DVR Chatter

Discussing the DCT-6412, Home Theater Devices, Entertainment, Celebrity and the Cable Industry. Not affiliated with any Cable Company, Hardware Manufacturer or Software Developer.

You are not logged in.

-->

#1 11-14-2007 2:14:36 PM

J-Mac
PM

Persistent Crash of 6412 Box

I wouldn't have thought that trying to schedule a series recording could crash a 6412 DVR, but it does it on all 3 of mine.

A few weeks ago I was trying to schedule a series recording of "Law and Order - Criminal Intent", the new version on USA Network.  From the Information screen I clicked on the record button, then Create a Series Recording, then New shows only, Keep 3 Episodes, and then Keep until Space Needed. (I think that's all the steps). Finally I clicked on "Schedule this Series Recording" or whatever it is to accept the schedule.  And then screen went dark, the from window of the 6412 went dark at the same time, then it started powering on - lights on and off a few times, the CN8 station here in Delaware County, PA is the "base" station that appears after a power cycle, etc. Of course then all the Guide data is lost and it slowly filters in over the next 30 minutes or so.

At the time I just figured that particular box was failing and that i would have to run it to a Comcast office and swap it out.  I didn't connect it to the series recording I was trying to schedule.  But about two weeks later I was sitting in the living room and noticed that the L&O-CI series recording I had there was created for the old show on NBC.  Forgetting about the previous attempt on a 6412 in a different room, I proceeded to go through the same steps as described above and  - Voila - the same thing occurred.  The box crashed.  I now realized that the last time it happened on the other DVR I was scheduling the exact same show.

So I just had to try it again on my third box upstairs, and of course the crash was replicated there.

As I mentioned earlier, I did not think that simply trying to schedule a series recording could cause a hard crash on a 6412 like that, but the fact that I can repeat it at will on three boxes convinces me that it certainly can!

Anyone else ever see anything similar?

Jim

J-Mac

#2 11-14-2007 4:28:01 PM

andyross
Charter Member
PM  Website

Re: Persistent Crash of 6412 Box

You wouldn't have an old series recording still set for when it was on NBC? The only other possible fix, which you may not like, is to try deleting all the series recordings, then recreating. There could be some corruption, although that seems unlikely for 3 different DVR's.

Sony KV-30XBR910, Sony STR-DB930, Sony DVP-NS55P, JVC HR-S3800U, Motorola DCT-6412, Sony KV-13FS100, OneForAll URC-8910.
Andy's UnEmpty Web Page
How to use a Motorola DVR

#3 11-16-2007 1:05:44 AM

J-Mac
PM

Thanks Andy, but no, there were no remnants left of any recordings from when it was on NBC. As a matter of fact I didn't record it back then, as my wife had a different program she had wanted to be recorded instead. at the old time frame.  But on FOX it is on at 10 PM so there were no conflicts.

I did clear all recordings from the bedroom DVR since we don't really record on that box often. I then tried it again on that box and it still crashed.

I do still have the original 6412's in the house, but I don't know if that makes a difference. Not certain which Phase they are - doesn't say it specifically anywhere that I can find.  I should probably return them for newer replacements. But I cannot get out and around easily, due to a disability, and Comcast doesn't want to swap them out for me unless I pay for the tech. Unless of course the boxes are not working properly.

Thanks again.

J-Mac

J-Mac

#4 11-16-2007 4:15:34 PM

andyross
Charter Member
PM  Website

If it has a DVI port on the back, it's a P1 or P2. P3's have HDMI and and RF out connection. You can also look at the pictures on the Wikibook (see link in my .sig below). The front looks the same, but the back is very different.

Sony KV-30XBR910, Sony STR-DB930, Sony DVP-NS55P, JVC HR-S3800U, Motorola DCT-6412, Sony KV-13FS100, OneForAll URC-8910.
Andy's UnEmpty Web Page
How to use a Motorola DVR

Board footer