DVR Chatter

Discussing the DCT-6412, Home Theater Devices, Entertainment, Celebrity and the Cable Industry. Not affiliated with any Cable Company, Hardware Manufacturer or Software Developer.

You are not logged in.

-->

#1 05-11-2007 6:17:42 PM

ChiTownKaye
PM

thinking of going back to at&t??

Last night tried to make a call - message:  all circuits are busy- does this happen often?

Today - no telephone service for a few hours - had to call Comcast using the cell.

Today - not able to connect to the internet - while phone was out -  What's up - am I the only one?

Not smiling today!
Kaye

#2 05-11-2007 6:42:37 PM

ghoofie
Charter Member
PM  Website

Re: thinking of going back to at&t??

Not familiar with comcast phone.  It's not available in our town.  Sounds like major comcast outage.  I would see how things go for a bit.

So how has comcast phone been otherwise ?  And does Comcast phone get you to 911 the same a land line does ?  That's been my concern about going to internet/cable phone services. And it's a reason why we don't get ride of our land line completely. But I'm sure some day it won't matter.

#3 05-11-2007 7:27:13 PM

ChiTownKaye
PM

The origianal reason I went with Comcast is that they were offering a  3 way package deal.  (phone unlimited local and long distance, high speed internet, and the DVR service with all the channels ( we had only extended limited before).

If I itemized what I was paying before, it sounded like a good deal.

Before:  AT & T phone service was about $50 - $60 ( no long distance and limited local)
             Extended Cable was about $ 50 - $55
             AOl was about $25.00
             (monthly services)

The package for all three is $99.00 through Comcast.

I felt I was getting the high speed internet and the long distance and local calling for free at this rate.  I had cancelled my long distance and local calling years ago and just used the cell phone.

I hope I didn't make a mistake.

I wonder why that is not offered in the Bay area?  I think my son justs uses his cell phone for calls.  Internet is through his business - www.Yelp.com

Interested in your comments about your area.  Comcast told me that it is not unusual to have all circuits busy in the Chicagoland area. I wonder why???? hmm

O.K. - Smiles from Chicago again - at least I'm back online smile
Kaye

Last edited by ChiTownKaye (05-11-2007 7:33:21 PM)

#4 05-11-2007 7:45:51 PM

ChiTownKaye
PM

Ned,

I'm sorry I didn't answer your question - YES - you get the same 911 services & 411 services I did before I canceled AT & T long distance/local services ...so far!  I'll keep you updated on what happens.  Do go to my son's website www.yelp.com - but you have to scroll to the San Francisco Area - I think I sent you the Chicagoland area since that's what we use the most.

Happy Mother's Day to Your wife!
Kaye

#5 05-12-2007 5:53:17 AM

ChiTownKaye
PM

Oh and... always a good idea to keep a cell phone handy or a corded phone for a power outage.  All our phones are cordless - the cell always works to report any problems.

#6 05-12-2007 10:39:16 AM

andyross
Charter Member
PM  Website

$50 for basic AT&T phone service? yikes  I pay about $39 (local and local-toll, no LD), and that includes $20 for basic DSL (backup to my Comcast, as I work from home)  and all fees/taxes. I also have Vonage, mostly for work. The advertised $24.95 comes out to $32.22 after taxes/fees. I also have a T-Mobile cell phone (part of a family plan.)

Last edited by andyross (05-12-2007 10:40:01 AM)

Sony KV-30XBR910, Sony STR-DB930, Sony DVP-NS55P, JVC HR-S3800U, Motorola DCT-6412, Sony KV-13FS100, OneForAll URC-8910.
Andy's UnEmpty Web Page
How to use a Motorola DVR

#7 05-12-2007 11:19:11 AM

Georgia Guy
Charter Member
PM

At&T here, (formerly Bellsouth cable), does not offer HD programming.   I'll consider them if and when they do.

I had Bellsouth cable tv for years, but dumped them immediately when Comcast started delivering HD.

#8 05-12-2007 4:55:00 PM

ChiTownKaye
PM

Well, the figures I gave you were correct in my area. 

After I lost phone service again today and internet service again today.  I had to call again (did I say 'again' too many times?) using my cell phone plugged in due to loss of battery power.   Finally after 5 calls I got some attention.  A nice young man came out to the house and said there was a major phone outage which was probably the cause of my inability to access the web.  Anyway, all is well for now. 

I watched a PPV movie this morning and after I was done had no phone service.  Talk about frustrated?   big_smile

The hubby is outside washing his girlfriend - The Harley Davidson -his wife takes care of all the technical stuff and not very well, I might admit.  smile

Smiles finally again,
Kaye

#9 05-12-2007 5:07:04 PM

ChiTownKaye
PM

andyross wrote:

$50 for basic AT&T phone service? yikes  I pay about $39 (local and local-toll, no LD), and that includes $20 for basic DSL (backup to my Comcast, as I work from home)  and all fees/taxes. I also have Vonage, mostly for work. The advertised $24.95 comes out to $32.22 after taxes/fees. I also have a T-Mobile cell phone (part of a family plan.)

Andy,

Be happy you live in Schaumburg instead of Orland Park, IL. I always thought the N. Suburbs were more expensive the us Southern Suburbs!  I know my daughter in the Andersonville area of Chicago pays way more than us! 

See you at the 'Taste of Chicago'! YUM! YUM!  tongue
Kaye

Board footer