DVR Chatter

Discussing the DCT-6412, Home Theater Devices, Entertainment, Celebrity and the Cable Industry. Not affiliated with any Cable Company, Hardware Manufacturer or Software Developer.

You are not logged in.

-->

#1 07-08-2007 8:18:33 AM

andyross
Charter Member
PM  Website

Verizon Copper Cutoff Traps Customers

When Henry Powderly II ordered Verizon Communications Inc.'s FiOS fiber-optic service, he knew he was about to be connected to the future of telecommunications. He also got unplugged from its past. Which meant that while Powderly was gaining features, he was losing some telecommunications options.

http://www.newsvine.com/_news/2007/07/0 … -customers

Sony KV-30XBR910, Sony STR-DB930, Sony DVP-NS55P, JVC HR-S3800U, Motorola DCT-6412, Sony KV-13FS100, OneForAll URC-8910.
Andy's UnEmpty Web Page
How to use a Motorola DVR

#2 07-08-2007 10:58:33 AM

Frank
DVR Chatter Honcho
PM  Website

Re: Verizon Copper Cutoff Traps Customers

I've seen this charge a number of times, and I always wonder what the big deal is. 

OK, I couldn't kill my 15/2 internet and get crappy 1Mbps/128K DSL if I wanted without a hassle, and I couldn't go back to crackling/popping 1930s technology copper telephone connections without a hassle, and I couldn't go back to worrying I was going to get a big fat shock in the ear when talking on a copper connected telephone during a thunderstorm without a hassle.  I'm heart broken.

By the way, "I" in the above paragraph is not me per se.  As far as I can tell, the copper run is still in tact at my location.  I wish I'd have asked my installer to disconnect it.  I still have that little silver "Bell Co" box on the side of my house with a wire running into it.

So the article is datelined "Philadelphia," (i.e. Comcast Central Headquarters) but they had to travel to Long Island NY to find a whiner to report on?

The bit about "Unlike copper-connected phone service, FiOS doesn't work during power outages once a backup battery goes out not even for emergency calls. Home-alarms and certain other devices work best with copper." is also bogus and misleading.  My home alarm system (which also "doesn't work during power outages once a backup battery goes out" by the way) works just fine with my Fiber Optic service.  I tested it on day one.  In fact, now that I think of it, back when I was investigating going with FiOS I asked about this, and the Verizon Sales rep suggested to me that I was free to have a separate copper-connected dial-out only line for my alarm system if my alarm company thought it was necessary.

I love this whole "power outage" argument, too.  You know what else doesn't work in a power outage?  My electrical system!  "Don't get Fiber Optic Service because it relies on your crappy electrical service?"  My cell phone stops working in a power outage after the battery goes dead, too. My heater, hot water heater and air conditioner don't even have a battery backup.  "Don't get an electrically fired heater - it stops working in a power outage. Stick with a coal burner." How about we get on the electric companies to make their system a little bit more stable?

If DSL and VoIP companies want to have a nationwide copper network, let them install one.  Cable, DSL, Voip, etc cannot compete in the marketplace, so they get crooked governmental agencies to place unreasonable requirements on Verizon and then plant these stories and BS like that "FiOS can only send one HD channel to your home at a time" rumor and class warfare anti Verizon BS in the media.

#3 07-09-2007 9:50:45 AM

jganyard
PM

Frank wrote:

Cable, DSL, Voip, etc cannot compete in the marketplace, so they get crooked governmental agencies to place unreasonable requirements on Verizon and then plant these stories and BS like that "FiOS can only send one HD channel to your home at a time" rumor and class warfare anti Verizon BS in the media.

Actually Verizon et al. (the bells) have gotten the preferrential treatment by many states overruling the local franshising authorities and not holding them to the same requirements as the Cable co's re: local franchise rules.

I believe the FiOS can only send one HD channel was caused by some confusion with IP based services like AT&T's uVerse that does have that restriction.

I agree with the rest of your rant ... though didn't you know that you won't get shocked if you're using a cordless phone?  Oh wait! That won't work in an outage either! LOL  It cracks be up how many people pound on that old "your phone won't work without power" argument to bash VOIP etc.  Do they not realize that many households don't even have a wired handset anymore and already have that problem when the power goes out?  I knew that was a problem, hence I have a wired handset for when the power goes out.  Oh and my VOIP modem now has a built-in battery and will soon also be connected to a UPS... I agree Frank, an idiotic article and it was obviously placed as a FiOS bashing piece.

#4 07-09-2007 12:29:14 PM

shj
PM

jganyard wrote:

It cracks be up how many people pound on that old "your phone won't work without power" argument to bash VOIP etc.

In October, 2005, hurricane Wilma hit the Miami area and my parents' house was without power for 5 days.  Their wired phone continue to work the entire time, and provided the only way we could communicate with them.  Cell phones worked only sporadically during the power outage, and not at all immediately after the storm.  My brothers and I would have been in an absolute panic about my 90-year-old parents for those 5 days were it not for the good old fashioned wired telephone.

I agree that the concern about "exotic" phones not working during power outages is mostly bogus.  But in this particular real-life case, it was legit.

#5 07-09-2007 12:44:20 PM

Frank
DVR Chatter Honcho
PM  Website

I think when we hit the 1 day without power mark, my FiOS ONT would be plugged into my gas powered generator along with a window air conditioner and the refrigerator. 

You have, however, hit on one of the top reasons why I went with Verizon - the reliability of their network cannot be beat.  It's better than the power grid here as well.

Board footer