DVR Chatter

Discussing the DCT-6412, Home Theater Devices, Entertainment, Celebrity and the Cable Industry. Not affiliated with any Cable Company, Hardware Manufacturer or Software Developer.

You are not logged in.

-->

#1 04-03-2008 6:39:23 PM

ghoofie
Charter Member
PM  Website

Might get a new harmony soon

So my Harmony remote, about 3 yrs old ?, is starting to have problems with
some of the buttons. You have to push REALLY hard to get a few of them to
function. (Nope, it's not the infamous delayed remote response; it's the remote).

I have the model 659 which is very  very basic.  I might stick with just
a basic model again if I do get another one. For now, the buttons are the
ones that you program along side the display screen, so I have reprogrammed
so that the ones  that are having problems are not needed very often.

Time to cash in some Bestbuy rewards maybe.

#2 04-03-2008 7:33:40 PM

Frank
DVR Chatter Honcho
PM  Website

Re: Might get a new harmony soon

Same deal here with my 659.  Two of the buttons near the display screen no longer work.  Apparently, there's some metallic paint inside there that makes the contact, and it wears off.  Did the same thing - moved functions around.  Wish I would have known so I could have pressed those more lightly.

Harmony (now part of Logitek) has some nice new models.  I'm not there yet.  I can do without those buttons for now.

#3 04-03-2008 8:04:31 PM

ghoofie
Charter Member
PM  Website

Actually, after I posted that, I'm just programming a few additional buttons that I don't use for their
'normal' functions...and that'll keep me going for a while longer.

#4 04-04-2008 8:38:59 AM

jganyard
PM

I love the 880... you can probably find some pretty good deals on it right now since they just came out with a newer model.

#5 04-04-2008 2:24:10 PM

salspalden
PM

I have this one:

http://www.universalremote.com/product_ … p?model=38

Had it over 2 years and it works flawlessly. I first ordered a Harmony 880 and sent it back. It felt toyish compared to the MX-850.

I also got this:

http://www.universalremote.com/product_ … ?model=109

...so I could discreetly control 2 dvrs since Motorol didn't see fit to give the damn things discreet codes...something that vcr makers did years ago.

I know it works out to more money than a Harmony and the software (for me) was a challenge to use but I'm quite satisfied. So is my wife. I have one macro button labeled with her name that with one press, turns the tv on, no surround, tv speakers only, and tunes the tv to Lifetime.

If only it could dispense tissues. *sniff*

Sals

#6 04-04-2008 3:30:39 PM

jganyard
PM

salspalden wrote:

... and tunes the tv to Lifetime.

Sals

LMAO!

#7 04-04-2008 3:34:07 PM

Georgia Guy
Charter Member
PM

Salspalden,

I agree about the MX line.  I have 3 of the MX-500's and have been using them for almost 5 years. They all work as good as the day I bought them.  They look almost identical to the 850 you have, but without the separate center button (which would be nice).  I love the hard buttons on the MX's, and the macro abilities.

While I don't really need the RF, I would like some better way to use my PC to program my remotes. I now use an old USB/IR gadget that is no longer available or supported.  I've been thinking about going with a newer MX model that has a good PC interface.  But, I guess as long as the 500's keep on keeping on, I just stick with them.

All together they control 4 Tivos, 3 tv's, 3 dvd players, 2 receivers, 2 vcr's, one comcast box, and my living room lights, replacing about 16 remotes.

Last edited by Georgia Guy (04-04-2008 3:36:19 PM)

Board footer