DVR Chatter

Discussing the DCT-6412, Home Theater Devices, Entertainment, Celebrity and the Cable Industry. Not affiliated with any Cable Company, Hardware Manufacturer or Software Developer.

You are not logged in.

-->

#1 07-24-2007 3:32:04 PM

Alietr
PM

Menu/Guide Functions During Dumping

I must be doing something wrong.  I know the menu and guide functions don't work with the Firewire connection, but when I have it hooked up to my computer through the analog video output (into my television card), I don't seem to be able to access the menu or guide.  I also tried it with the Firewire cable disconnected, so that can't be the issue.  The video comes through fine, but I can't get at the menu (which, of course, I need).  My usual connection is through DVI, so I don't normally access the box from the analog output.  Any thoughts?

#2 07-24-2007 5:13:54 PM

Frank
DVR Chatter Honcho
PM  Website

Re: Menu/Guide Functions During Dumping

It's been a while since I thought about this, but I do not think that menus come through via S-Video (which is how I'm assuming you have it connected to the TV Card) unless you set your output resolution in the PWR+Menu menu appropriately.  Someone will come through and correct me if I'm wrong.  Try one of the 480 outputs for your main resolution (not 4:3 override) and see what that does.

It may be that menus do not come through on the S-Video at all, but that doesn't sound right.

When I used to dump recordings onto a computer, I used to start playing the show on the DVR, pause, then switch over to the computer screen on the TV and start CAPDVHS recording, then start playing the recording on the DVR.  That way I didn't need to see what the DVR was doing because I was only hitting "play" and didn't need a menu for that.

#3 07-25-2007 4:17:07 PM

andyross
Charter Member
PM  Website

You will not see menus on the S-Video/composite/RF outputs if component/DVI/HDMI is outputting 480p or higher. In other words, graphics will not be downconverted.

Sony KV-30XBR910, Sony STR-DB930, Sony DVP-NS55P, JVC HR-S3800U, Motorola DCT-6412, Sony KV-13FS100, OneForAll URC-8910.
Andy's UnEmpty Web Page
How to use a Motorola DVR

#4 07-26-2007 3:00:44 PM

Alietr
PM

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that's right ... I have to make sure to put it into standard def before I unplug it from the TV set.  I think I'd forgotten that that was the case.  Of course, I can't do that until sometime over the weekend or the natives will get restless with it not being there.  Thanks.

Last edited by Alietr (07-26-2007 3:01:29 PM)

Board footer