DVR Chatter

Discussing the DCT-6412, Home Theater Devices, Entertainment, Celebrity and the Cable Industry. Not affiliated with any Cable Company, Hardware Manufacturer or Software Developer.

You are not logged in.

-->

#1 11-27-2006 2:14:54 PM

Frank
DVR Chatter Honcho
PM  Website

Changing Hosts

As many of you may have noticed, the site has been hit with outages for the better part of the last week.  As a result of this, I am changing hosts for the site.  A couple hours here and there I can understand.  A week long nightmare is unacceptable.

Expect a bumpy ride for a few days.  Also, posts made between the time when I make the final database backup on the old host and the time when the new host is fully up and running may be lost.  The same may be true for users who register during that time.

Thanks for your patience and continued support.

#2 11-27-2006 5:34:36 PM

Frank
DVR Chatter Honcho
PM  Website

Re: Changing Hosts

By the way, if the time on the above post is 3:14 ET, you're on the new host.  New posts will stay and so will new users.

#3 11-29-2006 1:19:53 AM

Frank
DVR Chatter Honcho
PM  Website

It seems we're all over on the new host now (I haven't seen any traffic to speak of at the old host) so post / register away. Hopefully, there won't be the downtime problems over here that we saw over there.

Seems a little faster, too.  Unless I'm just looking for reasons not to feel bad about the extra dough.

#4 11-29-2006 12:22:43 PM

RobertAlder
PM

Wow, I'm impressed.  A totally transparent switchover.  I started a club Bulletin Board about six years ago using EzBoard.  They too have a lot of downtime and slow response issues.  However, that would require changing programs and hosting and I'm too lazy to do anything about it.

Thanks, Frank, for the work you do here.  I'm surprised you even have any time to watch any TV.

Last edited by RobertAlder (11-29-2006 12:23:22 PM)

#5 11-29-2006 12:49:25 PM

Frank
DVR Chatter Honcho
PM  Website

Thanks for your kind words.  Believe me, no one was more surprised than me when everything made it from server to server in tact.  I was petrified when I realized that the old place was not getting any better and I'd have to make a switch.

At times running this site is mentally trying and a fair amount of work, but for the most part I find it pretty rewarding.  I hope other people find it useful and entertaining.  I like that I have a place to sort of vent and express myself as related to my interests.  I would like to see everyone get in on it and post about the stuff that interests them either in the appropriate area or (if it's off topic) in the Free Speech Zone.

#6 11-29-2006 3:42:52 PM

ghoofie
Charter Member
PM  Website

Frank wrote:

At times running this site is mentally trying and a fair amount of work, but for the most part I find it pretty rewarding.  I hope other people find it useful and entertaining.

As one of the other people, may I say  thank you Frank !!
This is one of my favorite forums and it is INDEED useful AND
ENTERTAINING for sure !!  I check it several times a day.

Last edited by ghoofie (11-29-2006 3:44:05 PM)

#7 12-02-2006 11:43:39 AM

RobertAlder
PM

Frank wrote:

I would like to see everyone get in on it and post about the stuff that interests them either in the appropriate area or (if it's off topic) in the Free Speech Zone.

OK, you asked for it.
My primary passion  is vintage racing and all forms of open wheel racing (and hence my love of TIVO to  be able to SELECTIVELY, i.e. no NASCAR) record. 

My website is www.TeamTerrificRacing.com.

The Bulletin Board which I started for our club was started in 1999 and just recently passed 1,000,000 visits. Astounding. It is located at
http://p090.ezboard.com/brmvr

Last edited by RobertAlder (12-02-2006 11:44:57 AM)

#8 12-02-2006 11:51:54 AM

Frank
DVR Chatter Honcho
PM  Website

If you want to start a "NASCAR Sucks" or "I Love Vintage Racing" thread in the Free Speech Zone forum, be my guest.  Who knows what will spark the interest of your fellow chatters?  You may be surprised.

Seriously, everyone, that's what the Free Speech Zone is there for.  Use it.  One of the benefits of the new host is a ton more space.

#9 12-02-2006 12:12:37 PM

RobertAlder
PM

I didn't say NASCAR sucks.  But I do have a T-Shirt that says, "Too dumb for opera, too smart for NASCAR."

Oh well, enough of this.  On to more important things.

Board footer