DVR Chatter

Discussing the DCT-6412, Home Theater Devices, Entertainment, Celebrity and the Cable Industry. Not affiliated with any Cable Company, Hardware Manufacturer or Software Developer.

You are not logged in.

-->

#1 02-15-2007 8:52:23 PM

buckrogers71
PM

Optical cable output, what to do with it Moto 3412?

I have a cable but I really have no idea what the port on the box is for. Is it worth hooking it up to whatever?

Currently I have a Panasonic HDTV and run a HDMI between the box and tv.
The stereo is hooked up to the tv for surround sound.

Can anyone shed some light as to what this port is for and if I run an Optical cable out of it, where it goes?

Thanks in advance.

#2 02-15-2007 9:47:22 PM

Frank
DVR Chatter Honcho
PM  Website

Re: Optical cable output, what to do with it Moto 3412?

#3 02-16-2007 8:22:42 AM

buckrogers71
PM

Thanks.

Would the sound quality be better from that or should I just go through my TV?
I have an optical for my DVD player to my receiver, and one for my tv to my receiver, I would have to buy another cable from the cable box.

However, if I would not see a marked improvement in sound quality from the box to receiver, then I wont explore that option.

Thanks again for your time guys

#4 02-17-2007 7:09:09 AM

alesch1
Charter Member
PM

buckrogers71 wrote:

Thanks.

I have an optical for my DVD player to my receiver, and one for my tv to my receiver, I would have to buy another cable from the cable box.

However, if I would not see a marked improvement in sound quality from the box to receiver, then I wont explore that option.

If your TV passes Dolby digital to your audio receiver then you won't hear any difference.

#5 02-17-2007 9:29:58 AM

Frank
DVR Chatter Honcho
PM  Website

alesch1 wrote:

buckrogers71 wrote:

Thanks.

If your TV passes Dolby digital to your audio receiver then you won't hear any difference.

Technically, the fewer devices a signal passes through the better quality that signal would be.  And also, in a technical sense, sending digital sound directly from the cable box to your receiver will provide better quality than sending (presumably) analog sound from your cable box to your TV and then analog sound from your TV to your receiver.

In practice, though, no one knows whether you will notice the difference in quality.  It's a matter of your expectations and of your tolerance levels and attention to details in sound.

#6 02-17-2007 10:06:58 AM

Bobby
Charter Member
PM

I would, and in fact I did, simply go from the box directly to the receiver.  I just don't believe that your TV is passing on a digital audio signal to your receiver.

Board footer