DVR Chatter

Discussing the DCT-6412, Home Theater Devices, Entertainment, Celebrity and the Cable Industry. Not affiliated with any Cable Company, Hardware Manufacturer or Software Developer.

You are not logged in.

-->

#1 12-24-2007 8:29:02 AM

Frank
DVR Chatter Honcho
PM  Website

User Actually Gets Comcast TiVo DVR Installed

It appears that blogger Steve Garfield is the first to have Comcast's TiVo DVR software upgrade installed on his Motorola DVR.  Being a Comcastic experience, no one should be surprised to learn that it was difficult to order, the CSRs had no idea what they were talking about, you're forced to invite installers into your home to get the software-only upgrade, and a feature isn't working right.

#2 12-24-2007 10:28:47 AM

loub555
PM

Re: User Actually Gets Comcast TiVo DVR Installed

I think I'll stick with the Tivo HD for now. Doesn't get on demand but I never use it much anyway.

#3 12-24-2007 1:22:00 PM

ghoofie
Charter Member
PM  Website

So I'm still confused about using a TIVO box with Comcast cable. I'm becoming more and more unhappy with the Comcast DVR.  So, I go to my nearby Bestbuy, say, and buy the latest/greatest TIVO box. I bring it home, and then what ?   I pay an extra fee to Comcast, I'm sure. But does the TIVO guide update via the comcast cable ?  Do I only pay the additional fee to Comcast or do I also have to subscribe to TIVO ?  Is it gonna be all that costly to do this ?  Or should I just finally have the dish and dish supplied box put in ? 

I have no probs with Comcast internet service in our area. No complaints. Actually, no complaints about the cable TV signal either.   But the DVR !!   ARRRRRRGH !!
Yesterday while watching the 49er game, they driving down to a possible score, and for no reason known to me, my DVR shuts off and starts the reset process. By the time the channels show on the TV, the 49ers had already scored and off  course it wasn't buffered due to the shutdown.  ARRRRRRRGH !! It ISN'T OFTEN you get to see a 49er team score !!  LOL

#4 12-24-2007 2:06:41 PM

Wareagle
Charter Member
PM

You definitely are confused, Ned.  wink

The TiVo/Comcast is (will be... may be...) TiVo s/w in the Motorola DVR, with an extra fee ($2.95?) going to Comcast.  I assume the guide will update through Comcast.

TiVo/TiVo is the TiVo s/w in a TiVo HD or Series 3, and doesn't involve any payment to Comcast other than what is required in order to get CableCard(s).  The guide is updated by TiVo, and requires payment to TiVo.

#5 12-24-2007 2:19:15 PM

ghoofie
Charter Member
PM  Website

I understand the Tivo/Comcast scenario.  Probably be forever til we actually get the option.

I was more wondering about the Tivo/Tivo option. So I would continue to pay Comcast for the signal. Plug the signal into Tivo box. So the  Tivo guide would update through the cable signal I guess ?  Just generally curious, I'll look at it all to get specifics. Just thought someone here might already have the Tivo/Tivo option.
So the cable card go into the Tivo box ?

#6 12-24-2007 2:47:38 PM

Wareagle
Charter Member
PM

ghoofie wrote:

So the cable card go into the Tivo box ?

Yes.  I don't have TiVo, so I'll defer any other details to those who do.

#7 12-24-2007 2:59:14 PM

loub555
PM

TIVO updates through the phone line or wireless usb adapter if you have wireless internet in the house. You pay TIVO $12.95 a month for the TIVO service (firmware updates guide updates, etc). You need two cable cards to be able to record two channels at the same time. The first one is free the second is around two dollars a month. Some areas you can pick them up yourself and have them activated, others require an installer to come out. I tried to activate mine over the phone but there is some sort of problem with it. The tech is coming out Thursday to see what the problem is. Hope that helps you.

Last edited by loub555 (12-24-2007 3:01:03 PM)

#8 01-08-2008 9:23:54 AM

Excitableboy
PM

Just got the "Comcast TIVO is available in your area" email today.   I live near Concord, NH.  Looks like $2.95 per month and a 17.95 "installation" fee.  After reading your posts, I think I'll wait awhile to see what bugs come to light.  After all, I've already waited several years, I can suffer with the clutzy Comcast DVR software a few more months.  Please, keep posting your experiences.  Is the lag time gone?  Do new shows that have been watched keep being re-recorded?  Does the TIVO software on the Comcast box use the TIVO guide or the old Comcast guide? Do I need a phone line connection? Thanks

#9 01-08-2008 12:17:18 PM

Georgia Guy
Charter Member
PM

loub555 wrote:

TIVO updates through the phone line or wireless usb adapter if you have wireless internet in the house.

You can also hardwire the Tivo to your router using cat5 cable.  Its noticably faster than wireless.
Hardwiring requires an ethernet-to-usb adapter (to attach the cat cable to the back of the Tivo), like the Linksys 200m (about $29)
Doing the hardwire method makes transferring shows from one Tivo to another, or to the PC, a quite a bit faster.

#10 01-19-2008 11:17:38 AM

anthony1102
PM

just got my comcast tivo it kool running on a moto 3412 just a firm ware update. took the tech 2 hrs frist in area  east coast mass.

#11 01-19-2008 11:22:24 AM

Wareagle
Charter Member
PM

How well does it work, compared to the non-TiVo Motorola version?

#12 01-31-2008 10:08:57 AM

ghoofie
Charter Member
PM  Website

The thing I wonder about with Comcast TIVO is how much of the Motorola DVR's problems are hardware related and how much software, such that, even with  TIVO software,  will the DVR still do things like reset during the middle of a football  game, have the remote queue up commands problem, etc.

#13 01-31-2008 10:22:16 AM

Wareagle
Charter Member
PM

I've thought all along that most of the problems were buried deep within the Motorola firmware, primarily because of the fact that we also had them with the Microsoft guide s/w in Seattle.  So I share your concern.

#14 03-14-2008 1:28:24 PM

kennymedium
PM

Had Comcast/TiVo installed beginning of February and I'm already on my second box first one had a "fatal error." It is absolutely slow. But, I'm overlooking it for the moment. Do any of you know if Comcast/TiVo users can utilize the "online scheduling" functionality available to regular TiVo users through the TiVo website, via another route like logging into your TiVo from a computer on your home network?

#15 03-14-2008 3:27:20 PM

ghoofie
Charter Member
PM  Website

kennymedium wrote:

Had Comcast/TiVo installed beginning of February and I'm already on my second box first one had a "fatal error." It is absolutely slow. But, I'm overlooking it for the moment. Do any of you know if Comcast/TiVo users can utilize the "online scheduling" functionality available to regular TiVo users through the TiVo website, via another route like logging into your TiVo from a computer on your home network?

That may confirm Wareagle's thoughts above. The problems are in the firmware of  Comcast Moto Boxes,
not neccessarily the guide software.

#16 03-14-2008 4:22:42 PM

Wareagle
Charter Member
PM

Yeah, I've done too much serious realtime software work not to be able to recognize a crappy fundamental OS design.

As for the question about using the "real" TiVo functions, such as online scheduling -- no.

#17 03-14-2008 5:21:51 PM

ghoofie
Charter Member
PM  Website

Wareagle wrote:

Yeah, I've done too much serious realtime software work not to be able to recognize a crappy fundamental OS design.

As for the question about using the "real" TiVo functions, such as online scheduling -- no.

I was reading a  bit about slingbox which it said will work with the Comcast DVR. It even showed a screen shot of the software and had a picture (not that it means anything) of the dvr remote. I thought I read that you could  actually access your DVR box via the slingbox.

#18 03-16-2008 8:51:06 AM

Georgia Guy
Charter Member
PM

ghoofie wrote:

I was reading a  bit about slingbox which it said will work with the Comcast DVR. It even showed a screen shot of the software and had a picture (not that it means anything) of the dvr remote. I thought I read that you could  actually access your DVR box via the slingbox.

If Slingbox says it works with comcast Moto boxes, it probably does. It works great with my Tivo.  And yes, it does a perfect image of the Tivo remote alongside the video screen. (It also has hotkey buttons, allowing quicker control).  The remote controls all of the Tivo functions, just as if you are in the same room with it.  With my networked Tivos, I can access the Tivo I have hooked up to the Slingbox, then search thru all my other Tivos and transfer a show to watch from any of them. 

The playback quality depends a lot on the quality and speed of the internet connection at the hotel, or wherever, you happen to be watching from.  But I've never experienced enough problems to cause me to quit watching what I wanted.  Usually, its quite good. I've watched local college football, Atlanta local news, etc, from many places...Little Rock, Washington DC, Florida, etc.

If the Sling software imitates theComcast DVR, I see no reason why you couldn't program/watch the box remotely.

Board footer