DVR Chatter

Discussing the DCT-6412, Home Theater Devices, Entertainment, Celebrity and the Cable Industry. Not affiliated with any Cable Company, Hardware Manufacturer or Software Developer.

You are not logged in.

-->

#1 11-14-2006 9:25:44 PM

lgleaner
PM

HDMI switching via a receiver

I'm about to buy a new receiver, but I have heard that many cable boxes don't play nice with receivers that upconvert HDMI signals.

Anyone have any luck in using theire 3412 or 6412 with a receiver that either passes through or upconverts HDMI signals?  If so, any luck with dedicated HDMI switch boxes?

#2 11-15-2006 12:25:47 PM

Georgia Guy
Charter Member
PM

Re: HDMI switching via a receiver

Maybe I'm not knowlegable enough about this, but I think most people with high-end receivers simply connect an optical connection from the 6412, etc, to the receiver, mute the tv, and play the audio thru the receiver and its speakers.  That's what I do, anyway.

Last edited by Georgia Guy (11-15-2006 12:26:12 PM)

#3 11-15-2006 1:29:23 PM

lgleaner
PM

I'm actually asking about video pass-through only.  My projector only has 1 HDMI input, and I woulld like to use my receiver as a switchbox for the different video sources.  Unfortunately, I've read lots of complaints about HDMI from a cable box not passing through the receiver correctly - different things about handshake issues, HDCP compliance, and other issues that your average Comcast tech wouldn't even be able to spell.

#4 02-25-2007 11:51:44 PM

cubanomx
PM

lgleaner wrote:

I'm about to buy a new receiver, but I have heard that many cable boxes don't play nice with receivers that upconvert HDMI signals.

Anyone have any luck in using theire 3412 or 6412 with a receiver that either passes through or upconverts HDMI signals?  If so, any luck with dedicated HDMI switch boxes?

If you connect your HDMI output in your 3412 to your home theater and your home theater to your tv, you cannot view a thing. I already try that with my super expensive Yamaha unit and the tv shows a message indicating the hdmi signal do not accept re-transmition or something like that.

this is a limitation of the dvr box.

i connect the hdmi from the motorola directly to the tv and works ok.

Board footer