DVR Chatter

Discussing the DCT-6412, Home Theater Devices, Entertainment, Celebrity and the Cable Industry. Not affiliated with any Cable Company, Hardware Manufacturer or Software Developer.

You are not logged in.

-->

#1 06-18-2007 10:06:41 AM

Wareagle
Charter Member
PM

Microsoft spiffing up Internet TV software with Mediaroom

"Microsoft Corp. is releasing a new version of its Internet Protocol Television software Monday and giving the product a new name: Microsoft Mediaroom."

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/business/ … ttv18.html

I think this must be the guide s/w FiOS is using.  (We still haven't gotten the new iGuide to replace our Comcast Microsoft version in Seattle.)

#2 06-18-2007 10:31:06 AM

Frank
DVR Chatter Honcho
PM  Website

Re: Microsoft spiffing up Internet TV software with Mediaroom

The article appears to indicate that this is for "traditional" (i.e. copper) telephone lines, not fiber. It think you're right and the article is wrong.

FWIW, I have read that Microsoft did program the current guide software for FiOS, but that Verizon has "s canned" most of the MSFT programmers and totally rewritten the code in house for it's upcoming new version.

From what I can see in my first two weeks of use, the "Cable Box" functionality of the current guide software is rock solid, but the DVR functionality leaves a lot to be desired. It's like they just tacked on DVR stuff as an afterthought.

#3 06-18-2007 11:08:45 AM

Wareagle
Charter Member
PM

Re: Microsoft spiffing up Internet TV software with Mediaroom

Well, I think Microsoft themselves must've abandoned ours.  I'm on firmware 12.31 because when 12.35 came out it started causing everyone's box to reboot spontaneously.  It's been that way since last September, with no indication of a MSFT fix.  Any bugs that you don't have now were probably removed as a result of experiments on us.

Board footer