DVR Chatter

Discussing the DCT-6412, Home Theater Devices, Entertainment, Celebrity and the Cable Industry. Not affiliated with any Cable Company, Hardware Manufacturer or Software Developer.

You are not logged in.

-->

#1 01-04-2007 9:29:28 AM

shadez
PM

Having Difficulty dumping with 3412

I am having difficulty dumping my previously recorded shows from my 3412 to my PC.  I understand that the 3412 is supposed to my similar or a replacement to the 6412, but I can't seem to get the sourceforge guide to work for me.

I have a 6 pin to 6 pin firewire cable

I have the moto 6412 driver installed

I am trying to use CAPDVHS and when I connect my DVR it is able to be recognized but when I try to record shows with program nothing comes up. 

My objective is the transfer the previously recorded shows from my DVR to my PC, do simple video editing to remove the commecials, then burn to DVD for personal use.  My question is, is it possible to select specific shows to be transfered over or specific time frames, I don't know maybe I am just dreaming of this function being available.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Jay cool

#2 01-04-2007 10:00:20 AM

Frank
DVR Chatter Honcho
PM  Website

Re: Having Difficulty dumping with 3412

That timer function is not available

From the description, it sounds like you're trying to dump Copy Protected material (basically, anything other than Network programs) to the PC. As the PC is not 5C compliant, this is not possible.

If this is not the case, please provide more detail (specifically what "nothing comes up" means: Does it appear to be recording but there's nothing in the file, or does it not even start to recognize the device) and I'm sure we'll try to help.

#3 01-04-2007 10:07:21 AM

shadez
PM

Thanks for the response Frank,   I admit that I might be a little ignorant to what might be copy protected and what isn't, I have read the FAQ's on 5C and all that so I know how to check if a channel is or isn't, but for example, my wife and I recorded the Animal Planet Memorial service for Steve Irwin back in September, and I would like to get that on my PC so I can burn in on DVD.  When I try to record it with CAPDVHS, a) there is no way to select that show to record, be when I press record the output comes up like you said nothing in the file or a 0k .ts file.

#4 01-04-2007 10:19:07 AM

shadez
PM

you know what I think I just solved my own problem here, I hope anyway, I re-read some posts in the Archiving recordings from DCT-6412 topic and, being somewhat clueless again I didn't realize that part of the process was to keep the DVR connected to the TV so you can select which programs, I had been disconnecting the DVR and just connecting it through the firewire to my PC.  I will try taking my PC from the office to the living room and connecting the firewire to the DVR and see if that makes any changes.  If you have any other suggestions feel free.  Thanks for creating such a useful website.

#5 01-04-2007 10:52:14 AM

Frank
DVR Chatter Honcho
PM  Website

Yeah, you've gotta start recording, then start playing back the show on your DVR.  The CapDVHS does not control the DVR.

#6 01-04-2007 12:22:42 PM

shadez
PM

ok new issue, I have the DVR connected to the PC I got a 20 segment of ESPN sportcenter that I previously recorded converted to TS with CAPDVHS, then I converted that to MPEG2 using HDTVtoMPEG2 but when I play the video file with Windows MP it says that it's only 3 mins long and I just get a black screen.

Thanks in advance for the help

#7 01-04-2007 12:27:13 PM

Frank
DVR Chatter Honcho
PM  Website

Sounds like you're not choosing the right PIDs

HDTVtoMPEG2 Kinda sucks.  Use HDTV2DVD or ProjectX.  If the file is a little bit hosed, you'll have problems so check it in MPEG2Repair first.

#8 01-04-2007 1:08:38 PM

Frank
DVR Chatter Honcho
PM  Website

Just thought of this:
It's likely, as I stated before, ESPN-HD is not broadcast in the clear.  That's why I stated above that you'll basically only be able to do this with Network shows.  Around here anyway, only the digital SD simulcasts of the local channels, the HD versions of the local channels, TWC and some selected misc. channels are broadcast CLR.  The rest are broadcast ENCR, and you won't be able to transfer them to the PC.

#9 01-04-2007 1:24:18 PM

shadez
PM

Frank wrote:

Just thought of this:
It's likely, as I stated before, ESPN-HD is not broadcast in the clear.  That's why I stated above that you'll basically only be able to do this with Network shows.  Around here anyway, only the digital SD simulcasts of the local channels, the HD versions of the local channels, TWC and some selected misc. channels are broadcast CLR.  The rest are broadcast ENCR, and you won't be able to transfer them to the PC.

it wasn't recorded in HD, because I don't have an HDTV.  I check the 5c on ESPN SD and it is clear or 5c=0

#10 01-04-2007 1:52:49 PM

Frank
DVR Chatter Honcho
PM  Website

The 5C only 1/2 the story.

Again, the only *digital* channels (Both SD and HD - everything through the 3412 is a digital signal. It does not have analog capability at all) that are broadcast CLR here are SD simulcasts of the local channels, the HD versions of the local channels, TWC and some selected misc. channels.  EVERYTHING else is ENC.  This information is found on d06 of the Diagnostic Menu.  The "Current Channel Status" will show Type: Digital CLR or Type: Digital ENC.  You cannot transfer encrypted channels.

#11 01-04-2007 2:02:55 PM

shadez
PM

ok your right, bummer, well it looks like I am going to have to save up for either a DVD recorder or something else that will help me.  Thanks for the info though

#12 01-04-2007 3:06:16 PM

Wareagle
Charter Member
PM

shadez wrote:

...it wasn't recorded in HD, because I don't have an HDTV...

Just as a side note, the 3412 doesn't care what kind of TV you have, and will record the HD signals as it receives them.  If you can subsequently transmit the programs to a PC, you may be able to watch a better picture than you see on your TV.  You should have access to some HD channels just by virtue of having the DVR, since the HD cost is built into the DVR rental fee.

Board footer