DVR Chatter

Discussing the DCT-6412, Home Theater Devices, Entertainment, Celebrity and the Cable Industry. Not affiliated with any Cable Company, Hardware Manufacturer or Software Developer.

You are not logged in.

-->

#1 07-05-2007 7:21:36 PM

ChiTownKaye
PM

fiOS?

To be totally ignorant - what is fiOS?  I haven't been to Verizon since my Cell phone is U.S. Cellular.  You guys are so way over my head. 

My daughter has TIVO and I don't even know how that works in comparison to the Comcast DVR.  Sometimes I wonder if I should have just stayed with my Panasonic HDD/DVD Player.  Please enlighten me in layman language.  Thanks!  (I just went for the whole package as individually I was paying more for AT&T phones, extended basic cable, and still was on dial up computer - really just wanted the high speed internet - but decided to try the whole package).

I need really simple terms - I don't understand a lot of the language here and maybe it might help other lurkers as well.  Maybe a sticky would be welcomed to explain the terms or am I missing something somewhere?

I keep trying - thanks,
Kaye  smile

#2 07-05-2007 7:36:23 PM

Frank
DVR Chatter Honcho
PM  Website

Re: fiOS?

FiOS is Fiber Optic Service (TV and Internet) offered by Verizon.

http://fiosfaq.com/

#3 07-05-2007 8:01:34 PM

ChiTownKaye
PM

Sorry, I errored.  I should have put this under the fiOS thread - I thought I did, but I guess I didn't.  Maybe you could move it. 

I see lots of lurkers on this board, but not many posters.  I hope they don't feel threatened by lack of knowledge as I do.  No one likes to feel ignorant.  Just trying to learn a little from those more experienced than I and the link you provided didn't do it for me, as I am the one who asks such simple questions as 'What is the little red light for?'.  Very, VERY Basic.  Someone was kind enough to let me know.  Thanks!  Now I know. 

If this forum is only for technological wizards, let me know and I will log off.  Please respond so I know whether to go somewhere else or not. 

I appreciate your energy in starting this forum - I just may be in the wrong place.

Enjoy - 'Big Brother'! - it's on here now.
Kaye smile

#4 07-05-2007 9:52:27 PM

Frank
DVR Chatter Honcho
PM  Website

I moved it from the FiOS FAQ and External Link section because it is neither. I am seeing, in general (not just you) confusion regarding those types of areas of the site.  I am considering making them "read only"

I don't know what to tell you regarding your other question.  Google is an excellent resource for general knowledge and terminology.  In general, when I want to learn new things (which I do all the time - I love it) I start out with no knowledge whatsoever about the subject, then I READ about it, then I talk about it after I know a bit about it.  By "talk," in this instance, I mean write / discuss.  I would not go to a home improvement message board and ask "what's this screwdriver thingy I've been hearing about?"

I don't mean that to sound harsh.  It's not meant to be.  I love having each of you here.  I have created a plethora of areas to talk about just about anything anyone would want to talk about, and specific areas for specific interests. As those interests are of a technical nature, they tend to get technical.  It's the Internet.  You can Google any term imaginable and get thousands of links to all sorts of information about all sorts of terms.

You ask what you want to ask, read what you want to read, and write what you want to write.  That's why this site is here.

#5 07-05-2007 10:02:57 PM

ChiTownKaye
PM

Thanks for clarifying that.

Have a good weekend!
Kaye

#6 07-06-2007 9:28:02 AM

jganyard
PM

Frank... are you a Google and Wikipedia junkie? LOL I damn sure am...  I find myself learning something new every day.

#7 07-06-2007 9:38:36 AM

Frank
DVR Chatter Honcho
PM  Website

I sure am.  I have firefox search plug-ins for both.  It's funny to go back and look through the things I've actually searched for. Model numbers, words, people, error messages, spelling, programming tips, spelling errors, news, pictures of McPhee...

Wikipedia is great as long as you can mentally filter out the biases and are willing to independently verify things that are presented as cold hard facts.

Board footer