DVR Chatter

Discussing the DCT-6412, Home Theater Devices, Entertainment, Celebrity and the Cable Industry. Not affiliated with any Cable Company, Hardware Manufacturer or Software Developer.

You are not logged in.

-->

#1 12-09-2006 8:36:24 AM

ghoofie
Charter Member
PM  Website

Set DVR from Internet

I'm sure there is an additional cost ..but Tivo was advertising
you can set the recorder from the internet.  That would be
a nice feature for the comcast DVR.   Imagine:  You're setting
at your desk at work, unknown to your boss (right), you are
surfing the net and you are looking at Titan.com or such ,
and find a TV show is on this afternoon that you would like
to record. So you go on over to comcast.com, logon to your
account, set up a recording time and it downloads to your
DVR.   Not something I would wanna pay for though. And there
would surely be a Comcastic charge for that.

By the way....the Comcast trucks are still driving around my
neighborhood with big On Demand adds and cable telephone,
none of which are available in my neighborhood.

I won't mention the numerous TV ads for On Demand...which I
am fortunately able to  FF through.

#2 12-09-2006 11:36:15 AM

Georgia Guy
Charter Member
PM

Re: Set DVR from Internet

Tivo has had that for several years.  There is no cost, its included for free.   I've used it a number of times. 
On my Yahoo homepage, I can scroll down to the tv listings, select a show, then tell any one of my tivos to record it. I can even tell it to override other preset shows, or tell it to not record if it interferes with something else.   

Since I'm usually working at home, it has limited use for me, but I could see how someone who works in an office could really benefit from that capability.

Another thing that Tivo does (at least on the series 2 machines) is to transfer shows over your home network to your laptop, then you can watch them while out of town.

#3 02-25-2007 11:57:21 PM

cubanomx
PM

ghoofie wrote:

I'm sure there is an additional cost ..but Tivo was advertising
you can set the recorder from the internet.  That would be
a nice feature for the comcast DVR.   Imagine:  You're setting
at your desk at work, unknown to your boss (right), you are
surfing the net and you are looking at Titan.com or such ,
and find a TV show is on this afternoon that you would like
to record. So you go on over to comcast.com, logon to your
account, set up a recording time and it downloads to your
DVR.   Not something I would wanna pay for though. And there
would surely be a Comcastic charge for that.

By the way....the Comcast trucks are still driving around my
neighborhood with big On Demand adds and cable telephone,
none of which are available in my neighborhood.

I won't mention the numerous TV ads for On Demand...which I
am fortunately able to  FF through.

actually you can do that using a 3rd party small box. you can no only record remotely but you can SEE the realtime video from your motorola trought the internet!. the box cost 200 usd.

#4 02-26-2007 12:36:36 PM

Georgia Guy
Charter Member
PM

You're talking about Slingbox?

#5 03-22-2007 7:29:28 PM

CommTech
PM

Hi guys. I just stumbled across your community here and like the setup. I am a technician with Comcast in California. As for being able to remotely program your DVR, I can give you a hint to something on the horizon in the next 1-3 years (so they tell us).  In my area, we are just beginning release of CDV (Comcast Digital Voice) which is obviously our digital home phone service. Our next step will be cell phone service.  This is where you will get your remote activitiy. You will have the capability to use your cell phone to access your TV Guides as well as your DVR itself, and you can then program your DVR remotely.  The ETA on this service for California is still sketchy; other markets in the US may already have this service available.

Also, I used to work in the department that reprograms and services ALL Comcast boxes (with exception to DCT700 and 3412 as my system is not an All-Digital system yet), so I may be able to help in areas of troubleshooting for DVRs, HDs, and Basic boxes.  I would more than happy to answer questions to best of my ability.

Comcast Cable Communications Technician - Fresno, CA system

#6 03-22-2007 8:02:42 PM

Wareagle
Charter Member
PM

How about some insight into why the sort of bugs (like sluggish response to remote commands) that any reputable software engineer would be ashamed of continue to plague us after all these months/years?  To paraphrase Kurt Vonnegut, I could carve a better real time OS out of a banana.

#7 03-22-2007 9:24:48 PM

CommTech
PM

Having worked with the boxes myself and seen numerous issues you (the public) would never come across, I completely understand your complaint. The sluggish respond to remote control commands varies from box to box. The boxes are much like your average PC: every now and then they "brain fart" and may take a few seconds to gather itself and if you happen to be issuing a command at that given time, it will respond slowly. Much like when your computer is at the desktop and for now reason it randomly starts HDD activity and you wait a minute or so before it will really go anywhere. We have had issues that are Motorola specific, and an answer to this would simply be: we operate a Motorola DAC/Headend which is our sole control center for cable broadcasts, Internet, customer accounts, etc. etc. To change this technology to that of a different base would cost way more than it would costs to simply R/R defective equipment. 

As for other bugs, I don't have definite answers other than they are "mostly" Motorola-related. There was a firmware upgrade to ALL Moto boxes about 4-5 months ago that absolutely screwed us up in our processing center.  You may have noticed your main menu change, as well as guide setups change.  The firmware "update" also caused major issues specifically with the DVI/HDMI ports on all DCT5100/6200/6412P1/P2/P3 in the fact that the brand of your HDTV is now a factor in the functionality of these ports. To give an example: i have a Samsung DLP HDTV and was using the HDMI on a 6412P3. After the firmware "update", anytime I turned my TV on I would have a blank or green screen showing until I power-cycled my box.  I began to ask around and other people who had brands such as JVC and Sony had no problems at all.  The 5100 and 6200 HD boxes seemed to be affected the most with their DVI ports.  This problem may be more of a Samsung issue as i have heard since then that they tend to be last in line when it comes to engineering communication on firmware updates on any equipment hooked up to their TVs, but I have heard other brands of TVs have similar issues.

The simplest and honest answer i can give to ANY bug issues would be that we simply live in the age of advanced technology that revolves around electronics.  ANY computer-savvy person will tell you that no computer is perfect, no bit of electronics is flawless; technology will always have its pros and cons.  For some, these problems are job security.

I hope that was somewhat of a logical answer. Not being an engineer or programmer, I am short of a technical answer you might have hoped for.

#8 03-22-2007 9:26:27 PM

Frank
DVR Chatter Honcho
PM  Website

Commtech: Thank you for your offer of assistance and for looking in on us once in a while. I'm sure we'd all appreciate any contribution you'd care to make to our little community here.

Also, please forgive any occasional hostility you may encounter and understand it's directed at "the system" and not at you personally.  We've all pretty much been dealing with the same problems for the past couple of years now.

Any insight you can provide will be much appreciated.

#9 03-23-2007 12:12:55 AM

CommTech
PM

I am actually just starting my journey into the installations world right now (I have been with the company over 1 year working on the boxes themselves), but I do understand that at times, people may get frustrated with "the system" just as i would with any other product.  I will try to be of as much help as I can be. Please remember my knowledge at the moment is currently limited to California, more specifically the Central Valley market (or South Valley to be exact: Fresno, Visalia, Los Banos, Merced) but I am working on expanding my ventures to nationwide.  I say this because each Comcast system is different from the next.

#10 05-15-2007 1:35:48 AM

J-Mac
PM

CommTech,

Hi there.  That new firmware just hit the boxes here in Delaware County, PA about three or four weeks ago, and I think I see what you mean. While the addition of the "Swap" feature to the message that pops up when you have two programs set to record at the same time is a nice change.  But I am seeing some oddities also. For example, whenever I am browsing through the On Demand Guide, about one quarter of the movies go to a black screen when I click on them to read the capsule info. I have found that if I use the "Last" button I can get back to the guide.

Frank, I saw in another post where you mentioned that your 6412 was starting to give you some trouble. Could it be the firmware issues that CommTech mentioned?

Is anyone else seeing the blackout when trying to view some OD movie capsules?

J-Mac

Board footer