DVR Chatter

Discussing the DCT-6412, Home Theater Devices, Entertainment, Celebrity and the Cable Industry. Not affiliated with any Cable Company, Hardware Manufacturer or Software Developer.

You are not logged in.

-->

#1 03-19-2007 6:42:24 PM

Majorskypilot
PM

What channels will "pass thru" after HD rule changes.

-newbie to forum, HD, dvr etc. etc etc...-

I am trying to find out what cable channels (and HD channels) will be available thru comcast without a digital cable box.
I have mutiple tv's with only 2 using digital cable box's(heck what i've got is TOO expensive).
Currently searching for a DVR/burner when I ran across a reference to "pass thru" HD? programing on cable required? by the FCC.
Does this mean NBCHD etc. will be carried by comcast without a digital box required?
Will something like the following allow my receiving & recording some HD programing without a digital cable box;
Toshiba D-R550

DVD Recorder with Built-In Tuner

The DR550 makes DVD recording easy, with compatiblity with DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD+R and DVD+RW discs. And with video upconversion to 1080p via its HDMI output, the DR550 takes your existing DVDs to a new level, complementing today's best high definition TVs. It even has built-in ATSC, NTSC and QAM digital/analog tuners.

Will these new tuners decode some of comcast's digital offerings or only "over the air" broadcasts.

ahhhh this helps: http://tv.about.com/od/learningcenter/a/plugandplay.htm

Any info greatly appreciated;

Thanks smile   Mike

Last edited by Majorskypilot (03-19-2007 7:16:45 PM)

#2 03-19-2007 7:19:38 PM

Frank
DVR Chatter Honcho
PM  Website

Re: What channels will "pass thru" after HD rule changes.

Based on my understanding, Comcast is required to pass through "in the clear" all local broadcast stations that it carries via basic cable to all subscribers.  This include HD versions of the channels.

If your DVD Burner has a built-in **QAM** Tuner AND can down-convert the HD stream, then yes it will record.  It looks like the one you are referencing can do that.  It doesn't say specifically that it will record downconverted HD, but I can't think of another reason they would have an ATSC (the over the air HD signal) tuner in there.

You will also get the digital (SD) simulcasts of local channels that comcast creates and sends to digital cable boxes via the built-in QAM tuner that you describe.  I get a smattering of basic cable channels in digital too, as well as a window into what my neighbors are watching OnDemand through my QAM tuner.  The additional stuff (anything beyond over the air) varies greatly from location to location.

#3 03-23-2007 12:23:19 AM

CommTech
PM

Just to give a heads up as well, they are telling us that by 2008-2010 area, ALL TVs will require a Comcast box to view.  The only channels that will be viewable will obviously be the above mentioned local broadcasts, and providing you have an HD-READY (HD-Tuner) TV/Reciever, you will be able to receive the HD local broadcasting. Keep in mind, I'm not sure exactly how much of the broadcasting will be available WITHOUT a cable box, but be prepaired.  I will try to pass along details as I the process moves along.

As per your Toshiba device, I did find this in the small print:

*External tuner source required to record television programming. This product is not made or sold for unauthorized use of copyrighted works, and it is only intended for recording and playback of authorized content and any other lawful use

Comcast Cable Communications Technician - Fresno, CA system

#4 03-23-2007 12:58:28 AM

Frank
DVR Chatter Honcho
PM  Website

The new rules only apply to "Over the Air" broadcast so, theoretically, Comcast could collect these digital over the air signals and transmit them over Analog cable, saving customers with cable-ready TVs the expense of a converter box.

#5 03-23-2007 1:02:04 AM

Frank
DVR Chatter Honcho
PM  Website

CommTech wrote:

As per your Toshiba device, I did find this in the small print:

*External tuner source required to record television programming. This product is not made or sold for unauthorized use of copyrighted works, and it is only intended for recording and playback of authorized content and any other lawful use

Well, now that's weird.  He originally said it has internal tuners, but this says it doesn't.  Unless it's just CYA talk.

Majorskypilot - you didn't happen to buy this and have a chance to mess with it yet, did you?  Be interested to see which (the promotional material or the fine print) is accurate.

Board footer