DVR Chatter

Discussing the DCT-6412, Home Theater Devices, Entertainment, Celebrity and the Cable Industry. Not affiliated with any Cable Company, Hardware Manufacturer or Software Developer.

You are not logged in.

-->

#1 09-28-2006 4:13:28 PM

mhaider
PM

VOD signal breakup

I subscribe to Midcontinent cable/internet/digital phone in South Dakota, Midco is partially owned by Comcast.  In July Midco started offering VOD in a few towns in SD, including my town.  I've been playing with the VOD and love the service, but more times than not the picture and sound stutters, freezes, etc.  I get the best performance when both tuners of the DCT6416III are on analog channels, but if either or both tuners are on a digital or HD channel it will always have problems with the VOD playback.  I have two DCT 6416III, they were brand new when I had them installed May of 2006, they have worked very well except for the VOD problem I'm having.  I'm not sure if it's the boxes or the incoming signal.  I live in a brand new house which has new wiring and when Midco did the install they put on all new connectors, installed an amp, etc.  A service tech is coming out tomorrow to check it out, but I thought I'd see if I could get some input from this forum too.

Thanks

#2 02-09-2007 9:52:44 PM

Enoon Erehwon
PM

Re: VOD signal breakup

Have you tried unplugging the boxes for 30 seconds, then plugging them back in?

#3 02-10-2007 10:13:23 AM

andyross
Charter Member
PM  Website

OnDemand uses whatever tuner you are using at the time you go into it. If you are on tuner 1, it uses tuner 1. If you are uncertain which tuner is in use, just turn the box off and back on. It will always start on tuner 1. Tuner 1 usually has better signal and noise levels than tuner 2.

It's possible the channels allocated for VOD are either noisy or weak. Unfortunately, you can't determine what channels are used unless you have a TV with a QAM tuner and scan for VOD feeds (they are usually unencrypted.)

In general, whenever you have issues with digital signals breaking up: Try to keep the number of splitter to a minimum, especially on your primary TV. Check the quality of all the RF cables, and make certain they are RG6 and all connectors properly tightened. If you must use splitters, make certain they have frequency ratings, and those ratings are at least 5MHz-900MHz (5MHz-1000MHz [or 1GHz] is better.)

Sony KV-30XBR910, Sony STR-DB930, Sony DVP-NS55P, JVC HR-S3800U, Motorola DCT-6412, Sony KV-13FS100, OneForAll URC-8910.
Andy's UnEmpty Web Page
How to use a Motorola DVR

#4 02-12-2007 10:20:28 AM

jganyard
PM

I've noticed problems with accessing VOD when my tuner is on an HD channel.  Usually changing the channel to an SD channel fixes it and allows me into VOD.

Board footer