.  Cable companies can, after the date, take in the digital signal and put it out over analog cable just like they are doing now.

What is happening is that the shifty cable company bastards are using the transition to say "we're cutting off analog and you have to get a cable box to get TV," which isn't the case AT ALL.  Analog cable has nothing to do with it.  They could still transmit everything they're currently transmitting analog after that date, they just don't want to.

#3 04-06-2008 8:03:16 PM

Wareagle
Charter Member
PM

Frank wrote:

What is happening is that the shifty cable company bastards are using the transition to say "we're cutting off analog and you have to get a cable box to get TV," which isn't the case AT ALL.

I wish that were the case, in order to free up bandwidth for more HD on cable.  The FCC is requiring the cable companies to continue to accommodate analog users until February 2012 by continuing to provide analog of local channels or by providing free converters.  Actually, I would be happy if they just made everything beyond the locals digital, but there hasn't even been any indication of that happening where I live, so far.  Making everything digital would be preferable, but they don't seem as intent on pissing off the analog customers as I am.  hmm

#4 04-07-2008 6:03:13 AM

salspalden
PM

Here's what Comcast says:

http://www.comcast.com/Customers/FAQ/Fa … hx?Id=4610

They don't say if it includes all current analog channels or simply local network affiliates.

Sals

#5 04-07-2008 9:05:31 AM

Wareagle
Charter Member
PM

From the wording it would sound like they're referring to OTA only, since that's the problem they refer to, but then Comcast never has been that good at communicating clearly.  hmm

#6 04-07-2008 9:27:02 AM

jganyard
PM

I was going to respond to Frank's post, but you all pointed it out the truth already.  I believe FiOS are the ones planning to go all digital because they are not hamstrung by the FCC like cable.  In fact, FCC Chair Kevin Martin has shown quite a bit of favoritism towards FiOS. 

I'm in the boat with Wareagle, I would love for cable to go all digital.

Example of the difference in treatment of FiOS vs Cable:

http://www.multichannel.com/article/CA6 … c=topstory

Last edited by jganyard (04-07-2008 11:04:33 AM)

#7 04-07-2008 11:16:16 AM

Frank
DVR Chatter Honcho
PM  Website

Thanks for setting me straight.  Cable companies are responsible corporate citizens with no hidden agenda and aren't trying to scare granny into upgrading to digital cable or using the 2009 deadline as an excuse to dump analog cable channels.  My bad. tongue

#8 04-07-2008 12:55:08 PM

Wareagle
Charter Member
PM

Frank wrote:

...Cable companies are responsible corporate citizens with no hidden agenda...

Well, I wouldn't go out on that limb, but facts are facts.  hmm

#9 04-07-2008 12:58:18 PM

Frank
DVR Chatter Honcho
PM  Website

No doubt I missed the whole 2012 thing and how it effects those 5 or 6 channels per market.  As long was we're talking "facts," let's not forget the "fact" that NO cable company is required to carry analog anything to 2012.  They just have to carry the SD channel.  They can do it digitally.  If they do it digitally, they have to give subscribers a box to convert that digital signal.  They don't need to support analog services, just analog TVs.

So granny can go from analog cable with a plethora of analog cable channels and local broadcast channels in analog to:

1. Granny pays to "upgrade" to digital cable to continues getting her broadcast channels and a bunch of additional channels she doesn't want
2. Granny gets a free box and loses all her cable channels but still gets the local broadcast channels.

It also doesn't change the fact that cable companies are cutting off analog services for cable channels that have nothing to do with either 2009 or 2012 mandate using the 2009 mandate (which has nothing to do with them) as an excuse.

#10 04-07-2008 1:28:24 PM

Wareagle
Charter Member
PM

I believe that's what I wrote -- "The FCC is requiring the cable companies to continue to accommodate analog users until February 2012 by continuing to provide analog of local channels or by providing free converters.  Actually, they don't need an excuse to do this, and they probably won't go as far as the FCC allows, since they seem to want to keep their current analog customers.  Perhaps as the number of HD customers grows, the balance of power will shift and the analog customers' life raft will be set adrift.  Hopefully, 2012 will see that day come, since it will mark yet another deadline that they can use as an "excuse".

#11 04-07-2008 2:00:00 PM

Frank
DVR Chatter Honcho
PM  Website

I know you wrote that.  It just didn't seem that anyone was taking it into consideration.  If you all don't think the cable cartel is being shifty in this analog shuffle, more power to you.  I've got no analog-only sets anyway.  I'm on an advanced FTTH system. big_smile

#12 04-08-2008 9:55:48 AM

jganyard
PM

Frank wrote:

...Cable companies are responsible corporate citizens with no hidden agenda...

It's about time you realized the truth about all pay television providers Frank.  What flavor kool-aid would you like?  big_smile

Board footer