DVR Chatter

Discussing the DCT-6412, Home Theater Devices, Entertainment, Celebrity and the Cable Industry. Not affiliated with any Cable Company, Hardware Manufacturer or Software Developer.

You are not logged in.

-->

#1 11-01-2007 11:48:57 PM

Frank
DVR Chatter Honcho
PM  Website

Verizon to Offer 5 Times More HD Channels

Verizon announced today that its FiOS TV service will offer 150 High Definition channels by the end of 2008.  FiOS currently serves 717,000 customers in 12 states.

In the spring of 2008, Verizon will begin expanding its HD lineup as well as the sports and multicultural program offerings on FiOS TV.  Verizon initially will double the current number of HD channels, on a market-by-market basis, to more than 60, including additional sports channels.  Verizon expects to have more than 150 HD channels by year-end 2008 as it continues to add to its HD lineup and programmers launch new channels. The company also will add standard-definition sports, multicultural and other programming during the year.

[...]

Verizon FiOS TV currently offers the following HD national channels: TNT HD, ESPN HD, ESPN2 HD, NFL Network HD, HD Net, HD Net Movies, Universal HD, Discovery HD Theater, Wealth TV HD, National Geographic Channel HD, MHD, Food Network HD, HGTV HD, Lifetime Movie Network HD and A&E HD.  It also offers local broadcast channels in high definition and HD premium channels, including HBO HD, Cinemax HD, Showtime HD, TMC HD and Starz HD.

#2 11-02-2007 11:25:45 AM

jganyard
PM

Re: Verizon to Offer 5 Times More HD Channels

So I wonder what if they are using the same kind of fuzzy math that the cablers and satelliters are?  I think by saying "including additional sports channels" means they are counting all the RSNs as if they were national (just like the dishies are).

Next year will be interesting... surprised you didn't have any commentary on that article Frank.  Did you fully ingest the FiOS kool-aid? tongue

#3 11-02-2007 11:39:51 AM

Frank
DVR Chatter Honcho
PM  Website

jganyard wrote:

So I wonder what if they are using the same kind of fuzzy math that the cablers and satelliters are?  I think by saying "including additional sports channels" means they are counting all the RSNs as if they were national (just like the dishies are).

Next year will be interesting... surprised you didn't have any commentary on that article Frank.  Did you fully ingest the FiOS kool-aid? tongue

No kool aid here.  It's actually more that I don't care one way or the other if they ever add another stretch-o-vision so-called HD channel just to keep up with DirecTV and Dish.  I'm happy with the lineup they have now.  Between the two DVRs and live TV, I can't recall ever not having something in HD to watch since switching in June. 

Once we finally get ala carte programming all these little crap channels that no one watches will go away anyway.

As far as the fuzzy math, that's not what they're *currently* doing.   They say they have about 30, and I have about 30.  It doesn't seem like that's what they'll be doing for next spring, either. They say that "on a market-to-market basis" they'll double it to 60 by then.  That sounds like they're counting "on a market-to-market basis" and not all markets combined to me.

As for the 150, that's anyone's guess.

I will say that, press release or not, FiOS is the best TV service I've ever had by a mile.  Their DVR is kind of quirky, but that's what Series3 TiVos are for.  Every time I drive around, I see many FiOS installation trucks, and they're not usually at houses with dishes on the roof.  I suspect I'll soon see Comcast installers panhandling with "Will Provide TV Service For Food" signs around their necks.

#4 11-02-2007 4:24:02 PM

jganyard
PM

Frank wrote:

No kool aid here.  It's actually more that I don't care one way or the other if they ever add another stretch-o-vision so-called HD channel just to keep up with DirecTV and Dish.  I'm happy with the lineup they have now.  Between the two DVRs and live TV, I can't recall ever not having something in HD to watch since switching in June.

You storage queen you...

Once we finally get ala carte programming all these little crap channels that no one watches will go away anyway.

Do I have to tell you again Frank?  It'll never happen.  Too much power in the media industry fighting it.

As far as the fuzzy math, that's not what they're *currently* doing.   They say they have about 30, and I have about 30.  It doesn't seem like that's what they'll be doing for next spring, either. They say that "on a market-to-market basis" they'll double it to 60 by then.  That sounds like they're counting "on a market-to-market basis" and not all markets combined to me.

That sure sounds like fuzzy math to me, is that grape flavored kool-aid?  hmm Do you really have almost 30 HD on provided by FiOS already?  Even counting stretch-o-vision channels, part-timers (NFL) and premiums I'm only at 24.

I will say that, press release or not, FiOS is the best TV service I've ever had by a mile.  Their DVR is kind of quirky, but that's what Series3 TiVos are for.

Same Motorola DVRs right?  Apples to apples there...

Every time I drive around, I see many FiOS installation trucks, and they're not usually at houses with dishes on the roof.

The bloom is still on the rose so-to-speak.  Give it time and I'm sure they'll fall into lockstep with mediocre products and high pricing like everyone else.  It's a fact of life.

#5 11-02-2007 5:03:12 PM

Frank
DVR Chatter Honcho
PM  Website

jganyard wrote:

That sure sounds like fuzzy math to me, is that grape flavored kool-aid?  hmm Do you really have almost 30 HD on provided by FiOS already?  Even counting stretch-o-vision channels, part-timers (NFL) and premiums I'm only at 24.

Maybe if you've been drinking counting to 30 is a fuzzy proposition.  I think we're at 26.  Some areas have a couple of extra locals or an additional regional sports channel.

I will say that, press release or not, FiOS is the best TV service I've ever had by a mile.  Their DVR is kind of quirky, but that's what Series3 TiVos are for.

Same Motorola DVRs right?  Apples to apples there...

Unless you guys got QIP DVRs while I wasn't looking it's not exactly the same.  And different software, different data provider.  But, you know, I guess it's silver and made by Motorola.  Must be an apple.

Every time I drive around, I see many FiOS installation trucks, and they're not usually at houses with dishes on the roof.

The bloom is still on the rose so-to-speak.  Give it time and I'm sure they'll fall into lockstep with mediocre products and high pricing like everyone else.  It's a fact of life.

Yeah - this announcement that they'll be offering 150 HD channels in each market in 13 months sure points that way. roll

5 months no Internet outage
5 months no TV outage
11 1/2 years no phone outage

Not everything has to suck.  Dealing with Comcast just makes it seem that way.

Board footer