DVR Chatter

Discussing the DCT-6412, Home Theater Devices, Entertainment, Celebrity and the Cable Industry. Not affiliated with any Cable Company, Hardware Manufacturer or Software Developer.

You are not logged in.

-->

#1 09-09-2006 10:47:40 PM

rrg
Charter Member
PM

Replaced 6412 with 3416 and XP extraction no longer works

I thought I would ask about this problem here rather than in one of the thousand-page threads at the other place.

I finally had Comcast replace my misbehaving first-generation DCT6412 which, three or four times, had spontaneously reset itself and cleared all recordings and all metadata, exactly as if I had performed a Master Reset (which I had not).

When I put in the request I told the CSR that I wanted a box with an HDMI output but I also asked them to note specifically that I wanted a box with a 160GB hard drive (not knowing whether Comcast was even deploying them yet in my area).

To my surprise, the tech showed up with a DCT3416.

So far, so good, though it's certainly too early to tell.  It's only been a few hours.

The problem I'm having now is that I can't capture data from the 3416 on the XP system that I had been using for captures from the 6412.  I re-downloaded the drivers from http://http://replayguide.sourceforge.net/dct6412/ and installed them as described on that page (though the installation messages differed a little from what's described there).

CapDVHS sees the device ("Digital A/V Tuner Device") but the captures aren't usable--it never detects the resolution of the data.  The streams I tried to capture were network broadcasts, which aren't encrypted, so there should be no issue there.

My two questions are:

(1) How can I delete the driver association so that I can start this over again, perhaps with another set of drivers?  (I think I may still have the old drivers around.)

This is just an XP admin question, I realize.

(2) Is there another set of drivers I should be using rather than the ones I downloaded from the above-mentioned page, something that's known to work better with the 3416?  Or are there some additional tweaks I need to apply, or something obvious that I might have overlooked?

Thanks.

#2 09-10-2006 3:09:37 AM

Frank
DVR Chatter Honcho
PM  Website

Re: Replaced 6412 with 3416 and XP extraction no longer works

Having no experience with the 3412 or 3416, I'm afraid I can't be of much help.  Are you trying the HD versions of the channels, or the SD digital simulcasts?  In theory, both *should* work, but in practice I've only ever tried (and therefore succeeded) with the HD local channels on the 6412.

I hope someone with 341* experience (and some knowledge of undoing the driver stuff) can step up and help you out.  I'd be interested to know what happens with this, as I'm starting to feel like my 6412 is giving me signals that it's not feeling well.

#3 11-04-2007 10:05:29 AM

spawny
PM

rrg... I was searching for a friend on how to dump his DCT6412 III to xp so he could burn dvd and archive. Please if you see this and don't mind could you help us out? Here or direct email spawny@gmail.com

thanx smile

#4 11-04-2007 10:19:12 AM

Frank
DVR Chatter Honcho
PM  Website

This site describes it in pretty great detail.

Board footer