DVR Chatter

Discussing the DCT-6412, Home Theater Devices, Entertainment, Celebrity and the Cable Industry. Not affiliated with any Cable Company, Hardware Manufacturer or Software Developer.

You are not logged in.

-->

#1 10-30-2006 8:58:53 PM

jganyard
PM

Finally taking the HD plunge.

Well we're finally doing it.  My wife and I bought two new TVs this weekend that are being delivered at the end of the week!

Samsung 46" LCD flat panel for the living room.
http://www.samsung.com/Products/TV/LCDT … 2DXXAA.asp

LG 32" LCD flat panel for our bedroom.
http://us.lge.com/products/model/detail … LC2D.jhtml

Finally we'll be taking full advantage of our 6412 phase 1.

However, the Sammy has two HDMI inputs and the 6412 model I have has a DVI out.  Is this the correct adaptor I should get at Monoprice (along with an HDMI cable also)?
http://www.monoprice.com/products/produ … amp;style=

We're totally geeking out about our new TVs.  Right now I'm not sure what we'll do about the cable box in the bedroom.  It's an SD Moto box, however the LG has a built-in QAM tuner so I'm thinking we'll just keep that box and use a splitter to run a direct cable input into the TV; using the built-in tuner for any HD viewing.  Don't know if we want to pay another $10 a month for another DVR yet.

JG

#2 10-30-2006 11:53:05 PM

Frank
DVR Chatter Honcho
PM  Website

Re: Finally taking the HD plunge.

Congrats on the new purchases.

If you have Digital Simulcast in your area, your QAM tuner will get you the DS of all of your local SD channels, selected "basic cable" channels, and HD on your local channels.  You'll not be able to pick up ESPN-HD, INHD, Discovery HD, TNT-HD, etc on that tuner.  Only channels broadcast "in the clear"  At least that's the way it is here.

As a bonus, though, you'll be able to see some of what your neighbors are watching on demand.  It's kind of weird.  Some of mine are pervs.  I just can't figure out who.

#3 10-31-2006 10:03:51 AM

jganyard
PM

Yep, we're digital simulcast. 

I wonder if Comcast has a non-DVR HD box that I can swap my SD Moto box for and only continue paying $4.99 for the extra box.... hmmm?

Any idea on the DVI-HDMI adaptor I posted above?

JG

#4 10-31-2006 10:42:28 AM

Brewer247
PM

Instead of the adapter, I would recommend updating your 6412 to a series III or a 3412 or 3416.  Those all have HDMI outputs that allow you to do without the adapter.  Also, with the adapter, you lose the digital audio portion of the HDMI signal.  You will need to get audio to your TV as well (assuming you are using your TV speakers and not a receiver.  Forget the adapter since changing your cable box is the easiest and most cost efficient (free) method.  Not sure about the adapter you asked about, but if you decide that is the method you want to go, here is a good suggestion:  http://www.audioadvisor.com/store/produ … QHDMI-MDVI

Sony KDF-55XS955, Motorola DCT-3412, Denon AVR-3805, Denon DVD-2900, Monster HTS-5100 Signature

#5 10-31-2006 10:44:21 AM

Bobby
Charter Member
PM

They have a Motorola 6200.  That will get you HD via STB in your bedroom.  It will cost you $5.00 plus, I believe, an extra $5.00 for HD service.

#6 10-31-2006 11:48:36 AM

jganyard
PM

I'm a little anxious about changing out my old 6412 for a newer one when I see all the bugs being reported.  My DVR has been chugging along happily for over 2yrs now without any major problems (a few 1989 recordings which I don't even pay attention to and the remote control lag occaisonally).

BTW: I keep it on all the time.  :-)

That $25 adaptor looks the same as the $5 one at Monoprice.  I realize I'll have to make provisions for the sound separately if I go the route of keeping my current 6412.  I'll probably keep the optical audio out on the 6412 connected to my receiver as it is currently and run composite audio to the new TV until I work up the guts and catch up enough on a backlog of recordings to swap for a new DVR (and cross my fingers that they actually bring me a NEW one).  Comcast requires a service call to swap a box where I am.  They won't let you bring them in.

#7 10-31-2006 1:25:41 PM

Wareagle
Charter Member
PM

I'd suggest keeping a reliable 6412.  I wish mine hadn't died after 18 months, because the replacement 3412 has had many more issues.

#8 10-31-2006 2:43:36 PM

jganyard
PM

Kinda my feelings Wareagle.  It's been very reliable except for the occaisonal quirk which a soft-reset will fix.  I just ignore the three 1989 recordings that are sitting there not taking up any space.

I guess that'll be what I do.  As long as I go with a digital video input things should be fine (DVI is just as digital as HDMI minus the audio portion).  I didn't buy the TV for it's sound; in fact I didn't even listen to it in the store. 

I'm going to order the Monoprice DVI-HDMI adaptor.  After doing some research on DVI in Wikibooks it looks like it will work just fine.

Can anyone recommend a good upconverting DVD now?  I have a 5-disk Sony and a 6.1 Sony receiver so I'm leaning towards sticking with Sony for the simplicity right now.  I am not going to pick sides in the Blu-Ray vs. HD-DVD war until there is a clear winner (my grampa has racks and racks of old Betamax tapes).  Right now though my gut says Blu-Ray is going to win.

JG

#9 11-07-2006 9:15:37 AM

jganyard
PM

I LOVE HD!

Currently have my 6412 set to output 720p and 4:3 override off.  I did end up going with the DVI-HDMI adaptor.

#10 11-07-2006 12:48:29 PM

Frank
DVR Chatter Honcho
PM  Website

Welcome to the HD party.

Feel free (read: encouraged) to post reviews of your new hardware in the HDTV Programming and Hardware area.

Board footer