DVR Chatter

Discussing the DCT-6412, Home Theater Devices, Entertainment, Celebrity and the Cable Industry. Not affiliated with any Cable Company, Hardware Manufacturer or Software Developer.

You are not logged in.

-->

#1 11-14-2007 11:19:49 AM

HDJoe
PM  Website

NEWS: DirecTV Adds 23 More HD Channels

Phillip Swann, TVPREDICTIONS - DirecTV [has] added 23 new High-Definition channels, including five more basic cable networks in high-def.

The new HD channels added [...] include: Spike HD (channel 325); Country Music Television HD (channel 327); MTV HD (channel 331); VH1 HD (channel 335); and Nickelodeon HD (channel 299).

Those five channels are simulcasts of their standard-def lineups.

In addition, DirecTV added five new high-def PPV channels and 13 new regional sports channels in HD. The regional sports additions are:

Comcast Sports Net New England
FSN South HD
SportsSouth HD
FSN Florida HD
FSN Ohio HD
FSN Cincinnati HD
FSN North HD
Altitude HD
FSN Rocky Mountain HD
FSN Arizona HD
FSN Northwest HD
FSN Bay Area

Between DirecTV and EchoStar, Comcast HD lineup is being left in the dust!

The other Joe

cool  My System: Comcast Motorola DCH-3416 HD-DVR (on a APC UPS), Samsung LN-T4065F LCD HD TV (on a APC voltage regulator), Sony DVD Recorder RDR-GX315, Yamaha HTR-5460 Home Theater unit, JBL satellites and sub

#2 11-14-2007 11:27:11 AM

Frank
DVR Chatter Honcho
PM  Website

Re: NEWS: DirecTV Adds 23 More HD Channels

I'd venture a guess that about 95% of the programming on each of those 5 HD channels is either pillared SD or stretched SD.

Plus, thus begins DirecTV's artificial inflation of their HD stats. 

Sorry DirecTV, but you added 5 HD channels today in most areas and 6 in areas that can receive one of the listed regional sports networks. 5 channels does not 23 channels make.

#3 11-14-2007 1:10:45 PM

HDJoe
PM  Website

Re: NEWS: DirecTV Adds 23 More HD Channels

I love it!!  You get'em Frank.  Actually we (the consumer) are seeing more of that stepped up SD programming labeled as HD.  Just look at TBS or TNT.  Hey Ted... we bought an HD set because we appreciate HD!  You ain't foolin' nobody!

I just wrote my local Comcast VP-GM to ask for HDNet and HDNet Movies.  Nothing back yet.  The head guy at HDNet personally responded to my e-mail.  My local Comcast guy should too.

I'm thinking of doing a side-by-side comparison of the HD channels offered by the two sat. providers against Comcast and ask how they (Comcast) plan to compete.

cool  My System: Comcast Motorola DCH-3416 HD-DVR (on a APC UPS), Samsung LN-T4065F LCD HD TV (on a APC voltage regulator), Sony DVD Recorder RDR-GX315, Yamaha HTR-5460 Home Theater unit, JBL satellites and sub

Board footer