DVR Chatter

Discussing the DCT-6412, Home Theater Devices, Entertainment, Celebrity and the Cable Industry. Not affiliated with any Cable Company, Hardware Manufacturer or Software Developer.

You are not logged in.

-->

#1 04-24-2007 2:43:50 PM

ChiTownKaye
PM

little red button

Shouldn't that show up if I have the power on correctly - I think it is for messages?  I have a hard time each day getting the power on.  I don't even know whether to put all power on - or - separate buttons.  Obviously I wasn't given enough information upon installation.  Thanks anyone!  I was able to watch ' Dancing with the Stars' today thanks to help from this board (had company last night).  Where can I find simple information that wasn't given to me?

Thank you , Thank you, Thank you!!!!!!
Kaye

p.s. Can't decide who I want to stay on tonight - I know who I want to go though! - I like American Idol, too!

#2 04-24-2007 3:01:48 PM

ghoofie
Charter Member
PM  Website

Re: little red button

One thing to do is leave the power on all the time.  The box functions better. Anyway, even when you 'power off', the power really isn't off. The disk is still running, etc. It just shuts off the display panel mostly. The red light on the left is for messages. The red light on the right is when something is recording on the channel other than the one you are watching.

Thanks to Frank, this forum has lots of info.  Just have a look around and ask away !!  This is a very informative forum and very friendly, unlock some other forums I have looked at and people are snooty and get on your case for asking stupid questions.  Heck just ask the people around here..I ALWAYS have stupid questions.

And you are right...Comcast gives you very little help or information.

Last edited by ghoofie (04-24-2007 3:03:17 PM)

#3 04-24-2007 3:33:13 PM

ChiTownKaye
PM

You must be my best friend!!!!!   How do you turn on your TV on a daily basis?  I understand about leaving the DVR box on all the time.  But I would like to turn it off and turn it on the right way this time.  Which button do you use to turn the TV on and Off and still leave the box on? 

Thanks for helping one poor soul - I'm buying dinner next time we vistit my son who is in San Francisco!!!   HELP! & thanks!

#4 04-24-2007 3:40:04 PM

ghoofie
Charter Member
PM  Website

I guess it depends on what remote control you are using. The one that Comcast gives you has buttons on the top for tv or cable. Pressing the cable button first tells the remote to control the box. So the power button will turn the box on/off.  Pressing the TV  button will tell the remote to operate the TV. BUT...you have to program the remote to tell it what kind of TV you have. Not sure if that is what you are asking about.  I have a HARMONY remote, which you program to run all devices. I simply press a button that says "WATCH TV" and the TV powers on.

#5 04-24-2007 4:01:51 PM

ChiTownKaye
PM

Think I have the same remote as you - I wonder why the red dot for messages doesn't appear?  Feel free to message me at larrrykaysim@aol.com. Remember I'm buying dinner!!!!!!  Thank you for as much help as I've gotten so far!

Last edited by ChiTownKaye (04-24-2007 4:07:40 PM)

#6 04-24-2007 4:21:00 PM

Wareagle
Charter Member
PM

The red dot only comes on when you have new messages from Comcast.  I'm not sure what messages you're expecting it to respond to, but Comcast sometimes sends out messages to the boxes to inform users of unimportant things like pay-per-view wrestling.

#7 04-24-2007 4:35:48 PM

ChiTownKaye
PM

Yes,  I just called them and was advised that I need not worry about the red button - unless they have a message for me.  Don't know why it was on for the last few days.  You have been so helpful and I hope you understand my appreciation - and - I'm still buying dinner!!!!!!  smilesmilesmile

#8 04-24-2007 4:52:54 PM

ghoofie
Charter Member
PM  Website

ChiTownKaye wrote:

Yes,  I just called them and was advised that I need not worry about the red button - unless they have a message for me.  Don't know why it was on for the last few days.  You have been so helpful and I hope you understand my appreciation - and - I'm still buying dinner!!!!!!  smilesmilesmile

The messages are mostly advertisements for pay-per-view programs coming up, such as  boxing matches. They just call them messages instead of ads.

#9 04-24-2007 6:54:08 PM

ChiTownKaye
PM

ghoofie wrote:

ChiTownKaye wrote:

The messages are mostly advertisements for pay-per-view programs coming up, such as  boxing matches. They just call them messages instead of ads.

I think you are my new best friends!  Can you keep my e-mail if I need more help? 

I can't belive I got so much information in such a short period of time.  Lot's of nice people on this board!!! larrykaysim@aol.com

Thanks friends!
Kaye

#10 04-24-2007 7:04:47 PM

Frank
DVR Chatter Honcho
PM  Website

Welcome!

Actually, it's probably most helpful to others if you post any question you have in the forum (as opposed to emailing).  That way, other folks who have the same question will be able to benefit.  Most people come here as guests and never post, even if they don't see an answer to their question. The more questions and answers here, the better.

#11 04-24-2007 8:10:49 PM

CommTech
PM

Yeah, messages are used for advertising for upcoming PPV events, free premium channel promos, as well as channel lineup changes.  The message light will stay on as long as you have a message, whether it is new or not. once you delete the message, the red light goes off.

Comcast Cable Communications Technician - Fresno, CA system

#12 04-24-2007 9:15:05 PM

ghoofie
Charter Member
PM  Website

ChiTownKaye wrote:

p.s. Can't decide who I want to stay on tonight - I know who I want to go though! - I like American Idol, too!

Oh Come on Kaye...you're amongst friends.  Who do you want to  go ?
The next I want to go is any of the guys.  smile

#13 04-25-2007 1:51:12 AM

ChiTownKaye
PM

ghoofie wrote:

ChiTownKaye wrote:

Oh Come on Kaye...you're amongst friends.  Who do you want to  go ?
The next I want to go is any of the guys.  smile

O.K. - Just among friends then.... the one I wanted to go did - nothing personal against her - just tired of seeing her show off her leg!  I hated to see John in the bottom two as I think he has a lot of 'class'.  Am I showing my age?  YES!

#14 04-25-2007 2:38:16 AM

ChiTownKaye
PM

ghoofie-----

VERY NICE WEBSITE - GOOD LOOKING BAND!

Would love to hear you live - ever come to Chicago?

Kaye smile

#15 05-02-2007 1:29:06 PM

ChiTownKaye
PM

So - if the little red button is on today - that must mean there is a message - so what do I do to get the message?

#16 05-02-2007 1:35:06 PM

ghoofie
Charter Member
PM  Website

ChiTownKaye wrote:

So - if the little red button is on today - that must mean there is a message - so what do I do to get the message?

Go to the main menu.  There is a box that says "Messages".
I'll bet it's an advertise for a boxing match or other PPV.

#17 05-02-2007 1:47:25 PM

ChiTownKaye
PM

So - when I hit the 'menu' button - it says 'quick menu' - no box there to pick up messages.  On the diagram they gave me of the remote - that's the only place that says menu.  - I'm really starting to feel stupid - even after teaching school for all those years!

#18 05-02-2007 1:48:24 PM

Frank
DVR Chatter Honcho
PM  Website

You have to do menu and then main menu and then messages.

#19 05-02-2007 1:50:45 PM

ChiTownKaye
PM

Thank You - guys!  I found it!

#20 05-02-2007 2:55:30 PM

ghoofie
Charter Member
PM  Website

Frank wrote:

You have to do menu and then main menu and then messages.

Yeah..what he said.

#21 01-16-2008 7:43:43 PM

hlf
PM

Comcast changed my DVR to a DCH 3416 today.  Above you were discussing the red button on the right.  On my old unit when I was recording and swapped to another channel the red light was on to show that the other channel was recording.  This one has no indication that a recording is taking place unless you go to my recordings and check.  Does anyone know it there is anything I can do.

#22 01-16-2008 8:33:03 PM

Wareagle
Charter Member
PM

Others have complained of this "feature" of the DCH3416.  Perhaps it will be fixed with a later release of firmware or software.

Board footer