DVR Chatter

Discussing the DCT-6412, Home Theater Devices, Entertainment, Celebrity and the Cable Industry. Not affiliated with any Cable Company, Hardware Manufacturer or Software Developer.

You are not logged in.

-->

#1 07-04-2007 1:40:21 PM

BethB
PM

Comcast Motorola DVR

Yesterday I exchanged the regular Comcast Motorola box for the Motorola DVR box.  From the moment I plugged it in it has made a whirring noise.  I know what the noise is but want to know is it suppose to make this noise alost constantly.  It is really really annoying.  Is this typical.
Beth

#2 07-04-2007 1:44:54 PM

Frank
DVR Chatter Honcho
PM  Website

Re: Comcast Motorola DVR

The noise is the hard drive. The hard drive buffers the video so you can rewind it and pause it.  As you are buffering video almost constantly, the hard drive will be spinning almost constantly and whirring almost constantly.

If you tune both tuners to music choice channels, the hard drive will stop buffering because you cannot rewind these channels. This will stop the clicking noise, but the whirring will continue because the drive will not spin down.

In time you will not notice it.

#3 07-04-2007 1:48:04 PM

Wareagle
Charter Member
PM

Which model and series do you have?  The disks run constantly in normal use, and some have fans (although neither of those in mine is loud enough to hear from any reasonable distance).

Here's a good reference for the DVRs:  http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/How_to_use_a_Motorola_DVR

#4 07-04-2007 4:33:37 PM

shj
PM

I don't hear the whirring from my DVR unless I put my ear within a foot or two of the box, and even then it's pretty quiet.  I had several Motorola/Comcast DVRs before this one (they had to be replaced for other problems), and none of them made a significant amount of noise.

If your DVR is making enough noise to be annoying, you should ask Comcast to replace it.

#5 07-04-2007 6:04:19 PM

Frank
DVR Chatter Honcho
PM  Website

I remember when I got my first TiVo I sat there thinking, "What have I done? How am I going to live with all this noise." Fast forward 6 years...two TiVos and two Motorola DVRs later...and I never even her the noise generated by my QIP-6416 and Series3 TiVo.

When it's new, it takes some getting used to. You won't hear it in a week. Turn the TV up in the meantime.

#6 07-04-2007 6:06:14 PM

Frank
DVR Chatter Honcho
PM  Website

shj wrote:

If your DVR is making enough noise to be annoying, you should ask Comcast to replace it.

Don't they charge for that visit now?

#7 07-04-2007 6:11:57 PM

Wareagle
Charter Member
PM

Frank wrote:

shj wrote:

Don't they charge for that visit now?

I haven't seen the new list of charges, but I suppose you can always just carry it in and ask for another one.  I did that just to trade a 3412 for a 3416 (admittedly a better reason than noise -- which may or may not be less with the next one you get of the same model).

#8 07-05-2007 9:04:16 AM

jganyard
PM

Yea.. I've had DVRs for 6 years too and no longer hear them.  Yet that Xbox 360 screams whenever I turn it on... bad Microsoft, bad!

#9 07-07-2007 1:21:19 AM

CommTech
PM

You are charged for service calls ONLY if YOU are the cause for the service call (ie. installing your own splitters, lines, etc that cause a malfunction). Some of that "do it yourselfing" that causes chargeable service calls can be voided with that Service Protection Plan mentioned in another thread.

Comcast Cable Communications Technician - Fresno, CA system

Board footer