DVR Chatter

Discussing the DCT-6412, Home Theater Devices, Entertainment, Celebrity and the Cable Industry. Not affiliated with any Cable Company, Hardware Manufacturer or Software Developer.

You are not logged in.

-->

#1 03-07-2008 6:17:32 AM

Antihero
PM

DCH3416 + HDMI Pass through = Random Box Lockups

Hi all, new here.

I swapped out my old DVR today for this new 3416 and I am having the EXACT same problem I had with the old box. This leads me to believe that it is not the box, but how I have the cabling set up that is locking up my DVR box repeatedly.

Ok. The way I want to have my setup is as follows. PC monitor to Receiver, DVR to Receiver, Pass through to TV. 2 HDMI inputs and one output to TV. When I have it set up this way the cable box acts very strange in the fact that it will work for a while, being able to turn it on and off and everything responds. At some point, it may be a day or a week but it always happens, is that the box will freeze. It will freeze with the time that it froze at and if you try to remedy this by resetting the box, sometimes it works, sometimes I got a little line on the DVR screen (like the moving line when it was downloading, but not moving)

My questions are: Is this something that has a work around?
                           If I buy like a 4/1 HDMI switch (Monoprice) will I experience the same issue?
                           Do the lockups have to do with HDCP handshake?

Thanks for taking time to read this.

#2 03-07-2008 9:19:06 AM

jganyard
PM

Re: DCH3416 + HDMI Pass through = Random Box Lockups

Try eliminating the receiver from the mix and going direct from DVR to TV with HDMI and see if that eliminates the problem.  If it doesn't you could be using a bad HDMI cable or its another bad box.

Last edited by jganyard (03-07-2008 9:24:26 AM)

#3 03-07-2008 3:42:40 PM

Antihero
PM

I have tried directly connecting, and yes it works fine.

It also seems to work fine (for overnight at least) if I leave the DVR box on. A funny thing about that is that it will reset at some point in the night to default res and settings. THAT is not too big of a deal because my HDTV is CRT so 1080i looks pretty good. A definite positive trade in the long run if I can have everything hooked up and just have this minor little resolution issue.
Seems to be common problem to people who pass HDMI through a receiver. I am totally a noob when it comes to this stuff, but HDCP handshake issues between the devices seems to make sense.

Still does not answer my original questions, I'll keep waiting.

#4 03-10-2008 12:07:26 PM

jganyard
PM

Step 1 for all Moto DVR owners is to NEVER turn the box off.  That will prevent quite a few problems.

#5 03-13-2008 4:04:58 AM

Antihero
PM

Yeah Ive left it on since my first post and so far no errors. Only thing, like I said, is that settings change, but I just decided to leave it how it was set to avoid the slight aggravation.

Board footer