DVR Chatter

Discussing the DCT-6412, Home Theater Devices, Entertainment, Celebrity and the Cable Industry. Not affiliated with any Cable Company, Hardware Manufacturer or Software Developer.

You are not logged in.

-->

#1 09-26-2007 2:12:07 PM

PM

2nd week of program guide data is never fully loaded

hello,

i have a DCT3416/2300 Phase I.  the 2nd week of program guide data doesn't fully load.  it appears and dissapears randomly throughout the day.  sometimes it seems like it's just about almost fully loaded, but then ten minutes later all of 2nd week reverts to "to be announced".

i read in the Motorola DVR Wikibook about this problem, so it apparantly has been documented by others, but there was no fix suggested for this bug.  Does anyone know if there's anything I can do?  I've called my cable company and they happily offered to exchange the DVR.  That doesn't really solve the problem.

thank you,

lenny g

#2 09-26-2007 3:03:35 PM

Wareagle
Charter Member
PM

Re: 2nd week of program guide data is never fully loaded

I think this is a "feature" of the iGuide s/w.  I see the same thing, and never had the problem with the Microsoft guide s/w.  It doesn't seem to affect recordings already set up.  I definitely wouldn't exchange the DVR, since it wouldn't accomplish anything.

#3 09-26-2007 4:36:34 PM

andyross
Charter Member
PM  Website

I've had this for nearly 2 years. About 2 months ago, it started working OK, but yesterday, the titles were mostly gone.

Before that, it worked for 2 weeks (the amount of guide data), didn't work for 2 weeks, then worked for 2 months or so.

Sony KV-30XBR910, Sony STR-DB930, Sony DVP-NS55P, JVC HR-S3800U, Motorola DCT-6412, Sony KV-13FS100, OneForAll URC-8910.
Andy's UnEmpty Web Page
How to use a Motorola DVR

#4 09-26-2007 4:40:55 PM

ghoofie
Charter Member
PM  Website

Same here.  It comes and goes.  It used to. Ever since they added more channels, hence more bandwidth I hear, the  guide can't seem to keep up.  Last night my guide and recordings menu went wacko.  They turned to green lettering on a peasoup green background. Barely able to make anything out. I had to power off/on and then it came back to normal.

#5 09-27-2007 12:02:44 AM

PM

would it be at all useful to do a "DVR Authorization and Factory Full Reset" to fix this problem?  the wikibook says that this reset is not guaranteed to work and that "it could disable your DVR or cable features, requiring a service call or replacement. It's even possible you could be fined if the DVR is damaged."  has anyone done this reset for this bug (or at all)?  did it fix anything? did anything bad happen to the DVR or cable service?

#6 09-27-2007 2:00:19 PM

Wareagle
Charter Member
PM

I grew accustomed to "pruning" the upcoming duplicate series recordings weekly under the MSFT system, and that worked quite well -- eliminating potential tuner conflicts as well as redundant recordings.  Now I cannot rely on the episodes I mark for exclusion remaining so -- they frequently reappear, marked as "to be recorded".

This is one of my major complaints about iGuide, and may be related to the random nature of the guide data.

#7 09-27-2007 4:14:15 PM

andyross
Charter Member
PM  Website

Resetting won't do a thing. The main issue appears to be limited memory and possibly some bugs causing it to cut the guide data to make room for something else. As far as I can tell, even the new DCH's still only have 128M of RAM.

The REAL fix would be to rewrite the software to store the data on the drive instead of hacking DVR features onto non-DVR software.

Sony KV-30XBR910, Sony STR-DB930, Sony DVP-NS55P, JVC HR-S3800U, Motorola DCT-6412, Sony KV-13FS100, OneForAll URC-8910.
Andy's UnEmpty Web Page
How to use a Motorola DVR

#8 09-27-2007 6:17:30 PM

ghoofie
Charter Member
PM  Website

I wish that the software would 'remember' that you recorded an episode (such as on USA).
If you have a series setup, it records the episode, you watch it later that evening. Then the same
episode replays the next day or even later that night (The 4400 , for example), and USA
doesn't tell the guide that it really isn't a new episode, so it gets recorded again.  I heard that TIVO doesn't have that problem.

Board footer