DVR Chatter

Discussing the DCT-6412, Home Theater Devices, Entertainment, Celebrity and the Cable Industry. Not affiliated with any Cable Company, Hardware Manufacturer or Software Developer.

You are not logged in.

-->

#1 07-24-2007 6:28:35 PM

ghoofie
Charter Member
PM  Website

Recording priorities

Just thinking how  this would work. You have series recording set up, and you
have some programs saved from a one time recording. Your drive fills up and it's
time to record a series program. You aren't home to see any options.  Will a one time
recording get deleted to record the series ?  You have options for he series programs
such as "save until I delete" or "save until space is needed".

Or what if you have no series programs defined, and you set up a bunch of programs
to record, one-timers, and your drive fills up.  Will it delete the oldest to record the new?
Or will it not record the new ?

We never come close to filling the drive so I haven't experienced any of this.

#2 07-25-2007 8:25:41 AM

jganyard
PM

Re: Recording priorities

Regardless of series or one-time the box looks at the Delete flag and determines if it's going to delete it or keep it.  It does go in chronological order from oldest to newest recordings.

#3 07-25-2007 9:49:02 AM

Frank
DVR Chatter Honcho
PM  Website

ghoofie wrote:

Or what if you have no series programs defined, and you set up a bunch of programs
to record, one-timers, and your drive fills up.  Will it delete the oldest to record the new?
Or will it not record the new ?

I think (have no way to check these days) that if your drive is filled with "Delete Manually Only" programs, it will just not record new programs until you free up space.

#4 03-07-2008 11:57:54 AM

denny
PM

I have the DCT-3412 running through my Home Theater system. When I am recording a program and push the All On/Off button to turn everything off, the DVR stays on after the program finishes recording. I would think it would automatically turn off when the recording is finished. I don't have this problem if I record something at times I'm not watching TV. any suggestions?

#5 03-07-2008 11:59:51 AM

Frank
DVR Chatter Honcho
PM  Website

The DVR should never be shut off anyway.  All it does is stop the outputs from outputting, it doesn't save any energy or serve any purpose, and it can cause a lot of problems.

http://www.dvrchatter.com/t8-Motorola-D … Guide.html

#6 03-07-2008 12:07:50 PM

denny
PM

Well it appears the light signaling that the DVR is 'ON' goes out after a recording at other times. I understand that the unit is still on though but why doesn't the same thing happen in this case?

#7 03-07-2008 12:28:29 PM

Frank
DVR Chatter Honcho
PM  Website

No one knows why things ever happen with these boxes.  The only thing we can do is work around the problems that bad programming and poor hardware present, and the #1 thing to do with any Motorola DVR box in order to decrease the number of problems you have is to ignore the power button - deprogram it from your "All On / Off" - and leave the box on at all times.

#8 03-07-2008 12:36:27 PM

denny
PM

OK. Thanks. One other question. I do not get Surround Sound even though a network may show the program is in 5.1. Well I take that back sometimes when I turn the DVR on my receiver will show Surround Sound but if I flip to another channel and come back to it, the audio is no longer in Surround Sound. Is this a problem with the DVR or my local Comcast provider.

#9 03-07-2008 12:51:08 PM

Frank
DVR Chatter Honcho
PM  Website

That's generally a DVR problem.  Again, turning the box on and off doesn't properly unload / load certain drivers and makes the box more prone to going out of whack on all sorts of levels. 

That being said, the short term resolution (it'll get things back to normal, but it's very likely to happen again afterwards) to this problem is the exception that proves the "Always Leave it On" rule.  If you turn the box off and on again when this happens, you'll get surround sound again.

Your best bet is to unplug the box for a few minutes, plug it in and let it reload everything, make sure it's on, and then never turn if off again.  It will make this problem much less likely to occur in the future.

Keep in mind that no one here is a Comcast employee (I'm not even a customer any more).  We only give advice based on what has worked for us in the past.

By the way...what does this have to do with the "Recording Priorities" issue that this thread is about?

#10 03-07-2008 1:06:09 PM

denny
PM

I know it didn't fall into this category Frank but I wanted to tap into your knowledge. Thanks for your help.

#11 03-07-2008 3:08:52 PM

Frank
DVR Chatter Honcho
PM  Website

In the future (and this is to all readers - not just you) it's best to start a new topic ("Post New Topic" at the top of the forum page) for a new issue rather than re-opening an unrelated 7-month old thread.  It'll help future visitors find the answers more easily.

Board footer